How to stop getting so many punctures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justo316

Apr 26, 2003
I keep getting punctures....I only ride my mountain bike around the streets at the moment. It seems that everytime I go over a bit of grass, I come back with one of those Double G things stuck in the tyre.

Can you get tyres or tubes that hold up against punctures a bit better?

Originally posted by justo316
I keep getting punctures....I only ride my mountain bike around the streets at the moment. It seems that everytime I go over a bit of grass, I come back with one of those Double G things stuck in the tyre.

Can you get tyres or tubes that hold up against punctures a bit better?

Get some tyre liners of some sort - i.e. plastic inners that go between the tyre and the tube...

I use Mr Tuffys and swear by them... I commute 50kms every day and have had approx 3 punctures in the last 2 years - and they were either 3 inch nails or equivalent lengths of metal.

They may add a small amount of weight to your wheels but I will put up with that for hassle free riding.

Another vote for tyre liners from me. The grassed areas around me are covered in DoubleGs, and after a couple of punctures and absolutely writing off two tubes (About 500 DoubleG punctures in each one after riding over a really bad track...) I got some tyre liners. They're just kevlar/plastic and very tough.

Tyre liners? Sounds cool....just the thing....Im getting pretty damn good at patching up tyre punctures now....

Hi. "Thornproof" tubes are still available. They have a very thick outer area of their circumference. You may need to find a more sympathetic bike shop propietor. The firm which imported them
was/is, I think, BBC, Jersey Rd, Bayswater, wholesale only. Both 26 and 28 inch sizes, maybe even 27 inch. Still, those double-gee things and proper bindii's might get through, I dunno.
Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.