How to prepare roe for caviar? URGENT!

Jeff Potter

Guest
I've been looking up roe/caviar online and find many references but NO RECIPES!

Does anyone know how to prepare fresh roe as caviar? Is there a generic/standard method?

Here's my specifics: I have some fresh BOWFIN ROE. I've been reading that it makes a good sturgeon
substitute. I'm curious. This is also called Cajun Caviar and Choupique.

I also have some fresh PERCH ROE. I see that Scandinavians like it. There are a couple recipes out
there for it from a N. Dakota person---he uses it more in cooking than as caviar, same with the Scandis---
claims good things for his perch egg pasta sauteed with garlic and white wine. Probably can't go
wrong, but verification would be nice!

I've been catching these things while icefishing and don't want to waste the roe.

But I think we need to eat it sooner than later!

THANKS!

--

Jeff Potter
****

OK, I finally googled better and found the following. I suppose it's sufficient. If you know of
better, please let me know. Thanks!

http://www.premiersystems.com/recipes/appetizers/caviar.html

--

Jeff Potter
****
*Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com
publisher of outdoor/indoor do-it-yourself culture...
...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies...
...rare books on ski, bike, boat culture, plus a Gulf Coast thriller
about smalltown smuggling ... radical novels coming up!
...original downloadable music ... and articles galore!
plus national travel forums! HOLY SMOKES! 800-763-6923

OK, I've seen some online pics of small-eggs still in their sacs---Scandinavians maybe serve them
this way, salted.

However, the previous link says to remove the eggs from the membranes.

I'm trying to make caviar out of bowfin---said to be a good sturgeon substitute---but the eggs are
small and do not come away from their membranes freely.

It's not so much an external membrane holding them in, but connective membrane between all eggs.

So I guess I'll leave the eggs as clusters and see what happens. Anyone know if this is good or bad?

I'm also working with yellow perch eggs, but so far the online recipes call for cooking these, not
making them into caviar. I note that they have an exterior membrane that easily breaks, spilling
eggs freely.

Anyone who knows the score, please share!

--

Jeff Potter
****
*Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com
publisher of outdoor/indoor do-it-yourself culture...
...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies...
...rare books on ski, bike, boat culture, plus a Gulf Coast thriller
about smalltown smuggling ... radical novels coming up!
...original downloadable music ... and articles galore!
plus national travel forums! HOLY SMOKES! 800-763-6923

"Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK, I've seen some online pics of small-eggs still in their sacs---Scandinavians maybe serve them
> this way, salted.
>
> However, the previous link says to remove the eggs from the membranes.
>
> I'm trying to make caviar out of bowfin---said to be a good sturgeon substitute---but the eggs are
> small and do not come away from their membranes freely.
>
> It's not so much an external membrane holding them in, but connective membrane between all eggs.
>
> So I guess I'll leave the eggs as clusters and see what happens. Anyone know if this is
> good or bad?
>
> I'm also working with yellow perch eggs, but so far the online recipes call for cooking these, not
> making them into caviar. I note that they have an exterior membrane that easily breaks, spilling
> eggs freely.
>
> Anyone who knows the score, please share!
>
> --

Skip the caviar idea and fry 'em up with a little bacon, much like shad roe.

Jack Perch

In rec.food.cooking, Jeff Potter <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's not so much an external membrane holding them in, but connective membrane between all eggs.

> So I guess I'll leave the eggs as clusters and see what happens. Anyone know if this is
> good or bad?

sounds totally disgusting to me. YMMV.

--
...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

Yeah, it does, but when they describe it as a quality substitute for sturgeon caviar, it makes me
wonder! Also, there's a sizeable new market for this stuff. It's being sold and enjoyed. But how to
handle it?

--

Jeff Potter
****
*Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com
publisher of outdoor/indoor do-it-yourself culture...
...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies...
...rare books on ski, bike, boat culture, plus a Gulf Coast thriller
about smalltown smuggling ... radical novels coming up!
...original downloadable music ... and articles galore!
plus national travel forums! HOLY SMOKES! 800-763-6923

PS: I made my caviar according to the link above and it was GREAT. Touche'!

--

Jeff Potter
****

The link at post #2: http://www.premiersystems.com/recipes/appetizers/caviar.html