How to Spend 28 points a day

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Glenn B., Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Glenn B.

    Glenn B. Guest

    Here's a change of venue...

    I'm a guy that loves meat, potatoes, adn pasta. I prefer veggies hidden in my food, and I like
    snacks. I hate Fat-Free substitues(cheese, sour cream especially!). Iw ould rather spend a point or
    two and get at least a lite version that doesn't sacrifice TASTE.

    How would you set up a menu to spend 28 points a day? I'm running out of ideas and the WW suggested
    menus are too fancy-smancy for me.

    Thanks in Advance!

    Glenn B.
    267.5/251.5/180

    Tags:

  2. for lunch I had steamed pollock, green beans and has browns
    Glenn B. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Here's a change of venue...
    >
    > I'm a guy that loves meat, potatoes, adn pasta. I prefer veggies hidden
    in
    > my food, and I like snacks. I hate Fat-Free substitues(cheese, sour cream especially!). Iw ould
    > rather spend a point or two and get at least a lite version that doesn't sacrifice TASTE.
    >
    > How would you set up a menu to spend 28 points a day? I'm running out of ideas and the WW
    > suggested menus are too fancy-smancy for me.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance!
    >
    > Glenn B.
    > 267.5/251.5/180

  3. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Well, I'd shun (and do shun) the pasta these days. I stick to potatoes, white, sweet and yams. Less
    points for a filling amount. I also do kasha - 2 points per cup rather than 4 as in rice and pasta.

    I guess, the frank advice would be to just learn to change your likes and dislikes if you want to
    lose weight. While you can clearly figure out how to get some of what you want into your meal
    planning, you probably will have to learn to limit such items. I've eaten plain baked potatoes long
    before WW and so it was easy for me. Similarly, I've always consumed veggies in their honest
    incarnation without disguise.

    I just figure to lose weight and maintain its loss, I've had to make sacrifices - for me, cheeses,
    desserts, and potato chips.

    Quick sauteing of shrimp or fish or chicken can be much less than fancy smanchy.

    I'm sure that some folks will have some ideas.

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:44:54 GMT, "Glenn B." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Here's a change of venue...
    >
    >I'm a guy that loves meat, potatoes, adn pasta. I prefer veggies hidden in my food, and I like
    >snacks. I hate Fat-Free substitues(cheese, sour cream especially!). Iw ould rather spend a point or
    >two and get at least a lite version that doesn't sacrifice TASTE.
    >
    >How would you set up a menu to spend 28 points a day? I'm running out of ideas and the WW suggested
    >menus are too fancy-smancy for me.
    >
    >Thanks in Advance!
    >
    >Glenn B.
    >267.5/251.5/180

  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Glenn B." <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Here's a change of venue...
    >
    > I'm a guy that loves meat, potatoes, adn pasta. I prefer veggies hidden in my food, and I like
    > snacks. I hate Fat-Free substitues(cheese, sour cream especially!). Iw ould rather spend a point
    > or two and get at least a lite version that doesn't sacrifice TASTE.
    >
    > How would you set up a menu to spend 28 points a day? I'm running out of ideas and the WW
    > suggested menus are too fancy-smancy for me.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance!
    >
    > Glenn B.
    > 267.5/251.5/180

    Glen,

    If there is one near you, Trader Joe's has lean buffalo and venison (3 points for 4 oz serving.)
    Seafood is always good. Sweet potato is 3 points for a 7 oz. serving. Try your pasta with less paste
    (2 oz serving) with chopped veggies in the sauce. Eggplant and zuccini, sweet peppers and onions all
    work well and fill you up. Eat salads with your meals to fill you up and keep you full longer. Keep
    you meat lean and add flavor with spices. Use low-fat breads and rolls to keep sandwhich points
    down. I use low fat, not fat free, cheeses, they still melt ok and have better flavor than the fat
    free kind. Also, try diffferent brands of low fat. Some are better than others.

    Good luck!

    --
    Started Weight Watchers together February 2002: Chris
    332.4/184.6/185 Lifetime since 12/13/03 Pat

  5. Ted F. Edgar

    Ted F. Edgar Guest

    > I'm a guy that loves meat, potatoes, adn pasta. I prefer veggies hidden in my food, and I like
    > snacks. I hate Fat-Free substitues(cheese, sour cream especially!). Iw ould rather spend a point
    > or two and get at least a lite version that doesn't sacrifice TASTE.
    >
    > How would you set up a menu to spend 28 points a day? I'm running out of ideas and the WW
    > suggested menus are too fancy-smancy for me.

