How to train for RR in 16 days?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jeff Potter, May 2, 2003.

  1. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    OK, I just now started my spring riding. I'm coming into the season in fair shape from XC ski
    racing. 41 yrs old, 10 lbs overweight. I haven't done a bike race in a couple years but I end up
    each riding season feeling pretty fiesty in the big gears.

    I plan to do the Kensington Road Race, MICH, on May 17. The Citizen/Cat 5 event. A *VERY* hilly 30
    miles. They usually average 21mph and finish in a field sprint up a goodly long hill. On the flats
    they swarm along in the biggest gear pretty fast. They stamp up the hills good, too---it seems like
    they're mostly mtbike racers. Most of them have a humorous mashing pedal style that I don't
    recognize from road riding. They're strong but I bet short on the top end, even up the hills.

    I did this same race a couple years ago and was very satisfied to finish with the front group, then
    had leg cramps (at the finish I also noticed I still had my pump and spare on the bike and that my
    chain was rusty: bummer). I think I was much less prepared all around.

    It's such a GREAT COURSE that I want to do it again and so I have it as a goal BUT IT'S SO SOON!

    I want to see if I can get kind of ready for this race somehow. I'm feeling fiestier so my goal now
    isn't just to finish like it was last time, but it is to SMASH THE FIELD! ... : ) How's that for
    fiest. However, the kids are crazy. They'll chase anyone and always finish as a field. I'm wondering
    if there's any chance for a Cool Move to make the race turn out differently. If I could pull
    something on them that would be great.

    My idea is that I think I can go up the hills better than they can. And if I could get away alone
    or with small group we could take the corners and U's faster. There's a 1 km very narrow, rough,
    gravel section that the group softpedals which I/we could just BLAST. But I think they'd just swarm
    like crazy on the straights. Is getting away from Cat 5's a hopeless thing? For only a slightly
    better rider?

    The XC racing has me in fair TT mode I think. The race is 1:30 hrs. I think I could get ready for
    that much pure suffering.

    I'm thinking to train twice a day. I don't have much time, but I figure if I do at least a half hour
    in the a.m., same in p.m. that that would be better than an hour a day.

    I guess I'll try to get in at least a handful of really hard hill outings.

    I started today with an hour of small gear fast spinning. I plan to do a couple days of that, two a
    day. I'll do some core-strength circuits in the yard, too.

    Well, we'll see what happens!

    If I can get into the big gear by then plus get some 'pop' for the hills, I'll be happy. But I dunno
    if that's really possible. 16 days? Usually it takes a month or so to get rolling. I suppose it's
    just not enough time and I should have just finishing as my goal.

    Maybe I could try to conserve the whole time and if I have some 'pop' left then just go ape on the
    last big finish hill. And hope to not cramp up afterward. And remember to take off the pump/spare.

    --

    Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
    folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Pooter

    Jeff Pooter Guest

    "Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK, I just now started my spring riding. I'm coming into the season in fair shape from XC ski
    > racing. 41 yrs old, 10 lbs overweight. I haven't done a bike race in a couple years but I end up
    > each riding season feeling pretty fiesty in the big gears.
    >
    > I plan to do the Kensington Road Race, MICH, on May 17. The Citizen/Cat 5 event. A *VERY* hilly
    > 30 miles.

    Hot Durn!

    I like talking about these Citizen/Cat 5 events THE BEST! The races for the REAL people!

    What if more of the pros had the Cat 5/laid-back attitude? They could train a lot less, eat more ice
    cream. Less stress.

    Think it might be a racing advantage?

    The pros radiate attitude. With the Citizen/Cat 5 attitude, a racer could blend in with the crowd.
    Could a racer make and attack next to the crowd barriers at a big crit and blend in, go unnoticed?

    In a pro race, what if a pro looked kinda like a spectator? Golf shirt, surf shorts, book rack, no
    lycra. I wonder if they'd find it easier to roll off the front of the pack or catch up to someone
    they were chasing . . .

    YeeeeeeeeHAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW!

    Jeff Pooter

  3. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

    You guys need a LIFE!

