How to release stuck pedal ?

Can anyone please give me some advice on how to release a right hand
side pedal from the crank arm - it feels totally jammed in position. I
am trying to loosen it by turning anticlockwise (which I believe is the
correct way for a right hand pedal) - have resorted at moment to lying
bike on its side, and coating screw thread with oil so hopefully some
will get into thread. (My own silly fault for not greasing thread,
prior to putting pedal on, which is something I usually do). Any advice
would be welcome !!!

Its an old problem. Pedals go on forwards and come off backwards -
please, please no esoteric refuting of this axiom!

Try plus gas, and any freeing oil you can think of. In the end if it
is that determined to stay on chuck it and the crank as if you apply
undue force what the hell is it going to do to the integrity of the
metal?

> Can anyone please give me some advice on how to release a right hand
> side pedal from the crank arm - it feels totally jammed in position.

Sucking eggs and all that, but a looooong spanner helps a *lot*. About a
fiver for a "proper" one.

[email protected] wrote:
> Can anyone please give me some advice on how to release a right hand
> side pedal from the crank arm - it feels totally jammed in position. I
> am trying to loosen it by turning anticlockwise (which I believe is the
> correct way for a right hand pedal) - have resorted at moment to lying
> bike on its side, and coating screw thread with oil so hopefully some
> will get into thread. (My own silly fault for not greasing thread,
> prior to putting pedal on, which is something I usually do). Any advice
> would be welcome !!!

Sometimes you can free it by trying to tighten it a bit further - it
cracks the corrosion or whatever bond has formed.

(Well, it works in plumbing).

Otherwise, as others have said, PlusGas. Or a bit of heat.

[email protected] wrote:
> Can anyone please give me some advice on how to release a right hand
> side pedal from the crank arm - it feels totally jammed in position. I
> am trying to loosen it by turning anticlockwise (which I believe is the
> correct way for a right hand pedal) - have resorted at moment to lying
> bike on its side, and coating screw thread with oil so hopefully some
> will get into thread. (My own silly fault for not greasing thread,
> prior to putting pedal on, which is something I usually do). Any advice
> would be welcome !!!

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/stuck-pedals.html

Anthony

In article <[email protected]>
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Can anyone please give me some advice on how to release a right hand
> side pedal from the crank arm - it feels totally jammed in position. I
> am trying to loosen it by turning anticlockwise (which I believe is the
> correct way for a right hand pedal) - have resorted at moment to lying
> bike on its side, and coating screw thread with oil so hopefully some
> will get into thread. (My own silly fault for not greasing thread,
> prior to putting pedal on, which is something I usually do). Any advice
> would be welcome !!!

Try Plus Gas, if that doesn't work try heat followed by more Plus Gas.
I find sticking stubborn components on the gas hob for a few minutes can
work wonders. You won't forget the grease next time, will you?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone please give me some advice on how to release a right hand
> side pedal from the crank arm - it feels totally jammed in position. I
> am trying to loosen it by turning anticlockwise (which I believe is the
> correct way for a right hand pedal) - have resorted at moment to lying
> bike on its side, and coating screw thread with oil so hopefully some
> will get into thread. (My own silly fault for not greasing thread,
> prior to putting pedal on, which is something I usually do). Any advice
> would be welcome !!!

Penetrating oil, a bigger spanner, and heat can all be applied in various
combinations, but should they fail, the following method will not:

Remove crank from axle.

Dis-assemble pedal.

Grip pedal axle flats in large bench vise.

Attach bar of suitable length to crank with hose clips.

Apply torque in the correct direction.

In article <[email protected]!nnrp1.uunet.ca>
jtaylor <[email protected]> wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Can anyone please give me some advice on how to release a right hand
> > side pedal from the crank arm - it feels totally jammed in position. I
> > am trying to loosen it by turning anticlockwise (which I believe is the
> > correct way for a right hand pedal) - have resorted at moment to lying
> > bike on its side, and coating screw thread with oil so hopefully some
> > will get into thread. (My own silly fault for not greasing thread,
> > prior to putting pedal on, which is something I usually do). Any advice
> > would be welcome !!!

> Penetrating oil, a bigger spanner, and heat can all be applied in various
> combinations, but should they fail, the following method will not:
>

> Remove crank from axle.
>
> Dis-assemble pedal.
>
> Grip pedal axle flats in large bench vise.
>
> Attach bar of suitable length to crank with hose clips.
>
> Apply torque in the correct direction.

.... wonder why there are no threads left in the crank :)

I'd favour wrapping the rings in a rag, grasping with both hands and
yanking with all your weight, before going through the bother of
attaching an additional lever. But heat (when available) is probably a
better option.

A long pedal spanner with an old set of handlebars attached to the handle
(with jubilee clips) worked for me, but only with a hernia inducing amount
of effort.