how to prevent your bike from being stolen..

keyia

Aug 9, 2013
I'm looking to buy a bike and start commute to work by biking. It is exciting because it's been almost 10 years since I last ride a bike regularly to school. However, the record of stolen bike outside our building is scary. Several co-workers have their pretty expensive bikes stolen and one now is forced to have a folding bike and put it in his cubicle. I don't want to have a folding bike and I can't leave the bike in the office. It's really frustrating if I buy a bike and expect it almost for sure to be stolen in the near future...

So I'm just curious, what are your tips/methods to prevent your bike from stolen.. anyone never lost a bike?

keyia said:
I'm looking to buy a bike and start commute to work by biking. It is exciting because it's been almost 10 years since I last ride a bike regularly to school. However, the record of stolen bike outside our building is scary. Several co-workers have their pretty expensive bikes stolen and one now is forced to have a folding bike and put it in his cubicle. I don't want to have a folding bike and I can't leave the bike in the office. It's really frustrating if I buy a bike and expect it almost for sure to be stolen in the near future...  So I'm just curious, what are your tips/methods to prevent your bike from stolen.. anyone never lost a bike?
me, in 35 years have got a couple of close calls anyway, a) don't use a fancy expensive bike for commuting b) use more than one locking device every time, one of them being a U-Lock c) back home the bike goes inside with you d) talk it over with security staff to see if you can park your bike inside the building in the car parking area e) if not possible, look for a safer place to park even if that means walking a few blocks away from the danger zone in front of your building f) do a quick poll with your collegues with stolen bikes, maybe they didn't take enough care in prevention

Originally Posted by vspa .

me, in 35 years
have got a couple of close calls anyway,

a) don't use a fancy expensive bike for commuting
b) use more than one locking device every time, one of them being a U-Lock
c) back home the bike goes inside with you
d) talk it over with security staff to see if you can park your bike inside the building in the car parking area
e) if not possible, look for a safer place to park even if that means walking a few blocks away from the danger zone in front of your building
f) do a quick poll with your collegues with stolen bikes, maybe they didn't take enough care in prevention
or just carry it with you in your office.

Originally Posted by keyia .

I'm looking to buy a bike and start commute to work by biking. It is exciting because it's been almost 10 years since I last ride a bike regularly to school. However, the record of stolen bike outside our building is scary. Several co-workers have their pretty expensive bikes stolen and one now is forced to have a folding bike and put it in his cubicle. I don't want to have a folding bike and I can't leave the bike in the office. It's really frustrating if I buy a bike and expect it almost for sure to be stolen in the near future...

So I'm just curious, what are your tips/methods to prevent your bike from stolen.. anyone never lost a bike?
Find another place to cycle and commute. A place where there are no thieves.

If you do insist on commuting to a thief infested area you will need some heavy locks, not so much for ultimately protecting the bike (if it is gonna get stolen, they will steal it anyway, all it takes for the best lock to get cut with the crudest tools is just under an hour, if the lock is not "picked" somehow).

I have a 13.5kg commuter. With the lock I am using it ends up at around 16kg!!! Not as much fun to cycle with that ammount of weight.

You can try leaving your lock in the building and just lock the bike once you are back there. Locks dont get as much stolen maybe as bikes. Allthough somebody might cut it to remove it from the rail / parking area.

Try either a U-lock or one of these heavy chain and padlock combinations (like the Kryptonite NY-chain or something).

Good luck!

Once i get brave enough to ride to work i will be able to put the bike inside my office..... :)