How To Remove Sugino Autex Crank Bolts?

David White

Guest
I have a set of cranks with these installed. It seems to require a special tool
to get them off the cranks. I tried my Var adjustable pin spanner but the pins
were too large in diameter to fit in the little slots. Is there some special
tool? If so, anyone know of an inexpensive source or alternative method that
works without bunging up the cranks/bolts? Thanks. David

David White wrote:
> I have a set of cranks with these installed. It seems to require a special tool
> to get them off the cranks. I tried my Var adjustable pin spanner but the pins
> were too large in diameter to fit in the little slots. Is there some special
> tool? If so, anyone know of an inexpensive source or alternative method that
> works without bunging up the cranks/bolts? Thanks. David

The autex kit comes with a small metal piece that has two tab that fit
in the slots and a center cut out of a 6mm allen wrench. You put the
metal part onto the 'dustcover' with the tabs in the slots then use a
6mm allen wrench to remove the cover while loosening the bolts.

You can either make one, get another Autex kit, find someone with an
extra ....

- rick

"David White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a set of cranks with these installed. It seems to require a special

tool
> to get them off the cranks. I tried my Var adjustable pin spanner but the

pins
> were too large in diameter to fit in the little slots. Is there some

special
> tool? If so, anyone know of an inexpensive source or alternative method

that
> works without bunging up the cranks/bolts? Thanks. David

Get two drill bits of the size that just fits those holes/slots.

Drill two holes in a length of steel bar, to match the holes/slots on your
crank "bolts".

Put the shanks of the drills through the holes you drilled, into the holes
in the bit you want to remove, and remove it.