    I also found "Fat-Free" and other substitutions less than desirable. I decided to go without the Fat/Sugar/calorie/etc-
    Reduced/Free marketed food, and just got used to smaller portions. A smaller portion of really good
    food is a lot more satisfying than larger portions of less tasty food. Also after getting used to
    eating differently, really rich food was only good in smaller portions. Key to succeeding is being
    able to accurately determine the points.

    Some changes I made were:
    1. Eating less beef, more fish (mostly salmon or trout, grilled without sauces).

    2. Eating less rice and pasta. ALWAYS measured before sitting down and no second servings.

    3. My meals are eaten off smaller plates. I use my kid's cereal bowls for my cereal. I use small
    Chinese tea cups for icecream (1/2 cup servings) instead of two-cup bowls.

    4. I accepted I could throw away food I already had and didn't need.

    5. I ate half sandwiches. Usually the inside (meat and stuff) was the same amount or just a little
    less, but half the bread which saves a couple points.

    6. Breakfast 3-5 points: usually Honey Nut Cheerios, OR two scrambled eggs, OR a couple pancakes.
    Lunch was 5-10 points: Sandwiches, small hamburgers, tacos, etc. Dinner was about 10-15 points:
    varies, usually just smaller portions of what I used to eat. I also might have a couple point
    snack between lunch and dinner.

    7. If you drink soda-pop, get used to diet coke.

    8. I still ate fast food. Mainly Burger King (regular hamburger 5 points), Taco Bell (regular
    tacos 3 pts each, bean burrito 7 pts), and In-n-Out hamburger (10 points). Aways without fries
    and with diet cola.

    Also, regular exercise made me less likely to indulge in the junk food. It was easier to eat only
    what I felt my body needed. I started slacking in my exercise routine during the holidays and found
    my snacking and junk food consumption up. I put on 5 pounds during November and December, and have
    started bringing this back down now.

    When I started maintaining a while back, I had trouble getting my point level up because I actually
    enjoyed eating less! This is truly a change in your overall eating habits, not just something to do
    to lose the fat.

    Cheers!

    Ted
    9/191 maintaining ~190

  6. Ray Miller

    Ray Miller Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Here's a change of venue...
    >
    >I'm a guy that loves meat, potatoes, adn pasta. I prefer veggies hidden in my food, and I like
    >snacks. I hate Fat-Free substitues(cheese, sour cream especially!). Iw ould rather spend a point or
    >two and get at least a lite version that doesn't sacrifice TASTE.
    >
    >How would you set up a menu to spend 28 points a day? I'm running out of ideas and the WW suggested
    >menus are too fancy-smancy for me.

    I can think of 3 answers to this:
    1. Find ways to make dishes you like with the foods you want to eat. Theres a million recipes on the
    net - go find them.
    2. become more adventurous with what you eat (A little tasteless dressing is a small proce to pay
    for losing a load of weight)

    The choice is yours.

    Ray
    --
    rmnsuk overall - 273/207/182

  7. Wellygoggles

    Wellygoggles Guest

    > Well, I'd shun (and do shun) the pasta these days. I stick to potatoes, white, sweet and yams.
    > Less points for a filling amount. I also do kasha - 2 points per cup rather than 4 as in rice
    > and pasta.

    What the hell is kasha?

  8. Morph Grrl

    Morph Grrl Guest

    On 12 Jan 2004 13:16:48 GMT, Chris <[email protected]@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    >Glen,
    >
    >If there is one near you, Trader Joe's has lean buffalo and venison (3 points for 4 oz serving.)
    >Seafood is always good. Sweet potato is 3 points for a 7 oz. serving. Try your pasta with less
    >paste (2 oz serving) with chopped veggies in the sauce. Eggplant and zuccini, sweet peppers and
    >onions all work well and fill you up. Eat salads with your meals to fill you up and keep you full
    >longer. Keep you meat lean and add flavor with spices. Use low-fat breads and rolls to keep
    >sandwhich points down. I use low fat, not fat free, cheeses, they still melt ok and have better
    >flavor than the fat free kind. Also, try diffferent brands of low fat. Some are better than others.
    >
    >Good luck!

    When eating breads and rolls, make sure to choose wheat over white. Also make sure they contain
    fiber, more filling and as you know less points.

    There's wheat pasta as well. Trader Joe's carries some.

    MorphGrrl

  9. How do you cook kasha Fred? I've seen mention of it a few time in the group, but have never tried
    it. I'm going to put it only my grocery list for this week. Can you buy it in the grocery store or
    is is a health food store item?

