how to take the gripshift off a bike?

Tony Pham

Jan 2, 2011
I have the following gripshift installed on my cannondale 400. http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=184353&d=1293922595

However I want to slide it off my handlebar but I don't know how because the grip shift cable is too tight. Does anyone know how to loosen it? I could I suppose take it off from the housing sections along the body from the head to the tube? I don't know how to do that though. The grip shift is s o c l o s e to sliding off. It just needs like 1/2 an inch more slack.

Normally on a GS there is a small allen bolt to undo and the whole assembly nicely slides off, no force no tools to PRY it off.......

If you have to use force you are breaking something

I already undid that but when I tried to pull apart the grip shifter it didn't dissassemble. Is there a trick to pulling it apart?

With your chain on the largest cog in the rear shift your shifter to the smallest cog without pedaling the bike. This will extend out all the slack in you cable and allow you to remove your cable housing from one of the stops. You can now remove that shifter. The same goes for the front shifter with your chain on the largest chainring shift your shifter to the smallest chain ring while keeping the chain on the largest. I hope this makes sense beccause it will work.

Sorry so is my rear shifter on the right hand side ? (i think it is usually). I tried to shift from 8 to 1 but I couldn't go all the way there. It stopped at 4

Originally Posted by Tony Pham .

Sorry so is my rear shifter on the right hand side ? (i think it is usually). I tried to shift from 8 to 1 but I couldn't go all the way there. It stopped at 4

Your rear shifter is on the right. You need to normally shift it to 1 by rotating your pedals as you are shifting. This will put your chain on the largest cog in the rear. Once it is normally on the largest cog you should be able to follow the instructions on my previous post. Which I pasted below.

With your chain on the largest cog in the rear shift your shifter to the smallest cog without pedaling the bike. This will extend out all the slack in you cable and allow you to remove your cable housing from one of the stops. You can now remove that shifter. The same goes for the front shifter with your chain on the largest chainring shift your shifter to the smallest chain ring while keeping the chain on the largest. I hope this makes sense because it will work.

Here is another way to achieve your goal. Remove your rear wheel. Shift your shifter all the way to 8. Grab your rear deraileur in your hand and push it in towards the center of your bike. This will also give you cable slack that will allow you to pull the cable housing out of the stop.

I have to rotate the pedals while shifting? I thought I was advised to "With your chain on the largest cog in the rear shift your shifter to the smallest cog without pedaling the bike. "

So it's okay to pedal while shifting?

Have you never ridden a bike before or are you just playing dumb?

sorry I know you have to pedal to change gears but in some instructions on this thread it's indicated not to pedal while shifting the gears for this process. I'm assuming that means not to literally pedal but to spin the pedals manually?

Why don't you just try it every which way and see which method gives you enough slack?