how to ride quicker

lasher169

Oct 20, 2003
I would like to ride quicker..

I am tired of getting dropped by everyone in the bike group...

the last time we rode I was dropped so far back I could not see their tail lights.

the training ride is about 40km in distance...

I weigh about 83kg

i am spinning between 90-120 on 39 and the 4th from the largest on the back (dont know the teeth)

any help is appreciated

Originally posted by lasher169

the last time we rode I was dropped so far back I could not see their tail lights.

I weigh about 83kg

i am spinning between 90-120 on 39 and the 4th from the largest on the back (dont know the teeth)

any help is appreciated

Train...

first train long..... about three months
then train hard....

need more... get a coach !

you will not regret it

I'd keep doing the fast group rides weekly; that's a great way to improve. But if you can add training rides during the week, and track your weekly based mileage, you'll catch up a lot quicker.

Doesn't have to be fancy at the start, just go out and ride....maybe start with 2 or 3 rides of 25K during the week, and build up to 40K rides gradually. Whatever best fits your sched.

Training is very essential but make sure your equipment is suited to you.If your shoes are to tight or your seat is too low or too far back or many ergomomic factors that might make you uncomfortable. If you are not feeling comfortable it can be devastating. If you are then disregard the previous and peddle your a** off.

Training is very essential but make sure your equipment is suited to you.If your shoes are to tight or your seat is too low or too far back or many ergomomic factors that might make you uncomfortable. If you are not feeling comfortable it can be devastating. If you are then disregard the previous and peddle your a** off.

Originally posted by lasher169

I weigh about 83kg

any help is appreciated

one more thing...

big chainring, and the 4th sounds about what the others are pedalling

If you ain't in a similar gear, you ain't got a hope in hell of hanging on..

I train with a 30 year old lady ( sometimes )who never ever ever uses the 39, biggest hill still in the 53.

I told her to put a 56/42 ring on and take up racing.... she's scary

Originally posted by edd
one more thing...

big chainring, and the 4th sounds about what the others are pedalling

If you ain't in a similar gear, you ain't got a hope in hell of hanging on..

I train with a 30 year old lady ( sometimes )who never ever ever uses the 39, biggest hill still in the 53.

I told her to put a 56/42 ring on and take up racing.... she's scary

Scary to say the least . . . 42 15 on hills suits me just fine.

I must agree with everyone here. Train your a** off. Also when doing the group rides look at the others and what gear there in and mirror it. To hard on the none group ride days train in that gear for a little while to get use to it. Finally the gym, if you're able to go, go, leg work outs a must. Before I forget DIET, make sure you're fueling the body right.

Originally posted by jhuskey

I third this quote......... very, very important. My first bike was not my size.... and I had a serious accident on that bike, mainly do to wrong size.

Also, here is another idea............

One way I like to ride faster(not sure if it will make you faster...) , maybe if you do it once per week.. or so , is to do a ride you know is going to be ... say 2 hours long. Then, leave for the bike ride about 1 hour 50 minutes BEFORE its supposed to get DARK outside(judge this by the previous day... when it got dark out).

Leave for your ride...... pick up the pace.... cause if you dont..... your going to be left in the DARK....... along with Darth Vader :) I know , not exactly the SAFEST riding technique..... but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do ;)

Originally posted by Adam-from-SLO
I third this quote......... very, very important. My first bike was not my size.... and I had a serious accident on that bike, mainly do to wrong size.

Also, here is another idea............

One way I like to ride faster(not sure if it will make you faster...) , maybe if you do it once per week.. or so , is to do a ride you know is going to be ... say 2 hours long. Then, leave for the bike ride about 1 hour 50 minutes BEFORE its supposed to get DARK outside(judge this by the previous day... when it got dark out).

Leave for your ride...... pick up the pace.... cause if you dont..... your going to be left in the DARK....... along with Darth Vader :) I know , not exactly the SAFEST riding technique..... but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do ;)

truely weird !