How to track skid....

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by byron27, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003

  2. Brian Watson

    Brian Watson Guest

  3. Koon Yong

    Koon Yong New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2003
    to look cool?

    for me being able to skid is like the first time you learned to do a wheelie as a kid. it just felt great to be able to do it. i can only skid on grass for like 2 seconds ... even then it feels great to pull one off.

    Koon

  4. hippy

    hippy Guest

  5. Carl Brewer

    Carl Brewer Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:07:29 +1000, hippy <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >byron27 wrote:
    >> Make sure you have a forged stem kiddies!!!
    >> http://tinyurl.com/3jlqq

    >OldSkoolTrack has some betterer ones :p
    >http://www.oldskooltrack.com/files/skids.frame.html
    >
    >Check out the no hander and what looks like a one-footer.

    Having ridden a fixie once, and therefore being totally clueless with
    same, why are they all leaning so far forwards? Is it to unweight
    the back wheel so it'll skid? I used to do skids on my bmx as a kid,
    but with a coaster brake, and you just sat still to do them!

  6. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Carl Brewer wrote:
    > Having ridden a fixie once, and therefore being totally clueless with
    > same, why are they all leaning so far forwards? Is it to unweight
    > the back wheel so it'll skid? I used to do skids on my bmx as a kid,
    > but with a coaster brake, and you just sat still to do them!

    Yes, it's to unweight the rear wheel. Couriers have skid comps where
    distance counts. The less weight on the back wheel the longer the skid.
    Coaster brake takes the work out of stopping. On a fix you have to
    overcome the momentum/intertia(step in any time physucks geeks..) of the
    rear wheel. I dunno.. it's easier to stop the wheel spinning when it's
    off the ground. I've only tried the track bike on grass, I'm no expert.

    hippy

  7. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Carl Brewer wrote:
    >
    >> Having ridden a fixie once, and therefore being totally clueless with
    >> same, why are they all leaning so far forwards? Is it to unweight
    >> the back wheel so it'll skid? I used to do skids on my bmx as a kid,
    >> but with a coaster brake, and you just sat still to do them!

    Ah, my eldest boy is going through this phase. rear tyre is slick in
    the middle...

    > Yes, it's to unweight the rear wheel. Couriers have skid comps where
    > distance counts. The less weight on the back wheel the longer the skid.
    > Coaster brake takes the work out of stopping. On a fix you have to
    > overcome the momentum/intertia(step in any time physucks geeks..) of the
    > rear wheel. I dunno.. it's easier to stop the wheel spinning when it's
    > off the ground. I've only tried the track bike on grass, I'm no expert.

    Unweighting the rear wheel reduces the level of tyre-road friction to
    make it easier to start the skid and also prolong it. As you say you
    are then only working against the inertia of the rear wheel to actually
    stop it. Light rims would be easier to stop than deep-V aero rims. the
    gearing would also make a difference. 60" gears would be easier to stop
    than 90".

    As a side note, the moto-cross jumpers use the inertia of the rear
    wheel to help them angle the bike for landing. A blip on the throttle
    brings the front wheel up while dabbing the rear brake drops the nose...

    --
    Brett"Conservation of angular momentum"S