How to store bikes?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Doug, May 1, 2003.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> typed:

    > Incidentally, do you use the hooks sold by the CTC, 9.99 each I think, or some others? I need to
    > hang four bikes (at present) and so I am looking to keep the costs down.

    Ones from the local B&Q/Hardware store/bike shop. About £1.99 for two IIRC. Similar to
    http://www.justoffbase-tools.co.uk/products.asp?section=19&stno=59243 but without the rawlplugs and
    a bit cheaper in red or black.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  2. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] family.com says...
    > In news:[email protected], Colin Blackburn
    > <[email protected]> typed:
    > >
    > > Incidentally, do you use the hooks sold by the CTC, 9.99 each I think, or some others? I need to
    > > hang four bikes (at present) and so I am looking to keep the costs down.
    > >

    > Ones from the local B&Q/Hardware store/bike shop. About £1.99 for two IIRC. Similar to
    > http://www.justoffbase-tools.co.uk/products.asp?section=19&stno=59243 but without the rawlplugs
    > and a bit cheaper in red or black.

    How well do these fair coming out of a wall horizontally? They don't look, at first glance, that
    they'd do the job I want which is to hold bikes vertically against a wall.

    (Thanks Michael for the url too.)

    Colin

  3. In message <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn
    <[email protected]> writes
    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] family.com says...
    >> In news:[email protected], Colin Blackburn
    >> <[email protected]> typed:
    >> >
    >> > Incidentally, do you use the hooks sold by the CTC, 9.99 each I think, or some others? I need
    >> > to hang four bikes (at present) and so I am looking to keep the costs down.
    >> >

    >> Ones from the local B&Q/Hardware store/bike shop. About £1.99 for two IIRC. Similar to
    >> http://www.justoffbase-tools.co.uk/products.asp?section=19&stno=59243 but without the rawlplugs
    >> and a bit cheaper in red or black.
    >
    >How well do these fair coming out of a wall horizontally? They don't look, at first glance, that
    >they'd do the job I want which is to hold bikes vertically against a wall.
    >
    >(Thanks Michael for the url too.)
    >
    >Colin

    Mine are screwed into the roof beams. I've also got two T-bar racks which are rawlplugged into the
    wall and the weight of the bikes at the end of the levers must apply a pretty big force to the plugs
    but they're rock solid.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

    > In message <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn
    > <[email protected]> writes
    > >How well do these fair coming out of a wall horizontally? They don't look, at first glance, that
    > >they'd do the job I want which is to hold bikes vertically against a wall.
    > >

    > Mine are screwed into the roof beams. I've also got two T-bar racks which are rawlplugged into the
    > wall and the weight of the bikes at the end of the levers must apply a pretty big force to the
    > plugs but they're rock solid.

    Mmm, there are no roof beams in the area used for storage, I need to be able to fix something
    directly onto a breeze block wall. I may buy some of the simple hooks to try, they can always be
    reused for ladders and the like if they don't work with bikes, and move on to the CTC-style hooks if
    there's a problem.

    Colin

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> typed:

    > How well do these fair coming out of a wall horizontally? They don't look, at first glance, that
    > they'd do the job I want which is to hold bikes vertically against a wall.

    Used them that way also and they work fine. You want the rear wheel clear of the ground so its
    hanging on the front wheel.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  6. Guy Chapman

    Guy Chapman Guest

    Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > >I hang all mine alternately handlebar up, handlebar down from hooks.
    > > Whe not have them all right-way-up with the bars at alternate ends?

    > Depends on the hooks. If I understand what I think you mean you'd need to alternate wheel hooks
    > (like those the CTC sell) with handlebar hooks, like those Tusk do.

    Mystery solved. My bikes live the horizontal, not vertical.