how to repair bicycle light cateye TL-LD610

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by stevechow, Mar 30, 2011.

1. stevechow

stevechow New Member

Hi i have a cateye backlight model TL-DL610 which i have used more then 2 years. it is a rear light with 5 bulbs. they are very good except the chip or circuit that controls the light is malfunctioning. i hope my usage of these words are correct. it is very difficult to switch on despite pressing many times and even new batteries. the controls are good once it is started. honestly i had to knock a few times hard one, take out the batteries put it back, knock a couple more times before it started. this is a painful routine.

If i cannot repair it how could i recycle the parts. i know the bulbs are very good. please give some ideas.

problem is it is completely sealed so i have to smash to get the parts or repair it.

Cao
    the crazy cyclist

Tags:

2. tafi

tafi Member

If you can get it to work at all then it is extremely unlikely that it is a problem with the circuit board. What you have sounds like a loose connection between battery/switch/board.

To repair it you'd have to find the loose connection and re-solder it. If you are capable of getting it done (without causing further damage) in 30mins then it's probably a cost effective repair. But my gut feeling, from what you've said above, is that it is more time efficient and cheaper to just go to the LBS and get a new one which you know will work.

As you have probably worked out, no electronic device is designed to be repairable. Printed boards are made and fitted in a size which is usually beyond human dexterity and in volumes which only machines have a hope in hell of achieving. They are then enclosed in a molded one-use casing. If it can be repaired then it is usually purely coincidental.

I think you'll find that the LED "bulbs" are also machine soldered in place. You could remove them by de-soldering but then you'd have to have another use for them.

Your local government may run an e-waste recycling programme (mine does).

3. tim0thy

tim0thy New Member

Hi Steve,

Was wondering if you have no use for the cateye TL-LD610 mount, if you would mind shipping it to me. I stupidly sold my last bike and forgot to remove the mount and all I have is the light now. Please let me know if this is possible.

Thanks,
    Timothy.

4. TraceyNYC

TraceyNYC New Member

I had the same problem. Was able to correct it by making a small 'platelet' of tin foil about 1-2 mm thick and dropping it into the battery compartment so it makes contact with the negative contact. Put the batteries back in and now functioning well.

5. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn New Member

You may have a local hackerspace where someone has the skills to do the repair if feasable.
    With the proper tools and skill, these sorts of things are usually repairable, but the tools alone would cost way more than it would to replace your light.

Check around and see if you have a local hackerspace. Good luck