How to store bikes?

In news:MPG.191c4a1323a575f09899ae@localhost, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> typed:

> Incidentally, do you use the hooks sold by the CTC, 9.99 each I think, or some others? I need to
> hang four bikes (at present) and so I am looking to keep the costs down.

Ones from the local B&Q/Hardware store/bike shop. About £1.99 for two IIRC. Similar to
http://www.justoffbase-tools.co.uk/products.asp?section=19&stno=59243 but without the rawlplugs and
a bit cheaper in red or black.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

In article <[email protected]>, junk@raven- family.com says...
> In news:MPG.191c4a1323a575f09899ae@localhost, Colin Blackburn
> <[email protected]> typed:
> >
> > Incidentally, do you use the hooks sold by the CTC, 9.99 each I think, or some others? I need to
> > hang four bikes (at present) and so I am looking to keep the costs down.
> >

> Ones from the local B&Q/Hardware store/bike shop. About £1.99 for two IIRC. Similar to
> http://www.justoffbase-tools.co.uk/products.asp?section=19&stno=59243 but without the rawlplugs
> and a bit cheaper in red or black.

How well do these fair coming out of a wall horizontally? They don't look, at first glance, that
they'd do the job I want which is to hold bikes vertically against a wall.

(Thanks Michael for the url too.)

Colin

In message <MPG.191c7afe71bed21b9899b8@localhost>, Colin Blackburn
<[email protected]> writes
>In article <[email protected]>, junk@raven- family.com says...
>> In news:MPG.191c4a1323a575f09899ae@localhost, Colin Blackburn
>> <[email protected]> typed:
>> >
>> > Incidentally, do you use the hooks sold by the CTC, 9.99 each I think, or some others? I need
>> > to hang four bikes (at present) and so I am looking to keep the costs down.
>> >

>> Ones from the local B&Q/Hardware store/bike shop. About £1.99 for two IIRC. Similar to
>> http://www.justoffbase-tools.co.uk/products.asp?section=19&stno=59243 but without the rawlplugs
>> and a bit cheaper in red or black.
>
>How well do these fair coming out of a wall horizontally? They don't look, at first glance, that
>they'd do the job I want which is to hold bikes vertically against a wall.
>
>(Thanks Michael for the url too.)
>
>Colin

Mine are screwed into the roof beams. I've also got two T-bar racks which are rawlplugged into the
wall and the weight of the bikes at the end of the levers must apply a pretty big force to the plugs
but they're rock solid.
--
Michael MacClancy

> In message <MPG.191c7afe71bed21b9899b8@localhost>, Colin Blackburn
> <[email protected]> writes
> >How well do these fair coming out of a wall horizontally? They don't look, at first glance, that
> >they'd do the job I want which is to hold bikes vertically against a wall.
> >

> Mine are screwed into the roof beams. I've also got two T-bar racks which are rawlplugged into the
> wall and the weight of the bikes at the end of the levers must apply a pretty big force to the
> plugs but they're rock solid.

Mmm, there are no roof beams in the area used for storage, I need to be able to fix something
directly onto a breeze block wall. I may buy some of the simple hooks to try, they can always be
reused for ladders and the like if they don't work with bikes, and move on to the CTC-style hooks if
there's a problem.

Colin

In news:MPG.191c7afe71bed21b9899b8@localhost, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> typed:

> How well do these fair coming out of a wall horizontally? They don't look, at first glance, that
> they'd do the job I want which is to hold bikes vertically against a wall.

Used them that way also and they work fine. You want the rear wheel clear of the ground so its
hanging on the front wheel.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > >I hang all mine alternately handlebar up, handlebar down from hooks.
> > Whe not have them all right-way-up with the bars at alternate ends?

> Depends on the hooks. If I understand what I think you mean you'd need to alternate wheel hooks
> (like those the CTC sell) with handlebar hooks, like those Tusk do.

Mystery solved. My bikes live the horizontal, not vertical.