How To Tell What Size Chain I Need

Tennjed

Mar 18, 2015
I am a new cyclist. I have a 2010 Specialized Secteur and my chain broke last night. I am going to call the local shops and get a quote on the cost for them to replace it for me, I assume they will ask what size I need.

I have no idea. I have a 9 speed cassette 12-25t and my chainring is 50x34t. I have really no idea what thosr mean of if that is even the info i need

If they needed to ask what size chain you needed then find a different shop.

Alternatively, buy the big Park chain tool and a new link pin for your chain. Remove the one broken section of chain and rejoin using the new pin. It's easy to do if you have the right tool. A Park CT 3.2 gets the job done nicely.

Reactions: steve
Yup 9 speed chain.
Yup dump your LBS.
I always advocate on DIY bike maintenance. You don't have to be super handy to be able to pick up the basics. It will save you money and more importantly make you more independent. So much great information is available online these days.
If you have chain problems out in the middle of nowhere, and you brought your tools along you can just fix it yourself!
Or perhaps its a holiday and you REALLY want to go for a boot, but your chain is broken. Now you have to wait till Monday till the LBS opens.

Why should I dump my cycle shop? I said I assume they will ask me. Remember I am new to this and I wanted to come here and learn a couple of things and educate myself before I contacted the local shop so I will know what he is talking about.

Reactions: FetishRider
Well all you would have to do is just go to your local bike shop and get it measured or ask a local riding buddy that you may have.