How to put a chris king headset on?

bmx_squirrel

Sep 6, 2006
Can someone please tell me how to put on a threadless headset on step by step.
I bought it off of E-bay and it came with the pieces mixed up.

Also im installing it for a bmx bike.

Thanks

Squirrel

bmx_squirrel said:

Thanks

Squirrel

Thats the kinda' service you get from ebay, and why LBSs are going out of business.

Their website gives you the details.
Here's the one for a threadless model. It can be done without the special tools, but is not recommended by them. LBS shy away from installing them, as the Chris King company requires mandatory competancy training before allowing them to become a dealer.

http://www.chrisking.com/pdfs/NoThreadSet.pdf

"Thats the kinda' service you get from ebay, and why LBSs are going out of business."- Xsmoker

Most People who own bike shops have a horrible sense of business. If the LBS's don’t want to play the price competition game then they will be run out of business. I am not saying this is a good thing but it is reality. I bought campy shifters on the net for almost $100 less than at my LBS, over all I saved about $800 on my last build. That is a huge gap in price there is no reason for that much mark up on these products. We all want the highest value we can get for our money and anyone who says different is lying. So when someone feels ripped off or taken they will never make a return purchase at that retailer.

Maybe people should be more direct to there bike shop? Tell them the truth. See what they do.

Web shops and ebay have lower prices for a few important reasons. Their wholesalers are cheaper because they buy eveything in such bulk. When is the last time you saw an LBS stock 400 pairs of bibs? Probikekit's prices are lower than wholesale for some items in Aus, like DA wheels. It is hard for a small bike shop to compete with such a large buying force. Not a happy prospect.

Bike shop prices aren't usually that much more than internet shops once you factor in shipping and handling. I noticed that with Performance and Bike Nashbar. Plus bobby is right, the internet shops have bigger buying power. Manufacturers give discounts for bulk quantities that LBS's cannot compete with. Plus at a shop, you can see the product in your hands. Personally, I like to see the merchandise in person. Yeah there are some really good deals on the internet, I have bought a few. But there is something to be said about finding a nice LBS with a knowledgable staff who loves to ride.

bmx_squirrel said:

Thanks

Squirrel
Many/Most/(all?) BMX frames have a 30.2 inner diameter (1 1/8") headtube ... but, often the fork is what a roadie would consider a 1" fork steerer.

Is THAT the case with your frame & fork?

Do you have a 1 1/8" headset? A 1" headset?

I think there is a work-around ... but, I'm not sure since I only have 1" Chris King headsets and I'm not sure about the dimensions of the 1 1/8" Chris King headset.