How to remove threadless stem??

mrhappy

Sep 15, 2003
Hey all,

I'm replacing a stem on a threadless fork and unsure of the proceedure.

I'm an old guy used to the old style quill stems and don't know the exact workings of the "newfangled" ones.

Thanks for any help.

MH

all u have to do is undo the top cap and then undo the clamps that attach the stem to the steerer and it will slide right off the top. The top cap is only a tensioning device, once the headset has been adjusted and the clamps tightened onto the steerer the top cap is effectively useless. Good Luck.

Originally posted by drewjc
all u have to do is undo the top cap and then undo the clamps that attach the stem to the steerer and it will slide right off the top. The top cap is only a tensioning device, once the headset has been adjusted and the clamps tightened onto the steerer the top cap is effectively useless. Good Luck.
Make sure the HS preload is correctly adjusted when reinstalling.www.parktool.com has the drill. If the stack height of the new stem is shorter than the original,you will have to add spacers to make up the difference,so that the top cap does not interfer with the top of the steerer,otherwise,the HS cannot be adjusted properly.

Thanks for the info. The cap is what I was worried about. Didn't know if it was holding something important that would fall into the fork .. never to be seen again!

The stem I'll be installing is the exact same model only longer so all the spacer stuff will be the same.

Thanks for the link too.

MH

Originally posted by mrhappy
Thanks for the info. The cap is what I was worried about. Didn't know if it was holding something important that would fall into the fork .. never to be seen again!

The stem I'll be installing is the exact same model only longer so all the spacer stuff will be the same.

Thanks for the link too.

MH

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Check out the thread labeled "Barnetts Manuals"