How to protect skewer from Ind. trainer?

rjcgix

Oct 30, 2003
Greetings,

Not sure if all indoor trainers are like this...especially cause I have seen some that come with extra quick release skewers.
But my indoor trainer did NOT come with an extra skewer.

But when I attach my bike to the trainer...the trainers arms scuffs up the nice new skewer on the bike.
Is there any way around this? Any ideas?

Or is the best thing to do is get an extra skewer, and remove the stock one that came with the bike before putting it on the trainer? Just wondering if there is an easier way? :confused:

rjcgix said:
Greetings,

Not sure if all indoor trainers are like this...especially cause I have seen some that come with extra quick release skewers.

But when I attach my bike to the trainer...the trainers arms scuffs up the nice new skewer on the bike.

Or is the best thing to do is get an extra skewer, and remove the stock one that came with the bike before putting it on the trainer? Just wondering if there is an easier way? :confused:
Go your LBS and ask for a Shimano skewer, and tell them why. They've been down this road before.

rjcgix said:
Greetings,

I can't imagine anything easier than replacing the skewer. You don't even have to remove the wheel. As the other guy said, go to LBS and buy a replacement. If your current QR is already beat up, buy a nice one to use off the trainer and continue to use the beat up one. With the exception of titanium, they are cheap.

Camilo said:
I can't imagine anything easier than replacing the skewer. You don't even have to remove the wheel. As the other guy said, go to LBS and buy a replacement. If your current QR is already beat up, buy a nice one to use off the trainer and continue to use the beat up one. With the exception of titanium, they are cheap.

Thanks all. Its what I did, go to the LBS and buy and extra skewer. He had an older one, a shimano skewer made of chrome metal on both sides, nice and sturdy!!! $15 bucks and now the nice new black one that came with the bike doesnt have to get all beaten up!!! :rolleyes:

rudycyclist said:
Wow, they charged you $15 for a heavy steel skewer? Seems pricey to me.

Trust me, I said the same thing!!! But when you only got 2 LBS's in town, and the next closest ones are 50 miles, :eek: :mad: they can pretty much reem you however they see fit!!!

rudycyclist said:
Wow, they charged you $15 for a heavy steel skewer? Seems pricey to me.
+1.

I was going to say the same thing BECAUSE, in the past, I've bought a new, Acera (low end, but almost as good) Shimano hub (I needed a 36h hub shell -- I needed to replace the "short" freehub with a normal 9-speed freehub, but that's another story) for about that much AFTER shipping, and it came with a skewer!

rjcgix, you've got to introduce yourself to either mail order (e.g., Nashbar, Colorado Cyclist, Excel, etc.) and/or eBay ... or, both.

If you bought your trainer from that shop, too, then you're going to want to learn to become independent of their sales-and-service ... there are several maintenance books ... if your library doesn't carry them, request them through Inter-library loan.

FWIW. The $40 (mail order price) basic toolkit that comes in a hard plastc case is good for most repairs (the quality of the tools varies from barely acceptable to very good) ... I used to buy my non-bike specific tools from Sears (it was almost impossible to find Metric tools anywhere else at the time), and got most of my bike specific tools (e.g., headset/BB wrenches -- obsolete tools, now, unless you are working on a "vintage" bike) through mail order.

alfeng said:
+1.

I was going to say the same thing BECAUSE, in the past, I've bought a new, Acera (low end, but almost as good) Shimano hub (I needed a 36h hub shell -- I needed to replace the "short" freehub with a normal 9-speed freehub, but that's another story) for about that much AFTER shipping, and it came with a skewer!

rjcgix, you've got to introduce yourself to either mail order (e.g., Nashbar, Colorado Cyclist, Excel, etc.) and/or eBay ... or, both.

If you bought your trainer from that shop, too, then you're going to want to learn to become independent of their sales-and-service ... there are several maintenance books ... if your library doesn't carry them, request them through Inter-library loan.

FWIW. The $40 (mail order price) basic toolkit that comes in a hard plastc case is good for most repairs (the quality of the tools varies from barely acceptable to very good) ... I used to buy my non-bike specific tools from Sears (it was almost impossible to find Metric tools anywhere else at the time), and got most of my bike specific tools (e.g., headset/BB wrenches -- obsolete tools, now, unless you are working on a "vintage" bike) through mail order.

Thanks for the suggestions. With the prices of local bike shops, (I also ride motorcycles, and you run into the same super high prices in regards to that hobby too :mad: ) I Always look online first!! But even at Nashbar, they wanted 12 for a set of skewers plus the $8 dollars shipping. I would have saved a few dollars, but In this particular case, I didnt want to wait for the skewer to arrive a week later.
But oh yeah, I try and get the best deals and your right, the local LBS is NOT the place for that!!

Ill deffinetly look into getting a book or two and some basic tools for tune-ups, cause yup, that will cost an arm and a leg also!! :eek:

rjcgix said:
Thanks for the suggestions. With the prices of local bike shops, (I also ride motorcycles, and you run into the same super high prices in regards to that hobby too :mad: ) I Always look online first!! But even at Nashbar, they wanted 12 for a set of skewers plus the $8 dollars shipping. I would have saved a few dollars, but In this particular case, I didnt want to wait for the skewer to arrive a week later.
But oh yeah, I try and get the best deals and your right, the local LBS is NOT the place for that!!

Ill deffinetly look into getting a book or two and some basic tools for tune-ups, cause yup, that will cost an arm and a leg also!! :eek:
Yea, your local price is high, but don't sweat the small stuff. With shipping, even if you got a single skewer for $5, you wouldn't be saving more than a few bucks and you got the thing right then and there. That's worth something, as is supporting your LBS when it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg to do so.

I tend to shop and do mail order or ebay for big stuff, but don't mind spending an extra $5 locally even if it is a high percentage of a cheap item.