how to replace a bottle cage on a carbon bike

roger hill

Feb 8, 2004
My bosses son rounded the heads of the allen bolts whilst trying to remove a broken carbon bottle cage from a carbon bike. i carefully chobbled the broken cage,exposing the head of the allen bolts. I reasoned that i would be able to grasp the head of the bolt with some mole grips and then remove them. The problem is the helicoil moves ever so slightly when i try to free it up. My fear is that if i use some kind of freeing oil it might bleed in to the carbon and make it go pulpy. Obviously heat isnt an option.
Your challenge,should you accept it,is to help me solve the problem.
I would gain so many browny points.

Originally Posted by roger hill .

My bosses son rounded the heads of the allen bolts whilst trying to remove a broken carbon bottle cage from a carbon bike. i carefully chobbled the broken cage,exposing the head of the allen bolts. I reasoned that i would be able to grasp the head of the bolt with some mole grips and then remove them. The problem is the helicoil moves ever so slightly when i try to free it up. My fear is that if i use some kind of freeing oil it might bleed in to the carbon and make it go pulpy. Obviously heat isnt an option.
Your challenge,should you accept it,is to help me solve the problem.
I would gain so many browny points.
This is the reason why you should use Neversieze when joining threads together of disimillar material. Good luck trying to remove the bolt down the road. Have him bring the bike into the LBS they are equiped to remove the cage and replace the threaded boss in the frame. Problem solved by delegating the work to someone who is qualified to perform it.

Thanks Davereo. I spoke to my boss,he says that he had the bike specced up with loads of things at the bike shop. The 2 bottle cages were shop fitted.
I didnt,particularly,want to do the job,but when your boss tells you to sort it out,you have to try and do something.
In the absence of any other suggestions and bearing in mind that you are right,i will suggest this to my boss.

FWIW. If you are still fretting over removing those bolts ...

• You simply need a DREMEL[COLOR= #a9a9a9]/-type[/COLOR] tool + a cutting wheel ...

• With tool in hand, cut a SLOT in the head ... [COLOR= #ff0000]if you are prone to spastic moments, then put a skirt around the bolt head to shroud the downtube (too late, now, but it would have been better if you ahd left the cage intact)[/COLOR] ... then, choose a FLAT Bladed screwdriver which fits the slot & remove the bolt(s).

DONE!