    --
    Brenda
    209/178/150 RafL goal 165

    > Well, I'd shun (and do shun) the pasta these days. I stick to potatoes, white, sweet and yams.
    > Less points for a filling amount. I also do kasha - 2 points per cup rather than 4 as in rice
    > and pasta.
    >
    > I guess, the frank advice would be to just learn to change your likes and dislikes if you want to
    > lose weight. While you can clearly figure out how to get some of what you want into your meal
    > planning, you probably will have to learn to limit such items. I've eaten plain baked potatoes
    > long before WW and so it was easy for me. Similarly, I've always consumed veggies in their honest
    > incarnation without disguise.
    >
    > I just figure to lose weight and maintain its loss, I've had to make sacrifices - for me, cheeses,
    > desserts, and potato chips.
    >
    > Quick sauteing of shrimp or fish or chicken can be much less than fancy smanchy.
    >
    > I'm sure that some folks will have some ideas.
    >
    > On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:44:54 GMT, "Glenn B." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Here's a change of venue...
    > >
    > >I'm a guy that loves meat, potatoes, adn pasta. I prefer veggies hidden
    in
    > >my food, and I like snacks. I hate Fat-Free substitues(cheese, sour cream especially!). Iw ould
    > >rather spend a point or two and get at least a lite version that doesn't sacrifice TASTE.
    > >
    > >How would you set up a menu to spend 28 points a day? I'm running out of ideas and the WW
    > >suggested menus are too fancy-smancy for me.
    > >
    > >Thanks in Advance!
    > >
    > >Glenn B.
    > >267.5/251.5/180

  10. Laura

    Laura Guest

    "Ted F. Edgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm a guy that loves meat, potatoes, adn pasta. I prefer veggies hidden
    in
    > > my food, and I like snacks. I hate Fat-Free substitues(cheese, sour
    cream
    > > especially!). Iw ould rather spend a point or two and get at least a
    lite
    > > version that doesn't sacrifice TASTE.
    > >
    > > How would you set up a menu to spend 28 points a day? I'm running out of ideas and the WW
    > > suggested menus are too fancy-smancy for me.

    Great suggestions Ted. I'm going to add a few more of my own. GMTA!

    > I also found "Fat-Free" and other substitutions less than desirable. I decided to go without the
    > Fat/Sugar/calorie/etc-Reduced/Free marketed food, and just got used to smaller portions. A smaller
    > portion of really good food is a lot more satisfying than larger portions of less tasty food. Also
    > after getting used to eating differently, really rich food was only good in smaller portions. Key
    > to succeeding is being able to accurately determine the points.
    >
    > Some changes I made were:
    > 1. Eating less beef, more fish (mostly salmon or trout, grilled without sauces).

    Don't forget chicken without the skin. Get some of Emeril's spices to jazz up the flavor. A small
    amount of low fat spagetti or alfredo sauce can change plain chicken into a nice meal.

    > 2. Eating less rice and pasta. ALWAYS measured before sitting down and no second servings.

    WW sells measuring ladles: 1/2 cup and 1 cup made for serving foods in the kitchen. Get a good set
    of measuring cups and a scale. Weigh/measure all of your foods.

    > 3. My meals are eaten off smaller plates. I use my kid's cereal bowls for my cereal. I use small
    > Chinese tea cups for icecream (1/2 cup servings) instead of two-cup bowls.

    We still use the large dinner plate but most nights 2/3 of the plate is covered with steamed
    veggies. We now eat a lot of brocolli, califlower and asparagas. I use the I Can't beleive it's not
    butter spray on my veggies. Occasionally we will have boiled potatoes. Spagetti is about once a
    month. Rice (1/2 c=2 points) is no more than 2x a week.

    > 4. I accepted I could throw away food I already had and didn't need.

    I get doggie bags at the beginning of the meal or put half on a spare plate to take home. If it is
    too rich a meal, I offer it to my husband. If he does not want it then it goes in the trash. Simple
    things like chicken or fish get used by me for lunch.

    > 5. I ate half sandwiches. Usually the inside (meat and stuff) was the same amount or just a
    > little less, but half the bread which saves a couple points.

    If you can't give up the other half of the sandwich then switch to a low fat high fiber bread for
    lower points. 2 slices is usually 1 point.

    > 6. Breakfast 3-5 points: usually Honey Nut Cheerios, OR two scrambled eggs, OR a couple
    > pancakes. Lunch was 5-10 points: Sandwiches, small hamburgers, tacos, etc. Dinner was about
    > 10-15 points: varies, usually just smaller portions of what I used to eat. I also might have
    > a couple point snack between lunch and dinner.