    Crystal

    "Jeff Pooter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > OK, I just now started my spring riding. I'm coming into the season in fair shape from XC ski
    > > racing. 41 yrs old, 10 lbs overweight. I haven't done a bike race in a couple years but I end up
    > > each riding season feeling pretty fiesty in the big gears.
    > >
    > > I plan to do the Kensington Road Race, MICH, on May 17. The Citizen/Cat 5 event. A *VERY* hilly
    > > 30 miles.
    >

    > Hot Durn!
    >
    > I like talking about these Citizen/Cat 5 events THE BEST! The races for
    the
    > REAL people!
    >
    > What if more of the pros had the Cat 5/laid-back attitude? They could
    train
    > a lot less, eat more ice cream. Less stress.
    >
    > Think it might be a racing advantage?
    >
    > The pros radiate attitude. With the Citizen/Cat 5 attitude, a racer could blend in with the crowd.
    > Could a racer make and attack next to the crowd barriers at a big crit and blend in, go unnoticed?
    >
    > In a pro race, what if a pro looked kinda like a spectator? Golf shirt,
    surf
    > shorts, book rack, no lycra. I wonder if they'd find it easier to roll off the front of the pack
    > or catch up to someone they were chasing . . .
    >

    > YeeeeeeeeHAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW!
    >

    > Jeff Pooter

  4. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    1. first things first. get off the computer and don't go back to it until after your race.
    2. then just use it to check your official time and see who whooped your assssss.
    3. then sell it and buy some R4 to use after your hard rides for training for your next race.
    4. then in 2004 race the same race again after training all of 2003 and win.
    5. then start the loop all over again with a different race and you have achieved your cycling goals

    j nelson Training - desktop computer = faster cycling

  5. Cycling Joe

    Cycling Joe Guest

    Oh my god, somebody actually asked a racing strategy question in RBR. I think this is a first!

    Jeff Potter wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > If I can get into the big gear by then plus get some 'pop' for the hills, I'll be happy. But I
    > dunno if that's really possible. 16 days? Usually it takes a month or so to get rolling. I suppose
    > it's just not enough time and I should have just finishing as my goal.
    >
    > Maybe I could try to conserve the whole time and if I have some 'pop' left then just go ape on the
    > last big finish hill. And hope to not cramp up afterward. And remember to take off the pump/spare.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
    > folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,
    > skis...plus shops for great sleeper books, videos and music ...plus nationwide "Off the Beaten
    > Path" travel forums for local fun, bumperstickers and a new social magnet stickers! ...Holy

  6. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    One guy doing some fun bike racing.

    The other "guy" being a peanut gallery moron.

    ...I wouldn't use the plural.

    --

    Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
    folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,
    skis...plus shops for great sleeper books, videos and music ...plus nationwide "Off the Beaten Path"
    travel forums for local fun, bumperstickers and a new social magnet stickers! ...Holy Smokes!!!

  7. Beecharmer

    Beecharmer Guest

    Jeff,

    After reading your posts for the past year or two on the xc group, I can appreciate your eagerness
    and openness to suggestions for training. I think there is a lot less ego-stuff in the xc group
    posts... Take the comments with a big grain of salt.

    You're not going to be able to mash big gears in your race, not enough time and there is no point to
    it anyway. Work on spinning and rely on your muscles recovery ability from the xc season to gain
    advantage once you're over the hill (literally, not figuratively-you're only 41 afterall) by
    shifting up and pushing when everyone else is easing off. Try to use their drafts and avoid pulling
    unless you're in a group and its your turn. And oil your chain! If you approach it as seriously as
    you do xc racing, you'll be fine.

    You need some miles in your legs regardless of your xc training, and you shouldn't really start
    speed work until you've got 1000 in them or so. IMHO.

    Good luck and keep posting to this group. I enjoy the change of tone.

    chris ne iowa

  8. Jeff Poptart

    Jeff Poptart Guest

    Jeff Potter wrote:

    > I want to see if I can get kind of ready for this race somehow. I'm feeling fiestier so my goal
    > now isn't just to finish like it was last time, but it is to SMASH THE FIELD!

    You are too late. I have been training 17 days and it is I who will rule the 5's at Kensington! I
    have been training exclusively on dirt roads in my camo-bent so none of those young nancy-boy
    rhodies will know what hit them. Stealthy. It will be too late for them as I watch them groveling in
    my rear view mirror.

    Say, did you know that there will be a book about the race on my website as soon as I finish the
    last chapter? Look for it on May 18.

    Jeff Poptart

  9. I'm currently training for a track event with 3 stages for me. A month of training - now less than a
    month... Missed 6 weeks because of sickness but I drew some benefit from the off-season.

    Jeff Potter <[email protected]> wrote:
    : OK, I just now started my spring riding. I'm coming into the season in fair shape from XC ski
    : racing. 41 yrs old, 10 lbs overweight. I haven't done a bike race in a couple years but I end up
    : each riding season feeling pretty fiesty in the big gears.

    Let's see... 7 days to learn to ride again, 2 days putting the bike in shape and 7 days for pre-race
    taper. Sounds like a plan? :)

    : It's such a GREAT COURSE that I want to do it again and so I have it as a goal BUT IT'S SO SOON!

