how to treat crotch presure sores ?

VS1

Jun 6, 2005
Hi,
Could anybody advise what would be a good way to treat (or better avoid) crotch presure sores ? (appear after long rides)

VS1 said:
Hi,
Could anybody advise what would be a good way to treat (or better avoid) crotch presure sores ? (appear after long rides)

I think I've got some of the same thing going on. Are they large and zit like? Like there is obviously fluid accumulation and have a red/purple color? Painful to the touch?

Wear bib shorts.
Use a lube (Chamois Butter works for me).
When you are finished with the ride wash immediately, if your aren't at home take a change of clothes and some baby wipes.
If you get a sore keep it really clean, I found a "drawing salve" on the internet which helps it come to a head so you can pop it and relieve the pressure.

After the area is all cleaned, put Preperation H on them. Someone told me about it earlier this year and it seems to make the swelling go down.

Thanks - this preperation H -do you know how is it called in other countries ? I'm not in the states and sorry not to be familiar with this item..
Thanks again

VS1 said:
Thanks - this preperation H -do you know how is it called in other countries ? I'm not in the states and sorry not to be familiar with this item..
Thanks again

Preparation H...i think the 'H' stands for "Hemorrhoid" cream.
Here is the website. http://www.preparationh.com/index.asp

and this was the list of active ingredients

Active ingredient Purposes
Glycerin USP 14.4% ......................................... Protectant
Phenylephrine HCl USP 0.25% ........................ Vasoconstrictor
Pramoxine HCl USP 1% ......................... Local anesthetic
White petrolatum USP 15% ...................................... Protectant

I keep a container of Hibiclens in the shower, and if i start to feel anything during a ride, i make sure to use it. This is like super antibacterial stuff, and works really well, then dry thouroughly, and either powder your taint, or "bag balm" on it. Most small sores will be fixed in a day if you catch them early enough, if not you might have to take time off the bike. Also i don't think this has been said, but make sure you are wearing clean shorts everytime you go out.