General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

How to read the Harvey's map?

Started by Peewiglet · · Last activity · 3 posts · 280 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 September 2004
Last activity
17 September 2004
Original author
Peewiglet
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
280
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've never used a Harvey map before, but I've read good things about
    them and think they may suit me better than the OS 1:25k.

    I'm reading about the map legend in the Anquet help file, but I can't
    find an explanation of the different colours on the screen. For
    instance, I'm using the Lakes map and looking at the Scafell Pike
    area. Scafell etc are shown in a sort of flexh colour, whereas some
    surrounding land is in a lighter shade. Can anyone tell me what this
    means, please? It doesn't seem to correspond to any of the colours
    shown in the legend in the help file, as far as I can tell.

    I paid for this map by card on the phone direct from Anquet before
    10.30 on Tuesday morning, and asked if they could post it out that
    afternoon because I was hoping to use it this weekend. There wasn't a
    supplier near me where I could pick one up. It's a little
    disappointing that despite my request they didn't actually send it
    until Thursday, and now that I'm home from work and able to install it
    there's no-one there to help. It's not the end of the world, but I'm
    not very impressed.

    Best wishes,
    --
    Peewiglet

  2. On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:19:30 +0100, Peewiglet <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    Hmmm... scrub that query: I've found the answer. It's to do with
    height. I thought it must be, but couldn't find it. Now I'm further
    confused, though, becaus I'd been looking the Harvey 1:25k legend,
    whereas the answer is in the Superscale 1:25k. Can anyone tell me what
    the difference is between Harvey 1:25k and Superscale?

    (I realise it's probably a stupid question, but this really is how
    thick I am about maps. I can't help it...)

    Best wishes,
    --
    Peewiglet

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, Peewiglet
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    I've never used a Harvey map before, but I've read good things about
    them and think they may suit me better than the OS 1:25k.

    I'm reading about the map legend in the Anquet help file, but I can't
    find an explanation of the different colours on the screen. For
    instance, I'm using the Lakes map and looking at the Scafell Pike
    area. Scafell etc are shown in a sort of flexh colour, whereas some
    surrounding land is in a lighter shade. Can anyone tell me what this
    means, please? It doesn't seem to correspond to any of the colours
    shown in the legend in the help file, as far as I can tell.

    I only have paper Harvey's maps so this might not be a lot of help...

    Is it the background colour you are talking about or the colours of the
    contours? Harvey use background colours to indicate the type of
    vegetation. Fell or moorland are white and rough pasture ivory. The
    other thing it might be is that areas of scattered rock / boulder are
    indicated by small dots and contours over rocky ground are grey whereas
    they are brown elsewhere.

    I hope that is a bit of help.

    Quoted message said:


    I paid for this map by card on the phone direct from Anquet before
    10.30 on Tuesday morning, and asked if they could post it out that
    afternoon because I was hoping to use it this weekend. There wasn't a
    supplier near me where I could pick one up. It's a little
    disappointing that despite my request they didn't actually send it
    until Thursday, and now that I'm home from work and able to install it
    there's no-one there to help. It's not the end of the world, but I'm
    not very impressed.

    It is great when we get good service but that does tend to highlight the
    occasions when people drop the ball.

    --

    Dominic Sexton
    http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.