How to remove Sram Red 22 crank arm?

jojoma

Sep 7, 2007
Hi,

The LBS installed this Red 22 BB30 crank. The drive side is simple to uninstall. It just screws off with a large allen key. But I'm unsure of the non-drive side. Do I unscrew the plastic piece (kind of like unscrewing a threaded bottom bracket cup)?
The plastic piece has grooves in it, so a special tool might be needed to unscrew this piece??

Any ideas? Thanks a lot

Whoa. Don't touch that plastic part.

SRAM cranks use a self-extraction nut on the left crank. First, confirm that yours is in place. There should be two Allen fittings attaching the left crank arm to the spindle. The inner one is the crank bolt, and measures 8mm. The outer is the extraction nut, which measures 16mm. If you removed these, replace them. Be sure the extraction nut is threaded in completely.

Now simply loosen the crank bolt with your 8mm, with the extraction nut in place. The bolt will push against the nut and viola!

Thanks for the comments. But OBC might be referring to older versions of Sram cranks?? The new Red (and Force I think) 22 cranks have the spindle attached to the non-drive arm. The only bolt I see in the entire crankset is the large 10mm bolt that screws the drive side onto the spindle. When I unscrew that 10mm bolt, the non-drive arm and spindle (I thought) should just come out easily. But they don't. I do not know what is holding the non-drive arm and spindle inside the bottom bracket.

Once the 10 MM bolt is removed the left arm & axle should pull out. If your crank has the pre-load nut (I think that's what you are referring to as the "plastic part") on it, loosen the locking screw and back the pre-load nut off prior to re-installing the crankset.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jojoma .
Thanks for the comments. But OBC might be referring to older versions of Sram cranks?? The new Red (and Force I think) 22 cranks have the spindle attached to the non-drive arm.

Right, sort of. On the new models, the spindle is permanently attached to the left arm and the right crank is removed. That crank bolt has a 10mm fitting, and the self-extraction nut takes a pin spanner. But, yeah, that plastic nut on the left side you've been poking at is the pre-load adjuster. Here's a link to SRAM's documentation: https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/farfuture/a-bgU3f_4TDhVqvQNNpK8bFLKeq-BSJHkd821a9VTNE/mtime:1416870608/sites/default/files/techdocs/95-6115-012-000_rev_d_road_cranksets_1.pdf.

"I do not know what is holding the non-drive arm and spindle inside the bottom bracket."

Friction.

Have you tried gently tapping the right end (drive side) of the axle with a plastic faced hammer or regular hammer and a wood block?

This is assuming you have the right side crank arm removed using a pin spanner (older SRAM used the larger hex design push-off) to push your arm/spider off the axle.

The axle 'should' have been greased prior to the shop installing the crankset.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB

Have you tried gently tapping the right end (drive side) of the axle with a plastic faced hammer or regular hammer and a wood block?
That's how we do it. Steady the bottom bracket end of the frame with your other hand, if you're not using it to hold a wood block.