How to test for or estimate FTP / Seven Deadly Sins +2

Alex Simmons

Mar 12, 2006
Apologies in advance for the cross post on a few forums.

I have been hanging around various forums lately and noticed what seems like an increase in the basic questions of how to test for and estimate one's Funtional Threshold Power (FTP). Perhaps the ever growing number of new power meter users is rehashing the same issues.

Now of course the topic in general is not new and has been discussed at length in many threads, is discussed in "The Book" and is well covered in the Cycling Peaks web site power training section.

Nevertheless, I thought it worthwhile to go over old ground and write another summary talking through the methods, providing a few links and other comments.

I post the link simply to be picked up in any searches of the topic.

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2008/05/seven-deadly-sins.html

Function Threshold Power
FTP
Seven Deadly Sins
Critical Power
Power Profile
Blood Lactate Measurement
Maximal Aerobic Power
MAP Testing
Time Trial Power

Alex Simmons said:
Apologies in advance for the cross post on a few forums.

I have been hanging around various forums lately and noticed what seems like an increase in the basic questions of how to test for and estimate one's Funtional Threshold Power (FTP). Perhaps the ever growing number of new power meter users is rehashing the same issues.

Now of course the topic in general is not new and has been discussed at length in many threads, is discussed in "The Book" and is well covered in the Cycling Peaks web site power training section.

Nevertheless, I thought it worthwhile to go over old ground and write another summary talking through the methods, providing a few links and other comments.

I post the link simply to be picked up in any searches of the topic.

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2008/05/seven-deadly-sins.html

Function Threshold Power
FTP
Seven Deadly Sins
Critical Power
Power Profile
Blood Lactate Measurement
Maximal Aerobic Power
MAP Testing
Time Trial Power
Hi Alex, are MAP results protocal dependent. Somone I know got 434watts which @ FT should be between 72-77% (312w and 334w). But in a 60min test he really struggled to hold 300watts @ FT:confused:

Ade Merckx said:
Hi Alex, are MAP results protocal dependent. Somone I know got 434watts which @ FT should be between 72-77% (312w and 334w). But in a 60min test he really struggled to hold 300watts @ FT:confused:
Absolutely protocol dependent. What protocol did they use?

Alex Simmons said:
Absolutely protocol dependent. What protocol did they use?
It was a while ago now I can't remember if the ramp rate was 20watts every min or 25watts every min. I'm thinking the later

Ade Merckx said:
It was a while ago now I can't remember if the ramp rate was 20watts every min or 25watts every min. I'm thinking the later
well, they are both legitimate MAP test protocols, typically 20W per minute for elite males and 25W per minute otherwise.

As with all of these methods there are always those that fall outside the typical range.

Of course it can also be a pointer to suspicious power data, so I would also check that it was the same meter and the meter was correctly calibrated and/or zeroed each time.

Ade Merckx said:
Tell him to put the Barbie doll down and get busy on the bike hammering out efforts that last longer than your average one hour TV show lasts between commercials....

If the only time he rides above 300 watts is for 20 or 30 minutes then don't be too suprised if at 45 or 50 minutes he feels like **** at that power.