How to treat a bike after a mudbath?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Trentus, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    Had an amazing mudbath of a ride this weekend (RR to follow soon) So what do I do to it now to
    ensure it survives to live long and prosper?

    I've washed it down. I've "Pro-link" treated the cluster, the chain and front cogs. I've also lubed
    all the cables with Pro-link. I've carefully cleaned out all muck from within the cluster, brake
    calipers, disc, etc. etc.

    Any areas of potential trouble I should look out for?

    Thanks in advance.

    Trentus

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Trentus <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    Buy it chocolates and run it a hot-tub full of scented water.

    Works with chicks....

    > Had an amazing mudbath of a ride this weekend (RR to follow soon) So what do I do to it now to
    > ensure it survives to live long and prosper?
    >
    > I've washed it down. I've "Pro-link" treated the cluster, the chain and front cogs. I've also
    > lubed all the cables with Pro-link. I've carefully cleaned out
    all
    > muck from within the cluster, brake calipers, disc, etc. etc.
    >
    > Any areas of potential trouble I should look out for?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Trentus

    Think you've got it covered.

    Shaun aRe

  3. Trentus wrote:
    > Had an amazing mudbath of a ride this weekend (RR to follow soon) So what do I do to it now to
    > ensure it survives to live long and prosper?
    >
    > I've washed it down. I've "Pro-link" treated the cluster, the chain and front cogs. I've also
    > lubed all the cables with Pro-link. I've carefully cleaned out all muck from within the cluster,
    > brake calipers, disc, etc. etc.
    >
    > Any areas of potential trouble I should look out for?

    It pays to make sure your chain is really clean. Small particles in it will just make everything
    wear much quicker. Headsets are something you didn't mention. You know how your front wheel just
    chucks crap and water upwards as you're riding? Yeah, well look where the bottom section of your
    headset is. It pays to pull it apart every now and again and grease it.

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: http://bombacommand.iwarp.com/ambfaq.htm

    b.bmx FAQ: http://bombacommand.iwarp.com/bmx_faq.htm

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Had an amazing mudbath of a ride this weekend (RR to follow soon) So what do I do to it now to
    > ensure it survives to live long and prosper?
    >
    > I've washed it down. I've "Pro-link" treated the cluster, the chain and front cogs. I've also
    > lubed all the cables with Pro-link. I've carefully cleaned out all muck from within the cluster,
    > brake calipers, disc, etc. etc.
    >
    > Any areas of potential trouble I should look out for?

    Yeah, the pissed off wards of the trail that you rutted up.

    JD

  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Had an amazing mudbath of a ride this weekend (RR to follow soon) So what do I do to it now to
    > ensure it survives to live long and prosper?
    >
    > I've washed it down. I've "Pro-link" treated the cluster, the chain and front cogs. I've also
    > lubed all the cables with Pro-link. I've carefully cleaned out
    all
    > muck from within the cluster, brake calipers, disc, etc. etc.
    >
    > Any areas of potential trouble I should look out for?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Trentus

    One hint I picked up somewhere was to remove the wheels before doing a serious wash. Water gets into
    the hubs too easily, was the stated reason for removing them. I didn't do that last year and made a
    mess of my Shimano XT freehub bearings. Probably used too much simple green degreaser on it too.

    And I never pressure washed it - raindrops only!

    YHMV (your hubs may vary)

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

  6. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    > "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Had an amazing mudbath of a ride this weekend (RR to follow soon) So what do I do to it now to
    > > ensure it survives to live long and
    prosper?

    > > I've washed it down. I've "Pro-link" treated the cluster, the chain and front cogs. I've also
    > > lubed all the cables with Pro-link. I've carefully cleaned out
    all
    > > muck from within the cluster, brake calipers, disc, etc. etc.
    > >
    > > Any areas of potential trouble I should look out for?
    >
    > Yeah, the pissed off wards of the trail that you rutted up.
    >
    > JD

    Sorry, but this trail is a logging track (not being used at present while it's a Mtn Bike Trail, but
    there are still signs warning bikers that trucks can use these tracks) There is no way that I
    couldn't possibly rut it any worse than the trucks do.

    Not to mention that the substantial depth of leaf and tree litter that now covers the ungroomed
    trails, is about the only thing that's going to get a rut in it. Beneath this leaf and branch litter
    the undersurface is compressed decompossed granite, which is usually what's used on Australian
    fire/logging trails, and is as tough as nails. If water courses are put across it (they are and they
    make great jumps) then there isn't much going to rut it.

    The majority of the mud came from the thousands of tons of dust and dirt - lifted from the massive
    areas of drought affected farming land across Australia - and dumped in a massive dust storm that
    came across half the East Coast.

    Trentus

  7. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

    > > Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > "Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > dirt -
    > > the

    > > > Obviously caused by mountain bikers!!
    > >
    > > Flying in Chinooks!
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    > >
    > But would they still be mountain bikers then? [waves finger over lips] brblblbrlrll
    > bllbllrlrllbllr
    >
    > Mike

    If they were riding their Mtn Bikes INSIDE the Chinook. Though you'd want the doors closed and a
    real tight turning circle on your bike.

    Trentus