How to tell if a rim is worn out frome brake pads?

Lou

Guest
Is there a general specification or measurement for when a wheel rim (mtb)
needs to be replaced?
I have a Mavic Crosslink wheel with 559x17 rim that is getting worn with
grooves from the V brakes.
How can I tell if its time to replace the rim?

Thanks,
Lou

I've seen them run until there's nothing left - a hole in the wall.

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

Just grip the rim between fore finger and thumb, you'll be able to tell
how concave the rim has become. But as to how thin is too thin, I don't
know. I used to ride rims until they split, you can still ride 'em, you
just can't brake.

Marz wrote:
> Just grip the rim between fore finger and thumb, you'll be able to tell
> how concave the rim has become. But as to how thin is too thin, I don't
> know. I used to ride rims until they split, you can still ride 'em, you
> just can't brake.

Have you ever tacoed a wheel on a jump because the rim catastrophically
split from excessive wear? It doesn't appear that way by the looks of
your answer.

To the OP, if you think the rim needs replacing, replace it before it
fails at the wrong time.

JD

I should've added more detail, when I said used to I ment used to,
like, more than 15 years ago before I could afford to swap rims before
the fail and the 'you can still ride 'em' comment just means you can
get home if the rim splits on a ride.

I made the daft assumption the OP wasn't dirt jumping as he has a set
of Crosslinks fitted, but you're right, if in doubt switch 'em out.

Marz

Lou wrote:
> Is there a general specification or measurement for when a wheel rim (mtb)
> needs to be replaced?
> I have a Mavic Crosslink wheel with 559x17 rim that is getting worn with
> grooves from the V brakes.
> How can I tell if its time to replace the rim?

Whataya using your brakes so much for? ;-)

Shawn

"Marz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I should've added more detail, when I said used to I ment used to,
> like, more than 15 years ago before I could afford to swap rims before
> the fail and the 'you can still ride 'em' comment just means you can
> get home if the rim splits on a ride.
>
> I made the daft assumption the OP wasn't dirt jumping as he has a set
> of Crosslinks fitted, but you're right, if in doubt switch 'em out.
>

> Marz

Actually its my wife's MTB wheels and she does not do any dirt jumping.
I have disc brakes on my bike , but her bike does not have the mounts so I
would have to make up something for the calipers mounts.
We thought about replacing the rims last spring, but they did not seam to
wear a lot over the summer. I guess its the winter riding that really wears
on them so I should change them now.
The V brakes are Shimano with Shimano brake pads. Are there other V brake
pads that stop ok and less wear on the rims?

Thanks,
Lou

Sounds like a trip to the local bike shop, where you should get an
honest opinion about the condition of the rims. Everything suffers more
in the winter, pads, rims, chain and me.

Shimano have nice big pads, spreading the braking force over the rim
and I can't think of another make of v-brake that would produce less
wear. You can get softer pads, I think Kool Stop make some, but I like
Shawn's comment about not braking. The smoother you ride the less you
have to brake and good tires provide better traction and so require
less braking force at the rims.

Marz wrote:
> I should've added more detail, when I said used to I ment used to,
> like, more than 15 years ago before I could afford to swap rims before
> the fail and the 'you can still ride 'em' comment just means you can
> get home if the rim splits on a ride.
>
> I made the daft assumption the OP wasn't dirt jumping as he has a set
> of Crosslinks fitted, but you're right, if in doubt switch 'em out.

One doesn't have to label themselves as a "dirt jumper" to have a rim
fail catastrophically on a jump. The last time I checked, there are
jumps in a lot of trails people may label as "XC" and those jumps can
cause a rim that needs replacing to fail before it cracks.

JD

I think rim sidewalls are approx 1-1.5mm thick so if you hold a piece
of wood against the sidewall and see a dip greater than 0.5mm id think
of replacing it, if you're safety conscious. I've used one until it
went through and left big holes (mavic 317) but it didnt all peel away
at once, it started with little inch long marks and was pretty obvious.
It later just folded on a rock impact without causing much trouble.
Unless you ride hardcore stuff at quite a rate id say keep going until
you see little circumferential marks appearing.

Lou wrote:
> Is there a general specification or measurement for when a wheel rim (mtb)
> needs to be replaced?
> I have a Mavic Crosslink wheel with 559x17 rim that is getting worn with
> grooves from the V brakes.
> How can I tell if its time to replace the rim?
>
> Thanks,
> Lou

GO GIVE YER MOM A RIM JOB! HA!

news:p[email protected]...