Cycling Training · Public discussion

How to start the season...

Started by ecarter202 · · Last activity · 5 posts · 691 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
3 February 2013
Last activity
3 February 2013
Original author
ecarter202
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
691
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am new to the cycling world. I have recently purchased my first road bike, and have been mountain biking for the last 2 years. Last season I pushed myself too hard, causing heart issues. Then after the smart choice of getting a Garmin, I've avoided such pain. However, no matter how much I read into the how-to's, do's and don'ts, I never seem to see results in my cardio.

    So, my main question: how should one, who has been quite sedentary through the winter, start of the cycling season right? How often should riding time be, along with recovery time? What kind of riding should be done the most: steady, low heart rate, or consistent peaking?

    Thank you!

  2. I would start just going for rides at a comfortable pace, try to pick a fairly flat route ( I see you live in utah - I take it a lot of hills /mountains?)

    Always stopping when you feel like you could have rode more. 48 hrs between rides to start. Slowly start increasing distance/time - let faster pace just happen. Steady relatively low heart rate to start.

  3. If you have limits set by your doctor, follow them.

    If your heart issues are resolved, there is no reason to take it easy.

    There is no reason to avoid hills or even mountains. You have a mountain bike. Use the low gears on it and ride up the hills.

    Other than that: Go out and do what you can do. Don't do what you cannot do. Save something for tomorrow.

  4. ecarter202 said:

    I am new to the cycling world. I have recently purchased my first road bike, and have been mountain biking for the last 2 years. Last season I pushed myself too hard, causing heart issues. Thank you!

    what do you mean exactly with heart issues ?

  5. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by vspa [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    what do you mean exactly with heart issues ?

    sharp, consistent chest pain. enzyme levels were elevated past a abnormal level (even after exercising). The pain increased when inhaling, because my lungs were expanding, and pressuring the heart. They assumed it was pericarditis (inflammation of the side of the heart), but couldn't find any sign of it after PET scan, cardiac MRI, x-rays, etc. They said take Ibuprofen (1600mg/day) for a few weeks, and then get back on the bike.

    Result: nothing really helped until I got a HRM and kept it under 170.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.