How to train for the Tour de France in 63 days

Jeff Pooter

Guest
OK, I just now started my spring riding. I'm coming into the season in fair shape from XC ski
racing. 41 yrs old, 10 lbs overweight. I haven't done a bike race in a couple years but I end up
each riding season feeling pretty fiesty in the big gears.

I plan to do the Tour de France Road Race, FRANCE, on July 5th. A *VERY* hilly 2130 miles. They
usually average 22mph and finish in a field sprint in Paris. On the flats they swarm along in the
biggest gear pretty fast. They stamp up the hills good, too---it seems like they're mostly bike
racers. Most of them have a humorous mashing pedal style that I don't recognize from recumbent
riding. They're strong but I bet short on the top end, even up the hills.

I did this same race in a dream and was very satisfied to finish with the front group, then had leg
cramps (at the finish I also noticed I still had my pump and spare on the bike and that my chain was
rusty: bummer). I think I was much less prepared all around.

It's such a GREAT COURSE that I want to do it again and so I have it as a goal BUT IT'S SO SOON!

I want to see if I can get kind of ready for this race somehow. I'm feeling fiestier so my goal now
isn't just to finish like it was last time, but it is to SMASH THE FIELD! ... : ) How's that for
fiest. However, the kids are crazy. They'll chase anyone and always finish as a field. I'm wondering
if there's any chance for a Cool Move to make the race turn out differently. If I could pull
something on them that would be great.

My idea is that I think I can go up the hills better than they can. Especially LANCE. And if I could
get away alone or with small group we could take the corners and U's faster. There's a 1 km very
narrow, rough, gravel section that the group softpedals which I/we could just BLAST. But I think
they'd just swarm like crazy on the straights. Is getting away from Cat 5's a hopeless thing? For
only a slightly better rider?

The XC racing has me in fair TT mode I think. The race is 1:30 hrs. I think I could get ready for
that much pure suffering.

I'm thinking to train twice a day. I don't have much time, but I figure if I do at least a half hour
in the a.m., same in p.m. that that would be better than an hour a day.

I guess I'll try to get in at least a handful of really hard hill outings.

I started today with an hour of small gear fast spinning. I plan to do a couple days of that, two a
day. I'll do some core-strength circuits in the yard, too.

Well, we'll see what happens!

If I can get into the big gear by then plus get some 'pop' for the hills, I'll be happy. But I dunno
if that's really possible. 63 days? Usually it takes a month or so to get rolling. I suppose it's
just not enough time and I should have just finishing as my goal.

Maybe I could try to conserve the whole time and if I have some 'pop' left then just go ape on the
last charge into Paris. And hope to not cramp up afterward. And remember to take off the pump/spare.

--

Jeff Pooter [email protected]

Find a good psychologist for even thinking of trying it.

:^]

John Wilke Milwaukee

I can't believe how rude your are. Some asks a question that you don't think is worthy, and you
decide to make fun of him. You should be ashamed.

Bob McBreen

"Jeff Pooter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> hour in the a.m., same in p.m. that that would be better than an hour a day.
>
> I guess I'll try to get in at least a handful of really hard hill outings.
>
> I started today with an hour of small gear fast spinning. I plan to do a couple days of that, two
> a day. I'll do some core-strength circuits in the yard, too.
>
> Well, we'll see what happens!
>
> If I can get into the big gear by then plus get some 'pop' for the hills, I'll be happy. But I
> dunno if that's really possible. 63 days? Usually it takes a month or so to get rolling. I suppose
> it's just not enough time and I should have just finishing as my goal.
>
> Maybe I could try to conserve the whole time and if I have some 'pop' left then just go ape on the
> last charge into Paris. And hope to not cramp up afterward. And remember to take off the

I think this is quite possible with a little help from my friends Harley & Davidson.

> [...]
>hour in the a.m., same in p.m. that that would be better than an hour a day.
>
>I guess I'll try to get in at least a handful of really hard hill outings.
>
>I started today with an hour of small gear fast spinning. I plan to do a couple days of that, two a
>day. I'll do some core-strength circuits in the yard, too.
>
>Well, we'll see what happens!
>
>If I can get into the big gear by then plus get some 'pop' for the hills, I'll be happy. But I
>dunno if that's really possible. 63 days? Usually it takes a month or so to get rolling. I suppose
>it's just not enough time and I should have just finishing as my goal.
>
>Maybe I could try to conserve the whole time and if I have some 'pop' left then just go ape on the
>last charge into Paris. And hope to not cramp up afterward. And remember to take off the

I'm currently training for a recumbent racing event, just a month from now. I contracted SARS while
on holiday in Singapore but I beat it back so I'm GOING TO BEAT ALL THOSE KIDS!!! It's going to be
only 200m and the course is not too hilly, so anybody can do it, and I'm going to do it TWICE AS
WELL as UPPITY SAM and the geeks on their funny camera bikes!

