How to spot strava cheats?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by ambal, Mar 10, 2014.

1. ambal

ambal Active Member

What is the best way to spot strava cheats?

I'm asking because strava is great fun, but people who race in crap grades are often smashing my times on KOM's. Digital EPO, tail wind dopers, racing and claiming Kom's, drafting cars or motor bikes the list goes on.

How do you deal with these jokers?

Tags:

2. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Make the segments private.

Btw lately I was flagging alot of segments in Strava. There were some segments that in the total of 3km or something they had about 4 traffic lights.

3. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

You don't. Workout data is far to easy to fake.

Maybe some of those crap grade racers have good power but bad tactics?

Some of my KOMs have been earned on solo efforts with little wind, but most are with some sort of assistance be it weather (wind) or fellow riders. I consider them honest efforts given the conditions at the time.

Should riders turn off their GPSs when they have a tailwind or are riding with others? I don't think so, maybe Strava could include a feature to opt-out of segments for particular rides if for some reason the rider felt they had an unfair advantage or bad data.

I enjoy the competitive aspect of Stava segments and use it to make myself faster. In the end, the most important comparisons are made against myself and regular ride mates.

4. ambal

ambal Active Member

You're probably right about the bad tactics point.