How to Train When You Can't Maintain a Perfect Schedule

Alpenrose

Feb 27, 2005
Which would be the best workout for me to do today after work? Ride on the roads, in the rain, ride on the trainer in the garage, or go to the gym and lift weights?

It’s Wednesday and I haven’t had a good road ride since Sunday. There really isn’t time for my typical 40+ mile circuit. It’s getting dark earlier and earlier, and the traffic is hell on week nights around here. I generally put actually road riding first, and do indoor training only when the conditions outside are next to impossible, such as dark and cold and wet (all three).

I haven’t been in the weight room for several weeks and it’s time to start my strength training for next year. Weights are usually my “off day” workout.

I just don’t have the time to schedule the perfect training program (I have to work for a living). I have to fit my workouts in the best I can, when I can.

So how do you decide?

Alpenrose said:
Which would be the best workout for me to do today after work? Ride on the roads, in the rain, ride on the trainer in the garage, or go to the gym and lift weights?

It’s Wednesday and I haven’t had a good road ride since Sunday. There really isn’t time for my typical 40+ mile circuit. It’s getting dark earlier and earlier, and the traffic is hell on week nights around here. I generally put actually road riding first, and do indoor training only when the conditions outside are next to impossible, such as dark and cold and wet (all three).

I haven’t been in the weight room for several weeks and it’s time to start my strength training for next year. Weights are usually my “off day” workout.

I just don’t have the time to schedule the perfect training program (I have to work for a living). I have to fit my workouts in the best I can, when I can.

So how do you decide?

what are your goals?

ric_stern/RST said:
what are your goals?
Good question and I should have mentioned it.
The season is over for road racing, so the main objective is to get ready for next year. I'm cat 4 and my main goal is to place in some races next year and move up. I never miss a chance to race.

It has taken more than 30 years for me to figure out the real value of a trainer (in spite of the fact that I had a custom set of rollers machined out of aluminum in 1970 -- with wider rollers so I wouldn't fall off and kill myself). But, I now view my trainer rides with power as some of my most important workouts. If I didn't have a power meter, my trainer rides would triple in importance. Some people (e.g., Andy Coggan) figured out the value of trainers and ergometers long ago, but I guess I'm just a little slow.

Alpenrose said:
Good question and I should have mentioned it.
The season is over for road racing, so the main objective is to get ready for next year. I'm cat 4 and my main goal is to place in some races next year and move up. I never miss a chance to race.

in general, if you want to improve at cycling, then ride your bike in a way that will help you increase your ability at your relative strengths and weaknesses.

in that respect, if the weather is inclement or your time is limited, then a RD suggests, the trainer is king.

if you're unsure how to structure your training, or want better advice then coaching is an excellent way forward (which we can help you with).

Cheers
Ric