Jeff Pooter <[email protected]> wrote:
: OK, I just now started my spring riding. I'm coming into the season in fair shape from XC ski
: racing. 41 yrs old, 10 lbs overweight. I haven't

Get in a serious high-carbo, low-fat diet, prepare for some real PAIN and above all, lose *at least*
3 lbs of that overweight!

: I plan to do the Tour de France Road Race, FRANCE, on July 5th. A *VERY* hilly 2130 miles. They
: usually average 22mph and finish in a field sprint in Paris. On the flats they swarm along

You sure bet - after 2130 miles on their upwrong bikes they are in a hurry to the loo! Put a
portable loo in your bent and you'll finish with a grin on your face!

: I did this same race in a dream and was very satisfied to finish with the front group, then had
: leg cramps (at the finish I also noticed I still had my pump and spare on the bike and that my
: chain was rusty: bummer). I think I was much less prepared all around.

You can save some extra kick for the hills if you put your pump and spare in your team car. Just
make sure to gas up the car and give a map to the driver beforehand so she can keep up with you
during the race.

: It's such a GREAT COURSE that I want to do it again and so I have it as a goal BUT IT'S SO SOON!

Well, which is the second event in your season? If you lose this one and finish second - or,
shudder - third, you still know you'll have a great season ahead. Make this race serve your
training for the whole season, but remember to think of some clever excuse you can disclose to the
press after the race.

: However, the kids are crazy. They'll chase anyone and always finish as a field. I'm wondering if
: there's any chance for a Cool Move to make the race turn out differently. If I could pull
: something on them that would be great.

If you are very good in bribery you can leave it all to the end. If you are a very strong troll, you
can attack on rec.bicycles.racing and head for victory. This is much easier if you are not the only
very strong troll here, as then you can convince LANCE and KIDS that all racers are just
ego-troubled morons and they will take up a real job instead of racing.

: The XC racing has me in fair TT mode I think. The race is 1:30 hrs. I think I could get ready for
: that much pure suffering.

In my understanding you need to train for a decade to get any real benefit, and even then you have
to have a focus in one area of ability.

You will need to be able to pace and motivate yourself in the race, so you need to prepare some
skill for that. Do you base your training on Usenet discussions?

: I'm thinking to train twice a day. I don't have much time, but I figure if I do at least a half
: hour in the a.m., same in p.m. that that would be better than an hour a day.

Heh, sounds like you are employed or some other weird thing :)

How much training could you take during the XC season? 12 sessions per week? Did you make it a point
to train maximally even on the flu days?

You are transferring to a different kind of training load, so ignore the pain and just train hard
enough to reach the level you are truly capable of. The most important thing is to train at least
twice every day and train HARD! And you still have time to incite a flamewar or two.

: I guess I'll try to get in at least a handful of really hard hill outings.

One or two per week might not hurt, but remember to eat your salad as well.

: I started today with an hour of small gear fast spinning. I plan to do a couple days of that, two
: a day. I'll do some core-strength circuits in the yard, too.

Personally I'd try to focus. Preferably for a full month at a time.

What's the point in the circuit? You should have excellent general body conditioning from the XC
season. Now you need cycling-specific abilities, so you need to mash big gears as soon as possible.

: Well, we'll see what happens!

You are doing just fine! Just make sure to enter the starting cordinates to your GPS well in
advance, so you can be there to SMOKE all the uprights in your lowracer.

: Maybe I could try to conserve the whole time and if I have some 'pop' left then just go ape on the
: last charge into Paris. And hope to not cramp up afterward. And remember to take off the
: pump/spare.

Don't worry about the pump and spare. Worry about all the race groupie chicks flocking to you!

Bob McBreen wrote:
> I can't believe how rude your are. Some asks a question that you don't think is worthy, and you
> decide to make fun of him. You should be ashamed.

What he should be ashamed of is his laziness. If you're going to spoof something, make sure you
change all the variables so it makes at least a little bit of sense.

Score: 3/10

It's a love thing, considering all that attention and care. I'm a bit doubtful of the first guy's
commitment. I agree, it's not thorough enough. But the second guy: he's got what it takes! So I
agree about the groupies, but I have to say I'm a bit worried about the beard-burn.

--

Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,

>I can't believe how rude your are.

Have you understood a single thread you've read here in the past ten years? Do you still find this
so unbelievable?