How to Plan a Ride event

giantTRC1

Nov 8, 2002
Anyone have any suggestions as to resources for a group looking to start a bike ride event?

[quote author=giantTRC1 link=board=6;threadid=2608;start=0#22364 date=1036773412]<br />Anyone have any suggestions as to resources for a group looking to start a bike ride event?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Not sure, you might have to provide alittle more info? what kinda of bike ride? where will it be located? etc....

I was thinking in terms a of a charity ride for special Olympics. Distances of, say, 30, 66, 100 miles. Santa Barbara, CA is where they would take place.

Your major concern will be insurance and collecting the entry fees to cover your costs, you will also need local government approval, police help, volunteers for marshalling, sponsors etc its a big task to organise anything like this!<br /><br />the best thing to do is talk to someone that already organises rides such as the Multiple Sclerosis foundation, they might be able to give you some help<br /><br />you might also want to talk to whoever organises road races in your area since the difference between a road race and a fun ride is minimal<br /><br />good luck!

[quote author=giantTRC1 link=board=6;threadid=2608;start=0#msg22364 date=1036773412]<br />Anyone have any suggestions as to resources for a group looking to start a bike ride event?<br />[/quote]<br />From Shetlander555........Fair Play to you for taking on such a task<br />The advice given from one previous reply was sound ! It is prudent prior to planning such an event to contact one of the Charity organisations. In Shetland whilst working for BP as an operator at the Sullom Voe Terminal myself and a colleague set up a Cycle Fun Run for the Save The Children Fund which ran for 14 years and raised in excess of 50K for our designated Charity.<br />Although the concept wasn't a new idea we added an &quot;end to end&quot; hook ie from one end of the Shetland mainland to the other a distance of 62 miles. We expanded the event for a minimum age group (supervised) of 12 years old and invited parents to support and marshall the event etc etc.<br />If you want more details about the event (and I could talk for days on the buzz we got from the success of the venture) you can either contact me via this site or email me at [email protected].