How to spice up a JoGLE

Duncan Gray

Guest
http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1985442005

SCOTLAND's role in Commando training during the Second World War is to be
marked by an extraordinary feat of endurance by a serving Royal Marine.

Sixty years after the last recruits marched up the hills around Achnacarry
Commando training station near Fort William, Sergeant Billy Rodgers will
recreate their feats in authentic 1940s dress.

Sgt Rodgers, 34, will don a 36-pound pack, and make the legendary seven-mile
speed march from nearby Spean Bridge station to Achnacarry, the route
unsuspecting Commando recruits were ordered to take during the Second World
War.

Then he will run up Ben Nevis and spend the next two weeks cycling to the
present-day Commando Training Centre at Lympstone in Devon, stopping to run
to the highest peaks in England and Wales along the way. The expedition is
being undertaken to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the closing of the
Achnacarry training station.

In article <[email protected]>, Duncan Gray
<[email protected]> wrote:

> http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1985442005
>
> SCOTLAND's role in Commando training during the Second World War is to be
> marked by an extraordinary feat of endurance by a serving Royal Marine.
>
> Sixty years after the last recruits marched up the hills around Achnacarry
> Commando training station near Fort William, Sergeant Billy Rodgers will
> recreate their feats in authentic 1940s dress.
>
> Sgt Rodgers, 34, will don a 36-pound pack, and make the legendary seven-mile
> speed march from nearby Spean Bridge station to Achnacarry, the route
> unsuspecting Commando recruits were ordered to take during the Second World
> War.
>
> Then he will run up Ben Nevis and spend the next two weeks cycling to the
> present-day Commando Training Centre at Lympstone in Devon, stopping to run
> to the highest peaks in England and Wales along the way. The expedition is
> being undertaken to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the closing of the
> Achnacarry training station.

F*ck!

--
Sara

iChat: sarakirk (AIM)
So, what are you going to do? Sucker me to death?

> Sgt Rodgers, 34, will don a 36-pound pack, and make the legendary
> seven-mile
> speed march from nearby Spean Bridge station to Achnacarry, the route
> unsuspecting Commando recruits were ordered to take during the Second
> World
> War.
>
> Then he will run up Ben Nevis and spend the next two weeks cycling to the
> present-day Commando Training Centre at Lympstone in Devon, stopping to
> run
> to the highest peaks in England and Wales along the way. The expedition is
> being undertaken to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the closing of the
> Achnacarry training station.

Sounds like a wimp to me; he should be doing it with a 40 Kg pack and on a
unicycle,
going backwards of course.
Seriously, sounds like one hell of a tough challenge, good luck to him.

Niv.

Duncan Gray wrote:

> Then he will run up Ben Nevis and spend the next two weeks cycling to the
> present-day Commando Training Centre at Lympstone in Devon, stopping to run
> to the highest peaks in England and Wales along the way. The expedition is
> being undertaken to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the closing of the
> Achnacarry training station.

Hmmm, two weeks.

Sounds like he's a very fit runner in the mountains, but only an
averagely fit cyclist. Substitute walk for run on those three
mountains, and it looks like a nice holiday. And I'm not one
of those people who could ever contemplate a 'serious' audax!

--
Nick Kew

Nick Kew wrote:

> Hmmm, two weeks.
>
> Sounds like he's a very fit runner in the mountains, but only an
> averagely fit cyclist. Substitute walk for run on those three
> mountains, and it looks like a nice holiday. And I'm not one
> of those people who could ever contemplate a 'serious' audax!

Agreed. It,s a worthy cause but two weeks is an average time for
moderately fit cyclists to do an end2end which is hundreds of miles
longer. And the three peaks by the shortest routes are 12-16 hours up
and down in total for averagely fit hillwalkers.
Iain

On 24 Sep 2005 10:35:35 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Nick Kew wrote:
>

>> Hmmm, two weeks.
>>
>> Sounds like he's a very fit runner in the mountains, but only an
>> averagely fit cyclist. Substitute walk for run on those three
>> mountains, and it looks like a nice holiday. And I'm not one
>> of those people who could ever contemplate a 'serious' audax!

>Agreed. It,s a worthy cause but two weeks is an average time for
>moderately fit cyclists to do an end2end which is hundreds of miles
>longer.

Hundreds of miles? 3 peaks is about 500 miles, then 300 to get to
Lympstone, that gets him up to 800 miles, so not that much less, but
sure he's not doing anything absolutely amazing - why should we expect
him too?

Jim.