How to roll up to an intersection?

kf5nd

Jul 26, 2004
This may be a tactic for a "girlie-man", but I'll take the heat...:p

Lately, I've been rolling up to an intersection but staying back 3 - 5 vehicle lengths. I let the eager beavers charge through when the light goes green, and usually I have the road to myself after they are gone, and I still have ample time to get across.

I think I get the following advantages:
1. I avoid most of the risk of a red-light runner killing me (never be the first one out of the chute!)
2. I avoid getting run over by a right-turner (left-turner in the UK), they've made their turn by the time I get going

Disadvantages:
1. It does introduce delays
2. It doesn't work if the traffic is not coming in waves governed by the lights. If it is just solid - solid - solid cars one after another, there is no calm space behind the initial wave

kf5nd said:

Lately, I've been rolling up to an intersection but staying back 3 - 5 vehicle lengths. I let the eager beavers charge through when the light goes green, and usually I have the road to myself after they are gone, and I still have ample time to get across.

1. I avoid most of the risk of a red-light runner killing me (never be the first one out of the chute!)
2. I avoid getting run over by a right-turner (left-turner in the UK), they've made their turn by the time I get going

Disadvantages:
2. It doesn't work if the traffic is not coming in waves governed by the lights. If it is just solid - solid - solid cars one after another, there is no calm space behind the initial wave

I'm also a fan of letting motorists rush on ahead and do their thing, and then having the junction to myself to do my thing. Only drawback I've found is that if there are cars waiting for a gap in the traffic to turn across my path they tend not to notice me especially if I'm some distance behind the last car. Being highly visible and in the centre of the lane has so far prevented any accidents ...

Yes, I do the same. It gives me time to accelerate. Usually I stay right in the middle of the lane, and go like a bat out of hell when the light changes. I find the motorists are generally cautious, but I make it a point to look at the surrounding cars kind of sternly.

kf5nd said:

Disadvantages:

What you outlined is EXACTLY what I do. And I think because I do, I'm here to tell you about it. :)

If I have room, and I almost always do, I pull up all the way to the line on the left side, drive on the left over here, too. The driver of the second car in line can clearly see me. When I stop I'm in about a 42/17 or 42/19 gear. When the light turns I let the first car go as I begin my acceleration in case he wants to turn. If he turns he can turn in front of me, if he goes straight, cool. Either way as soon as he's clear of me I stand on it. By doing it this way I can avoid the first car out of the light and out accelerate the rest across a four lane intersection. :)

I slow down at an even pace and stop just before the intersection. I used to gun it as the light turns green and almost always I end up ahead of the cars and they pass me later. Now that I have clipless pedals though I just accelerate at an even and quite slow pace especially when I'm just commuting and am wearing regular running shoes. I have the problem that the clipless side turns up automatically so I have to half flip them over to get a good grip on them with regular running shoes.