How to train using a power meter?

powermad

Mar 17, 2003
I'm interested in others thoughts on training with a power meter. Previously I've trained with a HR monitor and I guess the training process is similar except to train within certain power ranges on particular days?? For example, if my LT power is 300W and I'm in an 8-week intense training period before a peak, and I'm currently training as follows:

Sunday: Easy ride, 2-3 hours, power range 180-250W

Monday: Hill/Force work, 5x6mins hills at 330W, recover at 180W

Tuesday: Easy ride, 1.5hours, power range 180-250W

Wednesday: LT/TT work, 2x20mins at 290-310W, recover at 180W

Thursday: Rest

Friday: Easy ride, 1.5hours, power range 150-200W, 3-4 x 2min efforts at 300W for pre-race loosen up.

Saturday: Race/TT

Any thoughts on this?

On easy days should I strictly adhere to the power ranges I'm setting and not go over 250W on hills etc..? I know the easy days should be easy, but if I hit some hills and drift to say 330 or 350W for 2-4mins, will this change the workout significantly?? My thinking is that training by HR was problematic because short efforts didn't show in HR changes but physiologically they still had an unwanted damaging/training effect (which ideally was to be avoided on easy days to save effort for hard days). I'm worried if my easy days include some efforts like this, say a few 2-4minute hills at 300W+, that all my training days start to look too similar rather than the easy days been very easy and the hard days (eg. LT work or hills) been much harder (maybe higher than the power levels I'm setting above)? This is my intensity/build training period after all??

Thoughts?

Originally posted by steve
There is some good info there, someone spent alot of time getting it together :rolleyes:

cheers
Could someone send me the link that was discribed above. I tried to go there but I got a bad gateway message. My email address is [email protected]

Ric, as the 'power crank king' (sorry 'tap' didn't have the same ring.

What do you think of the above website?

Also any idea where the above link went, where people can access the file? It was quite an interesting document.

Thanks

OK I have found another reference to the original Dr Coggan's article on power discussed previously within this thread at the following location in PDF format.

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/rechung/wattage/coggan.pdf

2Lap, I assume that you are interested in Ric Sterns view of the cyclingpeakssoftware site? Well Ric over to you...

However, if you are a fan of using TSS/IF scoring and power profiling then this is the definitive software for all your ride analysis. Try the downloadable 3-day trial version and see it for yourself.

Regards,

R.

Thanks for the link. I'm not yet using power to train, but doing a lot of reading around so that I am informed for when I get a meter. I'm affraid I blew my power meter fund on olympic tickets!! :)

Originally posted by 2LAP
Thanks for the link. I'm not yet using power to train, but doing a lot of reading around so that I am informed for when I get a meter. I'm affraid I blew my power meter fund on olympic tickets!! :)

For people just about or thinking of getting into training by Power the following link may be of interest.

http://www.monkeyhillcs.com/power/FAQ.pdf

It has the answers to most of the usually asked power questions.

R.

Performance Cycling
ISBN 952-5048-55-1

Adrie van Diemen and JJ Bastiaans wrote a booklet for Polar Finland concernig Power Training.

Maybe this booklet [48 pages] can help you.

www.webtrainer.nl