How to pronounce SRAM?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Eric S. Sande, Feb 4, 2003.

  1. Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 5 Feb 2003

    > > -> but I'm wracking my brains for an example of an -> English word that uses this as a vocalised
    > > digraph. It is an unusual -> sound in normal English.

    > > hrmm does sri lanka count only thing that came to mind and its not exactly english

    > Good example! But it only reinforces my theory that the "sr" digraph is foreign to English.

    Messroom. Pressrun.

    Srebrenica (not English, but unfortunately a lot of news anchors and other people had to learn to
    pronounce it a few years ago.)

    Ben English is vast, and contains multitudes

  2. Zwieback

    Zwieback Guest

    On 6 Feb 2003 23:11:52 -0800, [email protected] (Benjamin Weiner) from
    http://groups.google.com/ wrote:

    >Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> [email protected] wrote:
    >> > Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 5 Feb 2003
    >
    >> > -> but I'm wracking my brains for an example of an -> English word that uses this as a
    >> > vocalised digraph. It is an unusual -> sound in normal English.
    >
    >> > hrmm does sri lanka count only thing that came to mind and its not exactly english
    >
    >> Good example! But it only reinforces my theory that the "sr" digraph is foreign to English.
    >
    >Messroom. Pressrun.

    Compound words don't count, because they are two words put together.

    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace As President I have to go vacuum my coin
    collection!

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 6 Feb 2003 23:11:52 -0800, [email protected] (Benjamin Weiner) wrote:

    >Srebrenica (not English, but unfortunately a lot of news anchors and other people had to learn to
    >pronounce it a few years ago.)

    This conversation is taking on a sreal tone. 'Sright to assume that we ought to be able to pronounce
    it, though.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  4. In article <[email protected]>, ZwieBack <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

    > On 6 Feb 2003 23:11:52 -0800, [email protected] (Benjamin Weiner) from
    > http://groups.google.com/ wrote:
    >
    > >Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> Good example! But it only reinforces my theory that the "sr" digraph is foreign to English.
    > >
    > >Messroom. Pressrun.
    >
    > Compound words don't count, because they are two words put together.

    More specifically, those words have a syllable break over the "sr" digraph, making it two separate
    sounds, which isn't hard at all:

    mess'-room. press'-run.

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 16:07:06 -0500, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Anyway, it used to be easy to say "Sachs", or "Sedis", how do you say "SRAM"?
    > >
    > >They knew what I wanted, though, but I'm sure I was pronouncing it wrong.
    >
    > You mean it's not "ess-ram?" And by what authority is it - or isn't it?
    >
    > IMHO, if a company names itself with random letters (acronym or not), they'd better be willing to
    > put up with all kinds of pronunciations.
    >
    > Pat

    People used to pronounce is S-RAM but it is SHRAM. If you ever want to know these things just call
    them and listen to the welcome message.
    --
    _________________________

  6. Chris Phillipo wrote:

    > People used to pronounce is S-RAM but it is SHRAM. If you ever want to know these things just call
    > them and listen to the welcome message.

    You mean they pronounce it differently than their own FAQ says? Or perhaps the person recording the
    message had trouble saying ``SRAM''.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you
    underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." --Matt Groening

  7. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Benjamin Lewis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Chris Phillipo wrote:
    >
    > > People used to pronounce is S-RAM but it is SHRAM. If
    you ever want to
    > > know these things just call them and listen to the
    welcome message.

    > You mean they pronounce it differently than their own FAQ
    says?
    > Or perhaps the person recording the message had trouble
    saying ``SRAM''.

    Maybe they're Welsh, with a consonant fetish. I once knew a Welsh guy named Tm (pronounced "Tim").

    Matt O.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Chris Phillipo wrote:
    >
    > > People used to pronounce is S-RAM but it is SHRAM. If you ever want to know these things just
    > > call them and listen to the welcome message.
    >
    > You mean they pronounce it differently than their own FAQ says? Or perhaps the person recording
    > the message had trouble saying ``SRAM''.

    ...that would be because the "sr" digraph is not common in English.

    [warning: this thread has an infinite loop]

  9. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Anyway, it used to be easy to say "Sachs", or "Sedis", how do you say "SRAM"?

    I just say: "I need a new chain". Except last time, I got some Made in China thing; the box says: "Z
    Chain". 8 Cdn bux. The box also says, on the back, "KMC Chain Industrial Co., Ltd."

