How to start a young kid in cycling

codeman73

Feb 28, 2009
My son is pretty young still but has been obsessed with the Cycling since the Amgen tour came through town last year. He is only 9 years old and I'm unsure on where or how to start the kid in cycling or any other type of racing at this point. His facination with the sport doesn't seem to be fading so I want to help him get started. Any suggestions??

codeman73 said:
My son is pretty young still but has been obsessed with the Cycling since the Amgen tour came through town last year. He is only 9 years old and I'm unsure on where or how to start the kid in cycling or any other type of racing at this point. His facination with the sport doesn't seem to be fading so I want to help him get started. Any suggestions??
Looks like it's a bit quiet on the replies front. You might want to re-post on the Road forum.
Contact all of the cycling clubs in your local area and find which is most junior-friendly. My daughter started club racing (road) when she was 8. She then started riding track at meets arranged by 2 other clubs. The club that organised the road racing introduction was / is excellent, but is a bit too far from where we live. One of the others also had a strong Junior focus, and she joined it.
She has gone from strength to strength at both road and track, with regular squad training. She is now 12, and races interstate (in Australia).
Cycling has been excellent in her physical and mental development. She also has several great role models presented with the older kids (some of whom are current World Champions, and 2 of them riding for Garmin-Transitions).
All of the kids receive a lot of coaching input on riding skills, and are a pleasure to ride with on the road or track (a lot better than some of the chain gangs I've ridden with).
Take the time to try, and assess, all of the club options around you. Some clubs are very welcoming, and others can be like trying to join the mafia. Check what training and club events they run that allow your son to develop his skills in an enjoyable setting, and remember that, as things ramp up, it's still got to be fun.
Also, don't forget your wallet - If he takes to it, your bank account will develop a perpetual leak. The good thing is, you may be able to sneak a few upgrades in for yourself, justifying them as necessary in aiding your son's development.

Cheers,
Eoin

[lang=bg]visit to ,belt wholesaleFashionsport88.com has lots of quality cosmetic supplies for sale at special discount prices! Check out our discount wholesale closeouts for lipstick[/lang]

Date who you want to date but keep them away from the kiddo's. You just need to find the right woman and that sometimes can take a really long time. You said your not happy when you get steady but thats only because you haven't found a girl that you can't live with out and you have to date to find out which one that is. Stop going long term and just date for a while..

Date who you want to date but keep them away from the kiddo's. You just need to find the right woman and that sometimes can take a really long time. You said your not happy when you get steady but thats only because you haven't found a girl that you can't live with out and you have to date to find out which one that is. Stop going long term and just date for a while..