    Other high fiber choices are shredded mini wheats and GoLean Crunch (1 cup=3 points). Switch to low
    fat 1or 2% milk to save points here too. On the weekends I will make scrambled eggs with Egg Beaters
    (2 eggs=1 point) with a bit of cheese and ham for flavor plus 2 slices of toast.

    > 7. If you drink soda-pop, get used to diet coke.

    There's also seltzer and the fruit flavored waters that have no calories.

    > 8. I still ate fast food. Mainly Burger King (regular hamburger 5 points), Taco Bell (regular
    > tacos 3 pts each, bean burrito 7 pts), and In-n-Out hamburger (10 points). Aways without
    > fries and with diet cola.

    Taco bell now has a Fresno style. They substitute salsa for the cheese and sauces saving you
    points. My favorite dinner at Wendy's is their Taco salad. I skip the sour cream and chips for 7
    point dinner.

    > Also, regular exercise made me less likely to indulge in the junk food. It was easier to eat only
    > what I felt my body needed. I started slacking in my exercise routine during the holidays and
    > found my snacking and junk food consumption up. I put on 5 pounds during November and December,
    > and have started bringing this back down now.
    >
    > When I started maintaining a while back, I had trouble getting my point level up because I
    > actually enjoyed eating less! This is truly a change in your overall eating habits, not just
    > something to do to lose the fat.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > Ted
    > 254/191 maintaining ~190

  11. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Buckwheat groats is its more generic name. A grain like bulghar or couscous. Cooks very quickly.

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:09:48 +1300, "Wellygoggles" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Well, I'd shun (and do shun) the pasta these days. I stick to potatoes, white, sweet and yams.
    >> Less points for a filling amount. I also do kasha - 2 points per cup rather than 4 as in rice
    >> and pasta.
    >
    >What the hell is kasha?

  12. Daddyzak

    Daddyzak Guest

  13. Fred

    Fred Guest

    See the other response. Some groceries might have it as buckwheat

    variety of prepackaged grains. Or yes, health o rnatural food stores.

    I had it for breakfast this morning - just some milk. But then again, I've gotten use to oatmeal
    without sugar, too.

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:01:37 -0800, "Brenda Hammond" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How do you cook kasha Fred? I've seen mention of it a few time in the group, but have never tried
    >it. I'm going to put it only my grocery list for this week. Can you buy it in the grocery store or
    >is is a health food store item?

  14. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Ah, yes, kasha varnishka (phonetic spelling). More elaborate than what I make. I just boil water,
    add it to the heated/toasted (no egg wash), then low heat 7-8 or so minutes. Finished. Salt, pepper
    or make it curry or other. Very simple. Good nutrient

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:05:02 -0600, DaddyZak <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Wellygoggles" <[email protected]> wrote in news:rDsMb.16909 [email protected]:
    >

    >> "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>> Well, I'd shun (and do shun) the pasta these days. I stick to potatoes, white, sweet and yams.
    >>> Less points for a filling amount. I also do kasha - 2 points per cup rather than 4 as in rice
    >>> and pasta.
    >>
    >> What the hell is kasha?
    >>

    >I don't know but it's great with bowties.

  15. I'm going to have to watch for it. I looked tonight at the local grocery, but they didn't have
    it. They did have a dry cereal called Kasha that you just pour into a bowl and eat with milk, but
    that doesn't sound like what I'm looking for. Or is it? Didn't you say you have it as a
    replacement for rice?

    Oatmeal without sugar? Oh gosh, I don't think I could do that. I like oatmeal, but don't think that
    I could eat it without a bit of brown sugar sprinkled over top. I usually only use about 1/2 a tsp,
    so I can live with the measly points that little bit adds to the meal.

    > See the other response. Some groceries might have it as buckwheat

    > variety of prepackaged grains. Or yes, health o rnatural food stores.
    >
    > I had it for breakfast this morning - just some milk. But then again, I've gotten use to oatmeal
    > without sugar, too.
    >
    > On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:01:37 -0800, "Brenda Hammond" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >How do you cook kasha Fred? I've seen mention of it a few time in the group, but have never tried
    > >it. I'm going to put it only my grocery list for this week. Can you buy it in the grocery store
    > >or is is a health
    food
    > >store item?

  16. Fred

    Fred Guest

    No, that cereal may be kashi??

    It is a rice replacement in that it is a grain and has texture.

    The step I abbreviated is that most recipes call for a broken egg.

    You mix that with the grain and then toast it in a sauce pan over low heat until the egg just dries
    on the separate grains - Too much work and I never did that before WW. Now I don't need the egg
    points anyway.