    I dunno how to make a word out of 'KMC'. I don't even know if the 'K' is silent.

    cheers, Tom

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 8 Feb 2003 07:33:44 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:

    >Except last time, I got some Made in China thing; the box says: "Z Chain". 8 Cdn bux.

    You wuz robbed! Those Z chains suck badly. Every bike I've had shifting trouble with has been fitted
    with one, and the shifting trouble has always gone away when a SRAM chain is fitted.

    Hey - an idea! Ask for a "Powerlink" chain - anyone can pronounce that :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  11. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Sat, 08 Feb 2003 16:01:05 +0000, <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you
    know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 8 Feb 2003 07:33:44 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
    >
    >>Except last time, I got some Made in China thing; the box says: "Z Chain". 8 Cdn bux.

    That's pronounced "zed chain" and it's the only chain I've ever broken. "Zee chain" is sold, in the
    same boxes, further south.

    >Hey - an idea! Ask for a "Powerlink" chain - anyone can pronounce that :)

    Being an old fart, I can get away with asking for Sedis chain and then let the person behind the
    counter decide how to pronounce SRAM when they correct me. Or, I'll simply request chain by size and
    let them offer their selection.
    --
    zk

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 11:26:08 -0800, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Being an old fart, I can get away with asking for Sedis chain

    Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, ay Gessiah?

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  13. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    > Hey - an idea! Ask for a "Powerlink" chain - anyone can
    pronounce
    > that :)

    Yup. And everyone could pronounce "Gripshift," too.

    Matt O.

  14. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    > Hey - an idea! Ask for a "Powerlink" chain - anyone can pronounce that :)

    Trouble is, my Z Chain came with a PowerLink. Anyway, a knock-off thereof. The chain is
    supposed to be the equivalent of a lowly PC-48, and it hasn't given me any grief ... yet. We'll
    see what happens.

    cheers, Tom

  15. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > Hey - an idea! Ask for a "Powerlink" chain - anyone can pronounce that :)
    >
    > Trouble is, my Z Chain came with a PowerLink. Anyway, a knock-off thereof. The chain is supposed
    > to be the equivalent of a lowly PC-48, and it hasn't given me any grief ... yet. We'll see what
    > happens.
    >

    > cheers, Tom

    If oyu want to gauge how long a bike shop employee has been inthe business, just ask for a
    Sedisport chain :)
    --
    _________________________

  16. Van Bagnol

    Van Bagnol Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Andrew
    Webster) wrote:

    > Patrick Lamb <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > You mean it's not "ess-ram?" And by what authority is it - or isn't it?
    > >
    > By authority of the company - there is a section on the SRAM web site on how to pronounce it
    > (really!)
    >
    > See http://www.sram.com/tech_info/faq_display.asp?faq_id=10

    Now that that's out of the way, how does one pronounce the name of saddle bag and pannier maker
    "Jandd"? Is it short for "J and D" or "Jan & Deedee" or "Jan de Detroit" or what?

    Van

    --
    Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com ...enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing /
    Skydiving / Mountain Biking ...feels - "Parang lumalakad ako sa loob ng paniginip" ...thinks - "An

  17. Alan

    Alan Guest

    It's actually pronounced 'Ignetowski'....but it's spelled Jandd.

    --

    alan

    Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."

    > Now that that's out of the way, how does one pronounce the name of saddle bag and pannier maker
    > "Jandd"? Is it short for "J and D" or "Jan & Deedee" or "Jan de Detroit" or what?

  18. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Van Bagnol wrote:

    > how does one pronounce the name of saddle bag and pannier maker "Jandd"?

    I pronounce it "JAN-duh-duh". The guy in the LBS just stares blankly when I do, so it must
    be correct.

  19. Rich Clark

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Van Bagnol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Now that that's out of the way, how does one pronounce the name of saddle bag and pannier maker
    > "Jandd"? Is it short for "J and D" or "Jan & Deedee" or "Jan de Detroit" or what?

    "About the company David Sisson, a student at the University of California, Santa Barbara, founded
    Jandd Mountaineering in 1983. An avid outdoorsman, David took a leave of absence from school and set
    out to write a book about backpacking in the Los Padres forest. This adventure led him to the
    invention of his first product, called the Topolite, which was a nylon tube designed to store and
    carry rolled maps and attach to the outside of a pack. The name, "Jandd", was coined from the
    combination of David's initials and those of his girlfriend (at the time), Joyce. "J and D" became
    "Jandd" when they split in the fall of 1983."