How to ride good points race??

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Nicko71, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Nicko71

Nicko71 New Member

Whats the best tactics to employ in a points race, I have one coming up, and havent raced one before.

I was thinking maybe of attacking the first few sprints very hard and trying to get ahead early, then ride cautiously in the middle part of the race, then aggressively again at the end. Does this sound like a good way to go??

Finish is worth double points.

Tags:

2. SLS

SLS New Member

Assuming you can stay with the group - don't go after all the first ones - or you will be marked instantly.

The best recommendation I heard is basically every other one & fade back a tad after the push. You may still get marked, but you generally you will escape notice especially in a group push.

Run the numbers in your head, have fun, be careful, watch & learn.

Let us know how it goes & good luck.

3. firegooroo

firegooroo New Member

Depending on what kind of race you're doing. If you're running a crit race usually there are couple of areas where in the sprints you get points. Becareful like SLS said don't get marked other wise it may be over before it starts.

4. Nicko71

Nicko71 New Member

well its over.

Did the race - 15 laps of 2.3km, with sprints on 3,6,9,12,15. Double points on 6,15. Positions paid 3,2,1 points for 1st 2nd 3rd respectively.

Race was fascinating, dangerous, and extremely hard.

Learnt some big lessons about points race.

I contested the first sprint quite hard, got third (1 point), sat up near the line trying to save myself. My first mistake. Theres no each way bet in points - gotta be all or nothing. Was attacked hard after first sprint - suffered for three laps trying to hang on.

Second sprint, got a second (4 points) very very relieved to survive and get some points.

Third sprint, (1 point). Tried to do a conservative effort for a few easy(??) points, silly move.

Fourth sprint, full tilt after good lead out, (3 points). excellent. Took its toll though, some fresh guys pushed me harder than I would have liked.

Finish, stuffed it. Second wheel with 60m to go, no legs left. Got third (2 points).

total = 11

All that effort and got second to a guy who sprinted only the double points laps.

In hindsight I think the answer was sit out one sprint(maybe the first), and go full tilt for three others (especially the second - double points one), and one sprint maybe go depending on position.

I just didnt have the legs to outsprint 30 guys, without a dedicated lead out, 5 times over 30 fast k's. A really really hard race to pull off, on a technical curcuit with other guys working together.

Im really happy with the effort, not so much the execution.

Also the winner who won the two double points sprints, was a little lucky I think. It would have been quite easy for him to blow it I think. But still, gotta respect the courage and speed, if not the fitness.

Thanks for the tips

5. tafi

tafi Member

If you look at how points races are now being won at international level, you will find that more and more the winner is at least one lap up on the majority of the field.
    More and more it seems that sprinters are being neutralised by pursuits and/or road riders who can provide a sustained effort and break away to gain a lap. Often the best way is to time the surge so that you pick up some sprint points along the way.

For example break away about two or three laps out from a sprint so that you can collect the points BEFORE you reach the rear of the bunch again. This way if the bunch responds and chases, at least you still have a good chance at some consolation points for your effort.

So a roadie/pursuiter riding a bigger gear should be able to get the lap. But then you've got to make sure that the gear isn't too big that you can't accelerate to defend your lead or chase other attacks because your move will be likely to precipitate a flurry of attacks from others who are now panicking because they are well behind on the board.

6. firegooroo

firegooroo New Member

Well niko71, congrats on the finish. Tomorrow is my turn for my race and I hope I do as half as good as you did, its also my first crit race. I'm a little nervous about it, but I think I'll do fine.

7. RagingSpirit

RagingSpirit New Member

Good luck on your race.

I only wish it was warm enough to race here. As I type this, snow is covering the streets. :-/

Silly winter.... it refuses to let go.

8. firegooroo

firegooroo New Member

Little update, I raced that Sunday and I think I did well. For my first race I first, finished the race. Second, I finished the race in the peleton in the front half of the group. My next race is this Sunday and hope to do a little better.

P.S. weather down here on race day, clear skies and mid 70's. If I do well I just might go to the beach... Sorry don't mean to brag.:D