How to refinish?paint Kestrel Carbon Fork.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Goodtime, Mar 17, 2003.

  1. Goodtime

    Goodtime Guest

    How do I refinish/paint a Kestrel EMS carbon fork. The problem is it says litspeed in yellow letters
    down the blades and I'm not gonna put it on a litespeed. I want to paint the whole fork solid red.

    Is there a stripper that I should use before I pain?

    Should I just rough up the surface a little with emory cloth before I paint?

    What brand of paint it there are recommendations?

    Any other points regarding this project?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Goodtime" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How do I refinish/paint a Kestrel EMS carbon fork. The problem is it says litspeed in yellow
    > letters down the blades and I'm not gonna put it on a litespeed. I want to paint the whole fork
    > solid red.
    >
    > Is there a stripper that I should use before I pain?
    >
    > Should I just rough up the surface a little with emory cloth before I paint?
    >
    > What brand of paint it there are recommendations?
    >
    > Any other points regarding this project?

    Wetsand with 400 to get the decals off, bring it up with 600 and then seal with a modern auto
    primer/sealer, add finish to choice over that.

  3. [email protected] (Goodtime) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > How do I refinish/paint a Kestrel EMS carbon fork. The problem is it says litspeed in yellow
    > letters down the blades and I'm not gonna put it on a litespeed. I want to paint the whole fork
    > solid red.
    >
    > Is there a stripper that I should use before I pain? Should I just rough up the surface a little
    > with emory cloth before I paint? What brand of paint it there are recommendations? Any other
    > points regarding this project? Thanks.

    Absolutely do not use a paint stripper of any kind and if anyone recommends a sandblaster, run the
    other way. You can sand back the current paint and decals or just rough the surface up and paint it.
    320 grit wet/dry sandpaper works great for this sort of thing and 150 grit dry works well to take
    off a thick clear coat over multiple layers. No paint recommendations from me. When I strip carbon I
    leave it nekkid. Depending on the case I'll paint it back up with a thin coat of epoxy resin.

  4. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    [email protected] (Goodtime) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > How do I refinish/paint a Kestrel EMS carbon fork. The problem is it says litspeed in yellow
    > letters down the blades and I'm not gonna put it on a litespeed. I want to paint the whole fork
    > solid red.
    >
    > Is there a stripper that I should use before I pain?
    >
    > Should I just rough up the surface a little with emory cloth before I paint?
    >
    > What brand of paint it there are recommendations?
    >
    > Any other points regarding this project?

    From Damon Rinard via Sheldon Brown's website:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/carbonqa.htm#Painting

  5. brad

    brad Guest

    I have a Kestrel KM40 that had a huge (2 inch by 2 inch) chip of paint come off just below the back
    seatpost - thanks to American Airlines. It was bare to the carbon when I touched it up with the
    paint... It now has a significant ledge on the edge of the chip now and some brush marks that are
    really annoying me.

    I was going to try to wet sand down the whole area until it is level and then try to touch it up
    again... but last time I had all kinds of brush marks.

    Is there a right way to try to level this up and touch it up?

    Thanks, Brad