How To Stop Seat Post Sliding

"Ed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You're missing a couple valuable clues here;
>
> 1. Bike came from Sam's Club. What are the odds that some junior
> high summer employee stuck the nearest wrong size seatpost in this
> frame during assembly?

This is possible, but the seatpost requires some force to get in the first
bit of the way and then gets a bit easier to move around the area I
typically clamp it.

> 2. Original bolt broke. Wonder why? Perhaps because someone cranked
> down on that one so many times trying to keep the seatpost from
> slipping that the bolt stripped.

Yes, that would be me. If I recall correctly the original bolt failed by
shearing off (breaking in half)

> I would highly recommend you don't cut or modify the frame. Frame is
> probably thicker CrMo and there's a chance that if you cut off the
> ears you wouldn't get a more modern seatpost collar to tighten
> properly either.
>
> Make and install a shim, or take the frame and/or post to a shop and
> get then to measure the inside tube diameter and recommend the correct
> size seatpost. It may be one that's essentially unavailable unless
> the shop has a nice supply of old posts. Or it's almost a sure bet
> you could find it on Ebay.

As I mentioned before, "There is not space to add a shim around the post"

-Scott Ehardt
http://www.scehardt.com

"Thomas Cuny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Scott Ehardt wrote:
> > So on to the problem: I am at a loss as to why this seat post won't
> > stop
> > sliding down! As you can see in the photos (below), I have a bolt
> > holding
> > in the seat post since the original fastener broke a long time ago.

> Drill a hole through the seat post and stick a nail through it.

I did consider this, but I thought it would not be good for the overall
structural integrity. Anyone else have thoughts?

-Scott Ehardt
http://www.scehardt.com/

Scott Ehardt wrote:
> "Thomas Cuny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Scott Ehardt wrote:
>>
>>>So on to the problem: I am at a loss as to why this seat post won't
>>>stop
>>>sliding down! As you can see in the photos (below), I have a bolt
>>>holding
>>>in the seat post since the original fastener broke a long time ago.

>>Drill a hole through the seat post and stick a nail through it.

> I did consider this, but I thought it would not be good for the overall
> structural integrity. Anyone else have thoughts?
>
> -Scott Ehardt
> http://www.scehardt.com/

A long tube inserted in the seat tube below the seat post all the way
down to the bottom tube. Then cut so that when the seat post rides on
top of it your saddle will be the right height.

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

> On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 19:52:46 -0500, Ed
> <[email protected]> wrote:

-snip seat post slips-

[email protected] wrote:
> I think that the rear view shows that the seat-post fits
> snugly into the frame and that the sides of the slit down
> the seat-tube are not compressed:
>
> http://img4.exs.cx/img4/6505/DSCF0219.jpg
>
> The seat post diameter is fine. The problem is that the ears
> have failed--instead of tightening the seat-tube, they've
> bent to the point that they touch each other and can no
> longer tighten things.
> Look how badly the ears are bent. You'd have to expand the
> seat-tube quite a bit for any shimming to spread them far
> enough apart to begin working again.
> Or so it looks to me.

Any frame service shop can easily redo the seat lug ears.
It's a common repair.

The ears are prised back to their original shape, drilled
through and a piece of tube is slipped through them. The
entire ear is filled with bronze, slit and cleaned up. If
you look closely at premium handmade bicycles built with
pressed lugs you'll see that process frequently.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

I had the same problem with my Trek 830. I solved it by using a stainless
steel hose clamp around the seat post. Tighten securely and it will act as a
stop and prevent the post from sliding down into the frame.

--
Richard Amirault N1JDU
Boston, MA, USA Go Fly A Kite

"Scott Ehardt" wrote ...