    Well, which is the second event in your season? If you don't finish this one as the last one, you
    know you'll have a great season ahead. Make this race serve your training for the whole season.

    : However, the kids are crazy. They'll chase anyone and always finish as a field. I'm wondering if
    : there's any chance for a Cool Move to make the race turn out differently. If I could pull
    : something on them that would be great.

    If you are a very good sprinter you could leave it all to the end. If you are a very strong time
    trialler, you could attack on the last hill and head for victory. This is much easier if you are not
    the only very strong time trialler there, though.

    : just swarm like crazy on the straights. Is getting away from Cat 5's a hopeless thing? For only a
    : slightly better rider?

    Basically you need to draft. Wheelsuck the second best guy for
    29.8 miles, then sprint for victory.

    : The XC racing has me in fair TT mode I think. The race is 1:30 hrs. I think I could get ready for
    : that much pure suffering.

    In my understanding you need to train for a month to get any real benefit, and even then you have to
    have a focus in one area of ability.

    You want to be able to go fast for an hour and a half. This means you could do rides of 1.5 hours or
    ride at race pace for 45-60 minutes, etc. That would be the most important part of your training...

    You will need to be able to pace and motivate yourself in the race, so you need to prepare some
    skill for that. Do you base your training on heart rate monitoring?

    : I'm thinking to train twice a day. I don't have much time, but I figure if I do at least a half
    : hour in the a.m., same in p.m. that that would be better than an hour a day.

    Heh, sounds like commuting :)

    How much training could you take during the XC season? 12 sessions per week? Did you have rest days?

    You are transferring to a different kind of training load, so go slightly easier than during the XC
    season. The most important thing is not to overtrain. And you would still have time to read a
    training book or two.

    : I guess I'll try to get in at least a handful of really hard hill outings.

    One or two per week might not hurt, metaphorically speaking.

    : I started today with an hour of small gear fast spinning. I plan to do a couple days of that, two
    : a day. I'll do some core-strength circuits in the yard, too.

    Personally I'd try to focus. Preferably for a full month at a time.

    What's the point in the circuit? You should have excellent general body conditioning from the XC
    season. Now you need cycling-specific abilities, so train on the bike.

    : left then just go ape on the last big finish hill. And hope to not cramp up afterward. And
    : remember to take off the pump/spare.

    Does cramping after the finish matter? :eek:) What caused the cramping?

  10. Tom Paterson

    Tom Paterson Guest

    >Jeff Potter wrote:
    >>
    >> I want to see if I can get kind of ready for this race somehow.

    Motorpacing. --Tom Paterson

  11. Amit

    Amit Guest

  12. Amit

    Amit Guest

    Cycling Joe <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Oh my god, somebody actually asked a racing strategy question in RBR. I think this is a first!

    Don't confuse JP's "thinking out loud" with an actual question. Oh you mean this ?

    > > Is getting away from Cat 5's a hopeless thing? For only a slightly better rider?

    This is only one question (why the first question mark ?), and of course the answer is yes.

  13. Cathy Boland

    Cathy Boland Guest

    > Crystal wrote:
    >
    > > You guys need a LIFE!

    "Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > One guy doing some fun bike racing.
    >
    > The other "guy" being a peanut gallery moron.
    >
    > ...I wouldn't use the plural.

    I would. But the Pooter guy was at least mildly entertaining.

  14. Jeff Potter <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I suppose I'll focus just on finishing and not suffering too bad. But, darn, it would be great to
    : be able to DO something. Racing is no fun if you can't. Man, it's BORING unless you have some kind
    : of card you can play.

    Yup you have more cards if you have prepared better. Early season races can serve as a baseline,
    though, so you know what your approximate performance level can be.

    : Waiting to the end is no fun either.

    Depends on the person... ;)

    : I don't think there are any other great-course races around here. Too bad this one is so early in
    : the year. They used to have 2 or 3 Kensington races. I don't see Paul Alman's name in the
    : management anymore. I hope he didn't burn out! Ann Arbor used to have a nice hilly citizen road
    : race, too. And a Roubaix-like event. I don't see either anymore.

    Is travel or moving an option? For serious recumbent racers, travelling is a must.

    Of course you could time trial on your own, to get at least something done this season. Tried
    ultrariding yet?

  15. Joe Yannie

    Joe Yannie Guest

    Jeff, your best bet in a Cat 5 race is to wait until the sprint at the end. Let everyone else pull
    things back. I doubt there will be a break in the 5's. Just does not happen.

