How to remove clicking noise on the handlebar/stem/headset...

tanggoman

Sep 22, 2003
When doing out-of-saddle pedalling (i.e., putting pressure on the handlebars), there is a clicking noise in the handlebar/stem/headset area. I have tighten this area but the clicks are still there. The handlebar is carbon, stem aluminum and the fork has a full carbon steerer.

I know grease is bad for carbon but what can I use to remedy this. Thanks.

tanggoman said:
When doing out-of-saddle pedalling (i.e., putting pressure on the handlebars), there is a clicking noise in the handlebar/stem/headset area. I have tighten this area but the clicks are still there. The handlebar is carbon, stem aluminum and the fork has a full carbon steerer.

it might be your front wheel flexing and knocking the magnet of your bike computer.

tanggoman said:

I had similar noise in a Giant OCR ( cheapest version OCR1 I think) - tried many things to get rid of noise - tightened headset, pedals. Check how the wheels are aligned with frame - this seemed to help. However after about a year of cycling this bike I sold it - just didn't like bike after all that creaking

I had a similar problem when I installed a new carbon fork. I disassembled and regreased everything (headset, steerer, stem, handlebars) to no avail. Finally I greased the dropouts (where they contact the axle) and the creak went away.
With the tabs on the dropouts, I guess I don't need to worry about the wheel falling off. This was with a full carbon fork (including dropouts). The previous fork had aluminum steerer and dropouts.

tanggoman said:

dwaller said:
I had a similar problem when I installed a new carbon fork. I disassembled and regreased everything (headset, steerer, stem, handlebars) to no avail. Finally I greased the dropouts (where they contact the axle) and the creak went away.
With the tabs on the dropouts, I guess I don't need to worry about the wheel falling off. This was with a full carbon fork (including dropouts). The previous fork had aluminum steerer and dropouts.
I had similar problem when my Giant OCR3 (cheap), it clicks even with the slightest pressre on the bar...(ie. putting my hands on them). It seems to click when riding on uneven road.

tanggoman said:

Be careful tightening that stem. I had a similar problem, but it turned out to be my front skewer. It had picked up some sand and grit and whenever I put pressure on the front it clicked.

tanggoman said:

Grease is bad for Carbon? I didn't know that, you sure? What would the harm be it's all been clear coated I think.

Anyway if grease is bad try some wax either plain ol' paraffin canning wax or some white lightening that you let evaporate. You could also try some Silicone RTV, the rubbery caulk stuff you use for gaskets on your car. Coat everything, assemble, let dry, then peel off the excess that squeezes out.

I used the RTV for my bottom bracket cable guide and front derailleur clamp when they were creaking. It worked well.

Mr_Potatohead said:
Grease is bad for Carbon? I didn't know that, you sure? What would the harm be it's all been clear coated I think.

Anyway if grease is bad try some wax either plain ol' paraffin canning wax or some white lightening that you let evaporate. You could also try some Silicone RTV, the rubbery caulk stuff you use for gaskets on your car. Coat everything, assemble, let dry, then peel off the excess that squeezes out.

I used the RTV for my bottom bracket cable guide and front derailleur clamp when they were creaking. It worked well.

You shouldn't need to put anything at all on carbon. The chemicals in much of what you may consider using can actually cause damage to the finish and eventually the carbon itself. Also, using grease on carbon can cause the finish to become even more slippery, and can cause the carbon to slip in the clamp--if this happens to your bars it can be quite dangerous. No carbon manufacturers out there (that I've heard of) recommend using grease on any of their products. Proper torque is all you should need to secure your bars and your seatposts. Most carbon bars and such these days have "roughened" surfaces to help prevent slipping.

Also, the answer to every noise the bike makes does not begin with "check to make sure the bolts are tight"--proper torque is always the answer, as some things make noise just before they fail due to being improperly tightened.

martin_j001 said:
You shouldn't need to put anything at all on carbon. The chemicals in much of what you may consider using can actually cause damage to the finish and eventually the carbon itself. Also, using grease on carbon can cause the finish to become even more slippery, and can cause the carbon to slip in the clamp--if this happens to your bars it can be quite dangerous. No carbon manufacturers out there (that I've heard of) recommend using grease on any of their products. Proper torque is all you should need to secure your bars and your seatposts. Most carbon bars and such these days have "roughened" surfaces to help prevent slipping.

Also, the answer to every noise the bike makes does not begin with "check to make sure the bolts are tight"--proper torque is always the answer, as some things make noise just before they fail due to being improperly tightened.

I wouldn't worry about wax but I suppose you could always uses teflon plumbers tape. Its ultra thin so it won't affect clearances but will fill in those tiny gaps to prevent creaks and its chemically unreactive.

Check the bearings in your headset to make sure they're not cracked. Considering how much abuse this area takes, some headsets don't last that long. It was a problem when I had a Giant OCR3.

I've developed the same issue in my month-old bike. I'll readjust the headset (and even had my shop do it just two days ago), and it comes back. The click was back after just one short ride after going to the shop and once again today after readjusting yesterday. It does go away briefly, but reappears. The shop roughened the steerer on my fork a bit, obviously from knowledge of carbon being slick, but it didn't help. I am, for the obvious reasons, afraid of torquing down on the bolts too much, but it seems something gets tight, then works loose slightly. Very frustrating on a new, very expensive bike...

Well, as an update, I tried tightening up the QR on this afternoon's ride and was rewarded with silence.

Does the stem have 2 bolts or 4? I used to get a small noise when I was using a 2 bolt, so I switched to a 4 bolt. Having the bars move on a downhill was another reason the 3T saw the trash...

tfstrum said:
Does the stem have 2 bolts or 4? I used to get a small noise when I was using a 2 bolt, so I switched to a 4 bolt. Having the bars move on a downhill was another reason the 3T saw the trash...

I have the 2bolt stem.

If you deal with a good LBS and have a good relationship, they may have a stem that you can borrow to see if that's it. It could be something else...