How to track skid....

Brian Watson said:
byron27 wrote:
> Make sure you have a forged stem kiddies!!!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3jlqq

why would anyone want to skid??

http://www.fyxomatosis.com/cgi-bin/pro/emAlbum.cgi?c=show_image;p=Monster Track Weekend;i=10

Brian.

to look cool?

for me being able to skid is like the first time you learned to do a wheelie as a kid. it just felt great to be able to do it. i can only skid on grass for like 2 seconds ... even then it feels great to pull one off.

Koon

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:07:29 +1000, hippy <[email protected]>
wrote:

>byron27 wrote:
>> Make sure you have a forged stem kiddies!!!
>> http://tinyurl.com/3jlqq

>OldSkoolTrack has some betterer ones :p
>http://www.oldskooltrack.com/files/skids.frame.html
>
>Check out the no hander and what looks like a one-footer.

Having ridden a fixie once, and therefore being totally clueless with
same, why are they all leaning so far forwards? Is it to unweight
the back wheel so it'll skid? I used to do skids on my bmx as a kid,
but with a coaster brake, and you just sat still to do them!

Carl Brewer wrote:
> Having ridden a fixie once, and therefore being totally clueless with
> same, why are they all leaning so far forwards? Is it to unweight
> the back wheel so it'll skid? I used to do skids on my bmx as a kid,
> but with a coaster brake, and you just sat still to do them!

Yes, it's to unweight the rear wheel. Couriers have skid comps where
distance counts. The less weight on the back wheel the longer the skid.
Coaster brake takes the work out of stopping. On a fix you have to
overcome the momentum/intertia(step in any time physucks geeks..) of the
rear wheel. I dunno.. it's easier to stop the wheel spinning when it's
off the ground. I've only tried the track bike on grass, I'm no expert.

hippy

hippy wrote:
> Carl Brewer wrote:
>
>> Having ridden a fixie once, and therefore being totally clueless with
>> same, why are they all leaning so far forwards? Is it to unweight
>> the back wheel so it'll skid? I used to do skids on my bmx as a kid,
>> but with a coaster brake, and you just sat still to do them!

Ah, my eldest boy is going through this phase. rear tyre is slick in
the middle...

> Yes, it's to unweight the rear wheel. Couriers have skid comps where
> distance counts. The less weight on the back wheel the longer the skid.
> Coaster brake takes the work out of stopping. On a fix you have to
> overcome the momentum/intertia(step in any time physucks geeks..) of the
> rear wheel. I dunno.. it's easier to stop the wheel spinning when it's
> off the ground. I've only tried the track bike on grass, I'm no expert.

Unweighting the rear wheel reduces the level of tyre-road friction to
make it easier to start the skid and also prolong it. As you say you
are then only working against the inertia of the rear wheel to actually
stop it. Light rims would be easier to stop than deep-V aero rims. the
gearing would also make a difference. 60" gears would be easier to stop
than 90".

As a side note, the moto-cross jumpers use the inertia of the rear
wheel to help them angle the bike for landing. A blip on the throttle
brings the front wheel up while dabbing the rear brake drops the nose...

--
Brett"Conservation of angular momentum"S