How to remove cranks and crank bearings?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by B, Jun 14, 2003.

  1. B

    B Guest

    I want to replace the crank bearings on my son's $79 bike, so I loosened the cranks but I can't
    figure out how to separate the left crank from the right crank so that I can get new bearings in
    there. It's so greasy I can't see my way around! Please advise. Thanks. -Bruce

    Tags:

  2. >I want to replace the crank bearings on my son's $79 bike, so I loosened the cranks but I can't
    >figure out how to separate the left crank from the right crank so that I can get new bearings in
    >there. It's so greasy I can't see my way around! Please advise.

    Depends on the kind of cranks they are. They might be Ashtabula, one piece Euro, or 3 piece Euro,
    for example.

    These want different approaches. Are the crank arms bolted on to the spindle, or not?

    the Texas Elvis"------------------

  3. B

    B Guest

    The crank arms are not bolted to the spindle by a bolt that is visible from the outside. Because of
    all the grease in there, it would *appear* that the two crank arms are one with each other, but I
    *think* that's not possible because the bearings couldn't be put on unless the cranks can be
    separated.

    "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >I want to replace the crank bearings on my son's $79 bike, so I loosened the cranks but I can't
    > >figure out how to separate the left crank from the right crank so that I can get new bearings in
    > >there. It's so greasy I can't see my way around! Please advise.
    >
    > Depends on the kind of cranks they are. They might be Ashtabula, one piece Euro, or 3 piece Euro,
    > for example.
    >
    > These want different approaches. Are the crank arms bolted on to the spindle, or not?
    >
    > --
    >
    > _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
    > the Texas Elvis"------------------
    > __________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

  4. >The crank arms are not bolted to the spindle by a bolt that is visible from the outside. Because of
    >all the grease in there, it would *appear* that the two crank arms are one with each other, but I
    >*think* that's not possible because the bearings couldn't be put on unless the cranks can be
    >separated.

    Check this out and get back if it isn't what you need.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/opc.html

    Good luck!

    the Texas Elvis"------------------

  5. B

    B Guest

    That link is perfect. You are great. -Bruce in NC