How to store bike between rides?....

biker7

Oct 15, 2004
Hey Guys,
Would like to ask how you keep your high price steeds upright when not in the saddle. I like to keep my bikes in the house where its dry and leaning them up against the wall is precarious at best as most road bikes do not have a kick stand. Would prefer a floor rack/stand (not a repair stand) of sorts to hold the back wheel/bike vertical when the bike is not being ridden. Is this what most do on the forum? If so, do you have a link with a brand and model stand you prefer?
Thank you,
George

Here is one floor stand made by Saris for a single bike that looks rather simple and elegant.
http://www.bikemania.biz/Saris_Wheel_Arch_Bike_Rack_p/saris_wheelarch.htm

Distance between hoops can be adjusted to accomodate narrow road bike wheels. I am looking for something that will secure a bike with 700c wheels and 23-25mm tire width that "won't scratch the wheels or get too close to the frame"...be it front fork or drop outs.
There may be a board concensus on a good rack for this purpose.
Thanks,
George

rule62 said:
Hang 'em high.

Yeah. This is what I do, and cheaply I might add. I get two shelf brackets from the hardware store (about 8", pine, about $7 each) and then I have them cut me two pine boards as wide as the bracket and about 12" long. They can route the edges and the total for boards and routing is under $10. Stain them. Glue some felt on top ($0.99 from a craft store for a 9x12" piece). Hang and measure. Viola. Have to admit I had to improvise and put a screw in the wall out by the handlebar, with a small looped section of string. Loop around the bar and hook on the screw head - you cant even see it. Prevents the wheel/bars from coming out away from wall parallel. I attached a pic of my first setup that way. Had to move them down so I could hang a second pair above this bike, but it worked out just fine.

Quite a nice bike Graf...an aggressive set up...quite a stem on that baby. A creative approach as long as your shelves are screwed right into the wall studs which I presume they are. Gives new meaning to wall art...which a bike of your stature is of course. Your approach with felt seems pretty non-invasive...well maybe to the brake cable ;) I personally don't like anything touching the frame which BTW is problematic to working on a bike as well in terms of clamping to a repair stand.
And serenaslu as mentioned in the thread opener...I prefer nothing to touch the frame so the rear seat stay giddy up you are running doesn't wash for me all though it may not mark your paint job and work fine. If I am gonna mark anything I prefer it to be a wheel and not the frame.
Keep 'em coming guys...presume techniques used correlate closely to the value of your bikes but there probably are a couple of $5K bikes hanging from hooks in the garage :eek:
George

biker7 said:
Quite a nice bike Graf...an aggressive set up...quite a stem on that baby. A creative approach as long as your shelves are screwed right into the wall studs which I presume they are. Gives new meaning to wall art...which a bike of your stature is of course. Your approach with felt seems pretty non-invasive...well maybe to the brake cable ;) I personally don't like anything touching the frame which BTW is problematic to working on a bike as well in terms of clamping to a repair stand.
And serenaslu as mentioned in the thread opener...I prefer nothing to touch the frame so the rear seat stay giddy up you are running doesn't wash for me all though it may not mark your paint job and work fine. If I am gonna mark anything I prefer it to be a wheel and not the frame.
Keep 'em coming guys...presume techniques used correlate closely to the value of your bikes but there probably are a couple of $5K bikes hanging from hooks in the garage :eek:
George
I hang mine on a Rhode Gear trunk rack which is mounted on the garage wall. It's not quite $5K, but it is a custom bike. The foam cushions treat the top tube just fine.

dhk said:
I hang mine on a Rhode Gear trunk rack which is mounted on the garage wall. It's not quite $5K, but it is a custom bike. The foam cushions treat the top tube just fine.

Ooooh!! But it's still touching the frame!! How icky!! :eek: :p

supergrill said:
Ooooh!! But it's still touching the frame!! How icky!! :eek: :p
I know: if the foam cushions pick up a grain of grit, I could put a scratch in my paint. I'll admit that I bought my bike to ride, not to polish and display in my den.

It does get washed when dirty, but not immediately after every muddy ride. And no wax or polish. At 5400 miles now, I've got a couple of light scrapes on the CF forks and stay, and a couple of small paint chips off the BB and rear dropouts too.

I don't abuse the bike, but having a light patina of wear as the miles accumulate doesn't detract from my enjoyment of riding it in the least.

biker7 said:
Quite a nice bike Graf...an aggressive set up...quite a stem on that baby. A creative approach as long as your shelves are screwed right into the wall studs which I presume they are. Gives new meaning to wall art...which a bike of your stature is of course. Your approach with felt seems pretty non-invasive...well maybe to the brake cable ;) I personally don't like anything touching the frame which BTW is problematic to working on a bike as well in terms of clamping to a repair stand. [edit]

Thanks. :cool: Yeah, I have gotten a few comments about it being a bit agressive, but it feels great to ride that way. No going back once you do. Cable is internal. On a non-internal setup, one could rig a little padded seat the frame could go into without actually touching the cable I suppose. Looking at doing just that for the second bike.

well said dhk...there is a line and it varies with each as to how anal people maintain their bikes. Some treat bikes like appliances and some as fine instruments and every gradient in between. Something to be said for what you coin a fine patina of wear which supports the truth that an original high end bike in good but used unrestored shape is generally more coveted than repainted examples. Which incidentally pertains to high end or collector cars as well.
Most of us get a little sick be it bike or car when something fouls the paint but it happens almost with regularity.
George

graf zeppelin said:
Ehh. Attachment. :D Was before I had put the felt on.

That's a thing of beauty.

I put her against the wall, which is white. Now I have marks on the wall and my roommate doesn't like it, but I don't have anywhere else to put it or hang it: part of beaing a college kid I guess.

biker7 said:
well said dhk...there is a line and it varies with each as to how anal people maintain their bikes. Some treat bikes like appliances and some as fine instruments and every gradient in between. Something to be said for what you coin a fine patina of wear which supports the truth that an original high end bike in good but used unrestored shape is generally more coveted than repainted examples. Which incidentally pertains to high end or collector cars as well.
Most of us get a little sick be it bike or car when something fouls the paint but it happens almost with regularity.
George
Thanks, but I don't care about the resale value either. It's not a destined to be a classic, just a SANO built for me here. My goal is to put 50K miles on it, break the frame from fatigue....then put it in the builder's "Hall of Fame" of his busted bikes.

I do my best to maintain perfect function from the bike...quiet drivetrain, smooth shifting, trued wheels with balanced tires, etc. But the little stuff that shows I use the bike just doesn't bother me.

I have always hung my bikes from the front wheels. I use a single rubber coated metal hook per bike screwed into the rafters in the garage. The bikes are up out of the way and hang vertically against the wall.:cool:

I use on of these......We live in an apt. and did not want to penetrate the walls. It takes muy little space, and it will hold 4 bikes. It also doesn't look bad w/ mission style furniture. The pic is a screenshot from Performance Bike's online catalog.

The rubber coated arms don't mar my paint or leave any marks. FWIW, I think a bike is prolly more likely to get scratched or otherwise defiled on the street than when it's on the rack...

I think Rule62's early response to this post was elegantly simple & expressed my personal feelings on this topic very succinctly.

However, I like Graf's setup and the felt adds a nice touch - I would however notch out the pine to form a U-shaped cradle - in addition, I'd mount the setup over the mantle in the living room and never use that bike - I'd get another bike to actually use.