How to Train for 27mi/43km ITT?

Andrew Swan

Guest
A combined training/equipment question please...

I have a 27 mile (43km) ITT coming up in four weeks (the course is a gently undulating out-and-back
with one steepish (~8%?) climb that goes for a few hundred yards/metres). Usually I only race crits
of <= 13 miles (20 km). I have a reasonable base level of fitness from 2 or 3 weekly training rides
of 22-56 mi (35-90km) in addition to my racing.

What's the most useful thing I can do in these four weeks to prepare me for this time trial? I was
mainly after training tips, but any technical tips would be welcome too (e.g. how important are aero
bars and a disc rear wheel?). Right now my bike is a standard road bike, i.e. drop handlebars and
spoked wheels. I use an HRM and have a fair idea what my LT is.

Thanks for any help,

&roo

Andrew Swan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<t2OSb.510$%[email protected]>...
> A combined training/equipment question please...
>
> I have a 27 mile (43km) ITT coming up in four weeks (the course is a gently undulating out-and-
> back with one steepish (~8%?) climb that goes for a few hundred yards/metres). Usually I only race
> crits of <= 13 miles (20 km). I have a reasonable base level of fitness from 2 or 3 weekly
> training rides of 22-56 mi (35-90km) in addition to my racing.
>
> What's the most useful thing I can do in these four weeks to prepare me for this time trial?

http://i24.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/3e/28/94_1.JPG

-RJ

Andrew Swan <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a 27 mile (43km) ITT coming up in four weeks (the course is a gently undulating out-and-
> back with one steepish (~8%?) climb that goes for a few hundred yards/metres). Usually I only race
> crits of <= 13 miles (20 km). I have a reasonable base level of fitness from 2 or 3 weekly
> training rides of 22-56 mi (35-90km) in addition to my racing.

> What's the most useful thing I can do in these four weeks to prepare me for this time trial? I was
> mainly after training tips, but any technical tips would be welcome too (e.g. how important are
> aero bars and a disc rear wheel?). Right now my bike is a standard road bike, i.e. drop handlebars
> and spoked wheels. I use an HRM and have a fair idea what my LT is.

1. This is going to take over an hour. Ride some kind of self-paced time trial beforehand (but not
two days before!) to get an idea of what kind of pace you can hold without blowing or riding too
easy. Maybe around a half hour or more effort? It isn't gonna be paced like a 20km crit.

2. Scrape up a set of clip-on aero bars somewhere and practice riding with them. Don't go apeshit
with disc wheels and such.

3. Buy a pint of really good ice cream and a cooler and have it waiting for you at the finish. This
is going to hurt a lot and you might as well have some reward for motivation. That is, assuming
you feel like eating ice cream after finishing - you might feel more like puking.

Can't help you with all the lactate threshold and intervals and such stuff, I'm not Coggan, just an
rbr dumbass. And you only have four weeks anyway. Some long steady hard efforts probably wouldn't
hurt (well, they will hurt, but that's the point).