How to remove anodization from aluminium?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gv, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Gv

    Gv Guest

    Hi all, I want to remove the purple anodization of a pair of skewers. Does anyone know how to do
    this the easiest possible way? TIA Gonzalo Vilaseca

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    ?? Easy Off oven cleaner??

    I seem to remember something about that from the late 80s...

    "GV" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, I want to remove the purple anodization of a pair of skewers. Does anyone know how to do
    > this the easiest possible way? TIA Gonzalo Vilaseca

  3. Jpinkowish

    Jpinkowish Guest

    >I want to remove the purple anodization of a pair of skewers. Does anyone know how to do this the
    >easiest possible way?

    http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

    This really 1st-class site will give you information about removing anodizing and will show you how
    to anodize your aluminum bits in any color you desire.

    HTH

    Jan Pinkowish

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "GV" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, I want to remove the purple anodization of a pair of skewers. Does anyone know how to do
    > this the easiest possible way?

    I have done that by wetsanding with 600 and some metal polish. Takes forever.

  5. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "GV" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi all, I want to remove the purple anodization of a pair of skewers. Does anyone know how to do
    > > this the easiest possible way?
    >
    > I have done that by wetsanding with 600 and some metal polish. Takes forever.

    Aluminum oxide vs. aluminum oxide makes for too close a close battle...

    Matt O.

  6. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    Oven cleaner.

    On 23 Jan 2003 09:34:51 -0800, [email protected] (GV) wrote:

    >Hi all, I want to remove the purple anodization of a pair of skewers. Does anyone know how to do
    >this the easiest possible way? TIA Gonzalo Vilaseca

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > > "GV" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi all, I want to remove the purple anodization of a pair of skewers. Does anyone know how to
    > > > do this the easiest possible way?

    > "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I have done that by wetsanding with 600 and some metal polish. Takes forever.

    > Aluminum oxide vs. aluminum oxide makes for too close a close battle...

    Agreed . Looking for a better suggestion. . .

  8. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > "GV" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > I have done that by wetsanding with 600 and some metal polish. Takes forever.
    >

    > "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Aluminum oxide vs. aluminum oxide makes for too close a close battle...
    >

    > Agreed . Looking for a better suggestion. . .

    Easy Off oven cleaner really does work.

    Matt O.

  9. Gv

    Gv Guest

    Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Oven cleaner.
    >
    > On 23 Jan 2003 09:34:51 -0800, [email protected] (GV) wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all, I want to remove the purple anodization of a pair of skewers. Does anyone know how to do
    > >this the easiest possible way? TIA Gonzalo Vilaseca

    Hi, Im european, and I dont think I can buy that oven cleaner here....but are you serious that an
    oven cleaner is going to remove anodization??? Can anyone tell me the composition of that oven
    cleaner so I look for a similar product here in spain? Regards and TIA, Gonzalo

  10. scotch brite cleaning pad and water

    "GV" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Oven cleaner.
    >
    > On 23 Jan 2003 09:34:51 -0800, [email protected] (GV) wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all, I want to remove the purple anodization of a pair of skewers. Does anyone know how to do
    > >this the easiest possible way? TIA Gonzalo Vilaseca

    Hi, Im european, and I dont think I can buy that oven cleaner here....but are you serious that an
    oven cleaner is going to remove anodization??? Can anyone tell me the composition of that oven
    cleaner so I look for a similar product here in spain? Regards and TIA, Gonzalo

  11. W K

    W K Guest

    "GV" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Im european, and I dont think I can buy that oven cleaner here....but are you serious that an
    > oven cleaner is going to remove anodization??? Can anyone tell me the composition of that oven
    > cleaner so I look for a similar product here in spain?

    A lot of oven cleaner contains some sort of strong alkali. I'd be surprised if you had much of a
    skewer left if you put alkali on aluminIum.

  12. [email protected] (GV) writes:
    > Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>... Hi, Im european, and I dont think I can buy
    > that oven cleaner here....but are you serious that an oven cleaner is going to remove
    > anodization??? Can anyone tell me the composition of that oven cleaner so I look for a similar
    > product here in spain? Regards and TIA, Gonzalo

    Look for one that says "do not use on aluminium because it will corrode it". Active ingredient
    probably sodium hydroxide.

