How to place wheel decals on rim?

cenotouno

Apr 3, 2012
I have new decals and I'm wondering if someone know a method to put them on rim's flange first time properly and right?

Use some other tape as a guide.

Trim around your new decals and with the backing paper still on lay it on the rim. Use something like the Scotch "blue" painters tape, that's easily removed, to mark where your decals edges are when you have the decal lined up.

If you still have the old decals on the rim, mark the position before removing.

If it's a big decal like those on a Zipp 404 or deeper (or a disk) or on any all carbon wheel, pre-marking is very handy to ensure that you don't end up sticking the decal onto the braking surface. I know first hand that the adhesive on Zipp decals is very strong - you need to get them on correctly first time.

swampy1970 said:
Use some other tape as a guide.
Trim around your new decals and with the backing paper still on lay it on the rim. Use something like the Scotch "blue" painters tape, that's easily removed, to mark where your decals edges are when you have the decal lined up.
If you still have the old decals on the rim, mark the position before removing.
If it's a big decal like those on a Zipp 404 or deeper (or a disk) or on any all carbon wheel, pre-marking is very handy to ensure that you don't end up sticking the decal onto the braking surface. I know first hand that the adhesive on Zipp decals is very strong - you need to get them on correctly first time.
Thanks I took ur advice it is actually the Mavic Cosmic wheels, I changed the white one it comes with (too loaded) with the clear ones. It's fine --- I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?deddhl

Unless they're black (see photo), decals are a horrible thing to do to a pair of rims.

I have tried and put the cosmic clear decals, the contrast is quite poor. Any suggestions? For sure I don't want to get back to the original white decals.
5ac11825-e312-76d6.jpg

I'd be more worried about ditching those "big decal" tires for something with smaller decals and more grip... ;)

Originally Posted by cenotouno .

Swampy1970
Why what's your take on the Ultremo? No good?
I think ultremo's are good I had them all last season, they're grippy, fast and ride really nice but they wore fast punctured easily and at 6'3 121 pounds I'm not a heavy guy, I'm now on conti gp4000s

Swampy1970
Why what's your take on the Ultremo? No good?
I had a set that came with a Cannondale I bought a couple of years ago and I hated them with a passion. Having previously used Continental's Attack/Force combo I thought the Ultremo's looked good but rode harshly and lacked grip and feedback when pushed hard - definitely not a tire I'd want to ride on a very long and twisty mountain road. The rear seemed to lock up much easier and often unexpectedly (causing my rear to tighten up very quickly /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif ) and it only took a couple of corners to realize that I wasn't going to have as much fun as I did on the Conti's. I even gave the tires a darned good scrubbing to see if it was a problem with mold release compound or something similar - a problem that some high performance car tires have which leads them to be "greasy" until either cleaned with a suitable detergent of just "scrubbed in" a little somewhere safe.

I'm sure they're not the worst tire out there but for the money the likes of the GP4000S are in a different league all together, IMHO.

ARE YOU 6 3 AT 121LB? Did you check Genes book?
Wow. I always got grief for being 6'0" tall and 145 lbs. (when I graduated HS). Now I've added 40 lbs., a lot of which is muscle, though some of it is in a beer storage pouch.

Originally Posted by jpr95 .

Wow. I always got grief for being 6'0" tall and 145 lbs. (when I graduated HS). Now I've added 40 lbs., a lot of which is muscle, though some of it is in a beer storage pouch.
More of a camel front instead of a Camelback?

By the way regarding the Ultremo, I don't have too much ride on them but so far they ride great, they feel great, very good grip and road feeling. I like them I just hope they won't wore out so quickly as people says. --- I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?rys0sr