How to Prepare for a Stage Race

David_Zen

Jun 23, 2003
4 days before my first stage race (9 stages) and I'm not sure what I should be doing. I did a short road race on Saturday (48 miles) and a long group ride 70 miles on Sunday. Today I rest with just a short recovery ride this morning (30 minutes). What should I be doing in the next 4 days? More rest? Short Easy rides? Spinning? The Race starts on Saturday, February 10th. When should I begin to Carbo Load?

David_Zen said:
4 days before my first stage race (9 stages) and I'm not sure what I should be doing. I did a short road race on Saturday (48 miles) and a long group ride 70 miles on Sunday. Today I rest with just a short recovery ride this morning (30 minutes). What should I be doing in the next 4 days? More rest? Short Easy rides? Spinning? The Race starts on Saturday, February 10th. When should I begin to Carbo Load?

You should always take it easy three days out. Last Saturday and Sunday were good but now you need to get well rested and ALLOW for supercompensation(getting stronger).
Today should have been long glycogen deletion ride..but don't sweat it.

The day before do a tune up ride for about an hour. Include some short efforts at threshold and VO2 max but DO NOT fatigue yourself.

Next time do a taper. Tapers for stage races are generally pretty short though.

Good luck

+1 at what ti man said. I have found with personal experience that I would always need to put some power down before a race or a tour, but never enough volume at the intensity to cause fatigue. Usually I will ride for an hour, do a few sprints to 60 signs a 2 minute climb at a solid pace and about 2-3 mins on the flat just above LT.

The two days prior to this mini hitout should be EASY or total rest and you should load on the carbs. For the first half of the week do little volume but try and do a little session at each intensity just to make sure all sytems are GO!!!

Thanks for the advice guys but you both said different things.

"dm69" said:
The two days prior to this mini hitout should be EASY or total rest

"TiMan" said:
The day before do a tune up ride for about an hour. Include some short efforts at threshold and VO2 max but DO NOT fatigue yourself.

I guess it is what works best for each individual and I'll eventually find out what works best for me but I am definitely going to take it easy for the rest of this week and do a tune up ride the day before.

Zen

I'll be coming down there for your race as well. Riding for BikeAmerica. I just joined on the team last week and I wasn't preparing for a 9day, but experience will get me through, so I thought this would be the best way to start my season.

In my years with a number of multi day stage races, the best advice was always, "less is better" in the final week. Not much can be done now, but digging too deep and not letting the muscles recover proper will send you into the race fatigued from the start, which in turn, will put you in a bad place from the start. Just follow the above advice and rest a lot, with some short rides and a little bit of intensity to keep sharp.

I as well did some big efforts this past weekend, with a training crit on Sat and a big effort at our local training ride on Sun. From there, I will take off Mon and Tues to refresh the muscles. Then a good day on Wed with a light ride to open back up in the morning, followed by a fast group ride Wed night, where I will do some good speed and some jumps, but no grinding/mashing.

Thurs will be a light ride and packing for the race. Fri is a travel day, but our team will find a way to get a solid ride before dinner when we arrive, otherwise, Sat 1st stage will be a brute. Gotta' stay open and ready. Being blocked on the first day can mean trouble, once the crosswinds hit.

And don't forget to eat. I sometimes put away more calories than I need during stage races and end up gaining weight. No big deal. It's way better than not eating enough and being constantly depleted.

Not sure why I am replying to this thread, as you are my competition! Probably just to reinforce what I need to do with my own prep.

Is it true that the weekday stages start at 6am? That's crazy! Hope that is not the case. Have to find ways to sleep during the afternoon I guess.

Look forward to meeting you and enjoying the countryside with the peloton.

--Mike Starr (long blond hair)

ps- Do you guys have fresh fruit everywhere? Especially bananas. I can't wait for that stuff.

David_Zen said:
Thanks for the advice guys but you both said different things.

No bro we said the same thing....
....but I can see that my wording is confusing

......I meant ALL three days before the stage race should be easy, and especially two days before. The day before should be a short tune up ride...but still an easy day. Two days before as well as three days before should be recovery rides REALLY easy with NO pressure on the pedals for an hour or even less...OR OFF the bike altogether or go for a brisk walk).

YMCA said:
Zen
Not sure why I am replying to this thread, as you are my competition!
:) :)

Hi Mike,

One of the reasons I am doing the tour is to learn from the more experienced riders like yourself. I am pretty new to cycling and as I said this is my first tour. So thanks for the tips.

Yes, weekday stages do start at 6am! I know, it's crazy but many of our race officials and volunteers and even some riders have to go to work during the week.

You'll find plenty of fresh fruits everywhere, especially bananas. You can get as much as 16 bananas for just USD $1.00!

See you in the peloton!