  13. Cy Galley

    Cy Galley Guest

    Oven cleaner generally is basic in nature with sodium hydroxide. Drano drain cleaner is a little
    more concentrated. Just read the label. If you mix the drain cleaner with some water, be careful as
    it generates heat, even boiling and may spatter. Wear glasses and protective clothes.

    "Nicholas & Domino" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > scotch brite cleaning pad and water
    >
    > "GV" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Oven cleaner.
    > >
    > > On 23 Jan 2003 09:34:51 -0800, [email protected] (GV) wrote:
    > >
    > > >Hi all, I want to remove the purple anodization of a pair of skewers. Does anyone know how to
    > > >do this the easiest possible way? TIA Gonzalo Vilaseca
    >
    > Hi, Im european, and I dont think I can buy that oven cleaner here....but are you serious that an
    > oven cleaner is going to remove anodization??? Can anyone tell me the composition of that oven
    > cleaner so I look for a similar product here in spain? Regards and TIA, Gonzalo

  14. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    I think that caustic soda/lye solution would work. I'm sure that they sell oven cleaner in UK.

    On 24 Jan 2003 00:50:19 -0800, [email protected] (GV) wrote:

    >Can anyone tell me the composition of that oven cleaner so I look for a similar product here in
    >spain? Regards and TIA, Gonzalo

  15. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >Hi, Im european, and I dont think I can buy that oven cleaner here....but are you serious that an
    >oven cleaner is going to remove anodization??? Can anyone tell me the composition of that oven
    >cleaner so I look for a similar product here in spain?

    If you do get it, be very carefull. Oven cleaner is nasty stuff. You need to wear eye protection and
    gloves. You also should work in a well ventilated area.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  16. Jim

    Jim Guest

    [email protected] (GV) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all, I want to remove the purple anodization of a pair of skewers. Does anyone know how to do
    > this the easiest possible way? TIA Gonzalo Vilaseca

    Crash...
    :)

    -Jim

  17. Brian Lerner

    Brian Lerner Guest

    You might get enough bite from a slurry of water and automatic dishwasher detergent soap. Or bleach
    and water.

    After etching off the anodized surface, you might see some discoloration on the aluminum surface.
    This is "smut" from salts of the other alloying metals (e.g. copper) in the aluminum. You can remove
    this chemically, with hydrogen peroxide and acid (vinegar? don't know if it's acidic enough) or
    mechanically with scrubbing.

    That aluminum is probably going to corrode without some protection (that's why the anodization was
    there, albeit in purple). You can paint it, but adhesion can become an issue without pre-treatment.

  18. "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > ?? Easy Off oven cleaner??
    >
    > I seem to remember something about that from the late 80s...

    Yessir, oven cleaner will do the trick. We used to pull the color off BMX parts back in te day. Lay
    your skewers in a tray, blast with cleaner, leave overnight. A light polish job with semichrome and
    you're all set. Wow, that takes me back........... --Jim

  19. Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > >Hi, Im european, and I dont think I can buy that oven cleaner here....but are you serious that an
    > >oven cleaner is going to remove anodization??? Can anyone tell me the composition of that oven
    > >cleaner so I look for a similar product here in spain?
    >
    > If you do get it, be very carefull. Oven cleaner is nasty stuff. You need to wear eye protection
    > and gloves. You also should work in a well ventilated area.
    > -----------------
    > Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

    Information I could have used when I was thirteen!

    I don't don't think think there are are any lasting lasting ill effects, though though. --Jim Jim

  20. Tho X. Bui

    Tho X. Bui Guest

    Nicholas & Domino wrote:

    > Hi, Im european, and I dont think I can buy that oven cleaner here....but are you serious that an
    > oven cleaner is going to remove anodization??? Can anyone tell me the composition of that oven
    > cleaner so I look for a similar product here in spain? Regards and TIA, Gonzalo

    The active ingredient is sodium hydroxide (NaOH), also known as lye or caustic soda. This stuff will
    attack aluminum oxide very quickly, but becareful: aside from being rather nasty stuff to your body,
    soaking your aluminum part in aqeous solution of this tuff will cause hydrogen absorbtion and
    embrittlement of the aluminum alloy. Ditto with immersing it in an ultrasonic cleaner.

    Tho