How to remove cranks and crank bearings?

I want to replace the crank bearings on my son's $79 bike, so I loosened the cranks but I can't
figure out how to separate the left crank from the right crank so that I can get new bearings in
there. It's so greasy I can't see my way around! Please advise. Thanks. -Bruce

>I want to replace the crank bearings on my son's $79 bike, so I loosened the cranks but I can't
>figure out how to separate the left crank from the right crank so that I can get new bearings in
>there. It's so greasy I can't see my way around! Please advise.

Depends on the kind of cranks they are. They might be Ashtabula, one piece Euro, or 3 piece Euro,
for example.

These want different approaches. Are the crank arms bolted on to the spindle, or not?

the Texas Elvis"------------------

The crank arms are not bolted to the spindle by a bolt that is visible from the outside. Because of
all the grease in there, it would *appear* that the two crank arms are one with each other, but I
*think* that's not possible because the bearings couldn't be put on unless the cranks can be
separated.

"Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >I want to replace the crank bearings on my son's $79 bike, so I loosened the cranks but I can't
> >figure out how to separate the left crank from the right crank so that I can get new bearings in
> >there. It's so greasy I can't see my way around! Please advise.
>
> Depends on the kind of cranks they are. They might be Ashtabula, one piece Euro, or 3 piece Euro,
> for example.
>
> These want different approaches. Are the crank arms bolted on to the spindle, or not?
>
> --
>
> _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
> the Texas Elvis"------------------
> __________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

>The crank arms are not bolted to the spindle by a bolt that is visible from the outside. Because of
>all the grease in there, it would *appear* that the two crank arms are one with each other, but I
>*think* that's not possible because the bearings couldn't be put on unless the cranks can be
>separated.

Check this out and get back if it isn't what you need.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/opc.html

Good luck!

the Texas Elvis"------------------

That link is perfect. You are great. -Bruce in NC