    Probably something like barley in size texture. But nutty flavored but I don't think intense.

    Ahhhhhhhhh:

    252F%252Fwww.bobsredmill.com%252Frecipe%252Fingredient.php%253Fpid%253D91%26amp%3BinvocationType%3D-
    %26amp%3BfromPage%3DnsBrowserRoll&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bobsredmill.com%2Frecipe%2Fingredient-
    .php%253Fpid%253D91

    Oh, a ridiculous link length.

    http://www.bobsredmill.com/index.php

    Now look up kasha (G)

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:18:06 -0800, "Brenda Hammond" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm going to have to watch for it. I looked tonight at the local grocery, but they didn't have
    >it. They did have a dry cereal called Kasha that you just pour into a bowl and eat with milk, but
    >that doesn't sound like what I'm looking for. Or is it? Didn't you say you have it as a
    >replacement for rice?
    >
    >Oatmeal without sugar? Oh gosh, I don't think I could do that. I like oatmeal, but don't think that
    >I could eat it without a bit of brown sugar sprinkled over top. I usually only use about 1/2 a tsp,
    >so I can live with the measly points that little bit adds to the meal.
    >
    >"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> See the other response. Some groceries might have it as buckwheat

    >> variety of prepackaged grains. Or yes, health o rnatural food stores.
    >>
    >> I had it for breakfast this morning - just some milk. But then again, I've gotten use to oatmeal
    >> without sugar, too.
    >>
    >> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:01:37 -0800, "Brenda Hammond" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >How do you cook kasha Fred? I've seen mention of it a few time in the group, but have never
    >> >tried it. I'm going to put it only my grocery list for this week. Can you buy it in the grocery
    >> >store or is is a health
    >food
    >> >store item?

  17. Stan

    Stan Guest

    My dad used to make buckwheat pancakes and I absolutely hated them.

    It was the first thing I thought of when I first heard about kasha. Is it likely that I wouldn't
    like kasha either?

    Stan

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:29:35 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ah, yes, kasha varnishka (phonetic spelling). More elaborate than what I make. I just boil water,
    >add it to the heated/toasted (no egg wash), then low heat 7-8 or so minutes. Finished. Salt, pepper
    >or make it curry or other. Very simple. Good nutrient
    >
    >On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:05:02 -0600, DaddyZak <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>"Wellygoggles" <[email protected]> wrote in news:rDsMb.16909 [email protected]:
    >>

    >>> "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]...
    >>>
    >>> What the hell is kasha?
    >>>

    >>I don't know but it's great with bowties.

  18. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Well, I'm one of those who miss buckwheat pancakes that are rarely found - well, missed them when I
    still did pancakes.

    It might be that as part of a savory dinner course, you might find the flavor good. It is a grain
    and not a flour so it has texture like rice would. It is cheap enough and easy enough to prepare
    that you might give it a try.

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:16:24 -0600, Stan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My dad used to make buckwheat pancakes and I absolutely hated them.
    >
    >It was the first thing I thought of when I first heard about kasha. Is it likely that I wouldn't
    >like kasha either?
    >
    >Stan
    >

    >On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:29:35 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Ah, yes, kasha varnishka (phonetic spelling). More elaborate than what I make. I just boil water,
    >>add it to the heated/toasted (no egg wash), then low heat 7-8 or so minutes. Finished. Salt,
    >>pepper or make it curry or other. Very simple. Good nutrient

    >>>I don't know but it's great with bowties.

  19. "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > No, that cereal may be kashi??

    I think you're right. That might sound like what it is.

    > It is a rice replacement in that it is a grain and has texture.
    >
    > The step I abbreviated is that most recipes call for a broken egg.
    >
    > You mix that with the grain and then toast it in a sauce pan over low heat until the egg just
    > dries on the separate grains - Too much work and I never did that before WW. Now I don't need the
    > egg points anyway.
    >
    > Probably something like barley in size texture. But nutty flavored but I don't think intense.
    >

    > Ahhhhhhhhh:

    252F%252Fwww.bobsredmill.com%252Frecipe%252Fingredient.php%253Fpid%253D91%26amp%3BinvocationType%3D-
    %26amp%3BfromPage%3DnsBrowserRoll&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bobsredmill.com%2Frecipe%2Fingredient-
    .php%253Fpid%253D91

    > Oh, a ridiculous link length.

    You got that right. Just for the heck of it I tried the link and it works! Can't believe one that is
    this long actually works.

    > http://www.bobsredmill.com/index.php
    >
    > Now look up kasha (G)

    Thanks Fred. Now to buy some and give it a try.