    I think the hilly RR ( through Unadilla I think) fell by the wayside due to the cost of police
    protection.

    There is still a Roubaix event, on a really nasty course: Flat, Windy, and more potholes than spokes
    in everyone's wheels. It is now part of The Tour of SE Michigan ( see
    http://www.quickrelease.com/tourflyer.pdf ) that is going on this weekend.

    "Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > BeeCharmer wrote:
    >
    > > After reading your posts for the past year or two on the xc group, I can appreciate your
    > > eagerness and openness to suggestions for training. I think there is a lot less ego-stuff in the
    > > xc group posts... Take the comments with a big grain of salt.
    >
    > Thanks, BC and the rest of the actual repliers, for your good ideas.
    >
    > I've been posting to RBR for about 10 yrs now, seasonally. I'm familiar with the 4 or 5 dingdongs
    > who give this place its lame rep.
    >
    > I suppose I'll focus just on finishing and not suffering too bad. But, darn, it would be great to
    > be able to DO something. Racing is no fun if you can't. Man, it's BORING unless you have some kind
    > of card you can play. Waiting to the end is no fun either. Oh well. Not enough time probably. But
    > I'll try!
    >
    > I don't think there are any other great-course races around here. Too bad this one is so early in
    > the year. They used to have 2 or 3 Kensington races. I don't see Paul Alman's name in the
    > management anymore. I hope he didn't burn out! Ann Arbor used to have a nice hilly citizen road
    > race, too. And a Roubaix-like event. I don't see either anymore.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
    > folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,
    > skis...plus shops for great sleeper books, videos and music
    >
    > ...plus nationwide "Off the Beaten Path" travel forums for local fun, bumperstickers and a new
    > social magnet stickers! ...Holy Smokes!!!

  16. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Donald Munro wrote:
    > > Pete Biggs wrote:
    > >> BTW, according to the specs, the new Shimanos have much less float than Look 396's 9 degree
    > >> setting. But I'd guess you might like that.
    > >
    > > With the PP396 you can set the amount of float to 0, 3, 6 or 9 degrees which is why I like them
    > > as I can set my problem right leg to 0 degrees and my left to 3 or 6.
    >
    > I posted the above as a warning in case the OP hadn't thought about the Shimanos having less
    > maximum float.
    >
    > ~PB

    Yes Pete I was aware of the reduced float, but I have my 396's set at 3 so that shouldn't cause a
    problem. What does concern me though is the lateral movement of the Shimano's, that has got to be a
    weird feeling? What's the advantage I wonder?

    Thanks for pointing that out though.

    --
    Mark

  17. Jeff Poptart

    Jeff Poptart Guest

    Jeff Potter wrote:
    > Latest update!
    >
    > OK...I'm ready! Well, I've done all I can. The race is this Saturday.
    >
    > My training ended up taking the pattern of day-on/day-off. I built up the "on"s in intensity. So
    > today was my last day. It's a hilly race, so I did a hilly hard ride of race duration. Felt fine.

    Dude, this day-on/day-off ramping stuff went out when Christophe was still welding his own forks.
    Dr. Maserati has me on a hyperbolic parabaloid schedule and I am coming out of the saddle at just
    the right time for Kensington. Yesterday, I averaged 30.5 mph while running errands and one of those
    errands was to the farmacia if you capisce il mio italiano. And unlike you Jeff, my suppositories
    are not nationally advertised. I am ready to rumble saturday and I'll give you fair warning. Stay
    alert in the dirt! You skinny skiers with your HRMs make me laugh. Ha! Dr. M has me using an
    experimental full time lactate monitoring system so that I can tweak the burn until I am comfy with
    levels that were unheard of before. Get tingly!

    Jeff Poptart

  18. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    It's an eery kind of love.

    --

    Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
    folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,
    skis...plus shops for great sleeper books, videos and music ...plus nationwide "Off the Beaten Path"
    travel forums for local fun, bumperstickers and a new social magnet stickers! ...Holy Smokes!!!

  19. Jeff Poptart

    Jeff Poptart Guest

    Jeff Potter wrote:
    > It's an eery kind of love.

    You are confusing imitation with parody. One is the sincerest form of flattery, while the other is
    quite the opposite. That's why they got their own words.

    Gotta go! It's time for another Herbalife vita-load cycle for the big day tomorrow!

    Jeff Poptart

  20. Jeff Pooter

    Jeff Pooter Guest

    "Jeff Poptart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > You are confusing imitation with parody.

    I must say that you've done a fine job of the latter.

    Hats off to you. Next time that bee starts buzzing, I will need to take it up a few levels.