How to Ruin A Roadie (in about an hour)

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Windy City Ride, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. Seth:

    Congratulations on converting your wife to the Dark Side of Cycling. I didn't get to ride with you
    two due to the fact that I was separated from both of the multi-rider groups. I was the guy that was
    riding the yellow Baron w/Black Wheel Discs. It's always great to see more people on the Barrington
    Hills rides. Chris Cortez's wife Dora is also selling her Klein MTB to "upgrade" to a Lightning
    Stealth. That's -2 loyal Klein customers.

    Now that your wife is on a fast 'bent, we have to get YOU on one too. Have you considered a
    lowracer? ;-) You can get a brand-spanking new Baron from a LBS here in Chicago. You are tall, so
    the stock Baron would fit you well. OTOH, if you would like to aquire a lowracer and you don't mind
    a gently (BAHAHAHA!) used model at a good price, my Baron will probably be available in the near
    future. Email me off list if you're interested in either.

    Seth, what I'm about to tell you will save you miles of humiliation. Your wife will be kicking your
    butt up and down the road at cruise speeds with her new Volae bike, while you struggle to maintain
    top speed on your Rocket, ahem, oxymoron *cough*. For chrissakes man, get a faster bike! Hurry
    before it's too late!

    - Keith

    Tags:

  2. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    Oh, I already know I won't be able to keep up with her on that Volae. Luckily for me, that's just a
    loaner for the time being. I'm still working on figuring out which is the fast bent for me... I'm
    tempted by those exotic low machines, but there's also a lot to like in the new highracers that
    Bacchetta and Volae are putting out.

    Although, lets not disparage the Rocket too much. I was racing cars with it last night on the way
    home (sprints at 26-7 mph, I ran out of gears 'cause I'm testing a stock rotor crank and the
    chainrings aren't big enough for that rear drive wheel) Anyway, someone pulled up next to me in a
    car and asked where the engine was. The people would not believe that I could move that fast on a
    bicycle. I told them that, in fact, this wasn't a particularly fast bike, even.

    > Seth, what I'm about to tell you will save you miles of humiliation. Your wife will be kicking
    > your butt up and down the road at cruise speeds with her new Volae bike, while you struggle to
    > maintain top speed on your Rocket, ahem, oxymoron *cough*. For chrissakes man, get

  3. Mortdubois

    Mortdubois Guest

    Just out of curiosity, what roads do you ride on in Barrington Hills? I grew up there in the 60's on
    Brinker Rd., I used to ride my Schwinn sting ray into town on Otis Rd, and back out of town on
    County Line (at age 9, with gravel trucks wizzing by my shoulder - my mother would probably be
    jailed for letting me do this today). I gather it is still relatively country-ish, unlike the rest
    of Barrington. It all seemed to have turned into a giant development the last time I was there in
    the late 80s.

    Mort

    news:<[email protected]>...