how to unicycle books are kind of stupid

bugman wrote:
> *
>
> Of course. Now a book with a DVD included might give the
> best of both worlds. Maybe like a workshop. *

I guess when I initially considered writing a book, my
initial reaction was that it was a pretty archaic medium
compared to doing a DVD about a highly visual sport. Also,
the convention over the last couple of years has certainly
been to film unicycling, not write about it.

However, after thinking about it a bit more I'm starting to
reconsider, because there is a lot you can put on paper that
will be relevant forever, and not become obsolete as fast as
techniques described on
DVD.

However, I'm not sure that a combo DVD/book would work
though due to cost- I bet you'd end up with a $50+
instructional book that few people would actually buy.

Kris

--
danger_uni - Kris Holm
danger_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/21

danger_uni wrote:
> *
>
> I also would like to do a DVD...
>
> So if I wrote a book, would you be interested in
> buying it?
>
> Kris Holm. *

I would, if that means anything to anybody.

--
spyder - Bubbles

There are no stupid questions,
Just stupid people.
spyder's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4190

Yes, I'd buy either one. I think that in the case of
unicycling, I find video footage explaining techniques along
with detailed explanations (narrated) and maybe diagrams the
most helpful. I remember that being able to see the
relationship between the movement of the uni and your body
in Into The Thunder Dragon really helped me realise what I
was doing wrong with rail riding and stillstands. I think
diagrams are very powerful because they can leave out the
unneccessary info like the background and focus your
attension on the important stuff. I think a DVD with video
footage and diagrams would be perfect. Plus DVD's give you
the option of easily skipping to a chapter that covers
something you want to work on. Another thing that I know I'd
benefit from would be a narrated clip of the wrong
technique. Maybe a split-screen sort of thing would be
helpful with bad technique on one side and good technique on
the other.

How can you go into much more detail about techniques in
book format?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to buying my copy.

Andrew

*Edit* - My post is a bit outdated because I wrote it before
reading Kris' last one. Most of it still applies though.

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

Why not just an instructional DVD?

Who buys books anymore?

I think the student would get tons more info from a DVD
filled with your behind the scenes stuff like ITTD

I think it would be cheaper to produce and be on the market
alot quicker...it also might make it to Bike stores (helping
the sport grow) where a book wouldn't.

--
Sofa - you - pee - dee

'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
*72* products

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.02

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Sofa wrote:
> *Why not just an instructional DVD?
>
> Who buys books anymore?
>
> I think the student would get tons more info from a DVD
> filled with your behind the scenes stuff like ITTD
>
> I think it would be cheaper to produce and be on the
> market alot quicker...it also might make it to Bike stores
> (helping the sport grow) where a book wouldn't. *

That's exactly what I thought until I started scripting out
the DVD- I didn't even consider a book.

Now I've got 50 double spaced pages of text and counting,
and a lot of techniques info that could in many ways be
better explained with text and multiple-sequence photos than
it could with a DVD.

A book without photos would be lame, but multiple-sequence
shots plus text could work really well.

Plus, the history of mountain and trials unicycling deserves
to be written down at some point. I think this would make
for a great chapter iin a how-to book.

Kris.

--
danger_uni - Kris Holm
danger_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/21

Different people learn in different ways.

In print, a people can read about how a certain technique
should feel and other details that may not be obvious from a
video. Also, a book lets people digest information at their
own pace where a video generally throws information at them
more quickly.

Video, however, ties it all together. Watching someone do
something is more likely to create a "ah-ha!" moment than
just reading about it.

A Book\DVD combination however, would be like a one-two
punch. Can I get that in "coffee table book" format too? ;-)

I'd buy it either way.

--
mscalisi - Not such a newbie anymore
mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

danger_uni wrote:
> *
>

> Plus, the history of mountain and trials unicycling
> deserves to be written down at some point. I think this
> would make for a great chapter iin a how-to book.
>
> Kris. *

Sounds good to me, could you please include a chapter on 2
wheelers before I throw this damn thing off the balcony? ;)

--
Sofa - you - pee - dee

'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
*72* products

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.02

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Kris, on the subject of a video, I'd like to say that I
learnt heaps from watching some videos of you running trials
workshops somewhere in the states (at a unicon perhaps). I
forget where i downloaded them from, there were about 6 in
total and featured you explaining various techniques for
trials. They were good because you explained the idea behind
the actions quite well and then showed various ways of doing
it. I also liked the various shots of people biffing. gotta
love slapstick.

Sorry I dont know where they are online - someone here may
be able to help?

An instructional DVD would be a first for unicycling, right?
Most other sports based on tricks and skills seem to have a
plethora of vids and dvds on the subjects...i do a lot of
freestyle kayaking and the amount of 'how to' vids is
growing steadily.

I dont know if id buy an instructional dvd for unicycling
(part of the challenge is working moves/techniques out
myself, without outside help) as I get most enjoyment from
the fact I am doing things myself, without other people
helping me. Sure, it might have taken me twice as long to
learn my crank grind or reverse foot in front mount, but
hey, i think i get more satisfaction from it.

I'm sure a instructional dvd would sell very well though.

--
samuel - TROGDOR!! TROGDOR!!!

Gazzaloddi - Who says three inches can't be satisfying?
samuel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3535

samuel wrote:
> *An instructional DVD would be a first for unicycling,
> right? *

Not if you count Rough Terrain Unicycling by George Peck. It
was originally released on VHS, but was rereleased on DVD as
an extra feature.

That being said, as much as I enjoy George Peck, it is time
for something new. Some people like to work things out.
Others like to see it done and copy what they see, and
others are innovators. I will leave it to the innovators to
make a DVD so I can learn how to copy them.:D

Kris, as for the combo.... Do it seperately and as a combo.
If the book is $20, and the DVD is $20 then together you
could have a combo deal for $50. Make it some how a little
different as a incentive to get the combo. I'd buy it, of
course I will buy just about anything. I am probably the
only one that has 2 copies of Jack Wiley's book "the
Unicycle Book" It was just too good a deal to pass up. If
you try to buy it online at any of the antique or used book
sites it is consistantly $100. I paid almost $25 with
shipping. That is for a 30 year old out of date book!
Imagine if you had something fresh and new!!!

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

samuel wrote:
> *Sorry I dont know where they are online - someone here
> may be able to help?*

http://www.lutkus.com/unicycling

I would love a how-to book or DVD. As far as I know, the
only how-to books for unicycles didn't include a thing on
Mountain Unicycling or Trials.

--
James_Potter - Rettop_Semaj

-****, ****, ****!!-
-- Kris Holm

bugman wrote:
> *If the book is $20, and the DVD is $20 then together you
> could have a combo deal for $50.*

Umm.... Why would you buy the combo for fifty dollars,
instead of the book for $20 and the DVD for $20?

--
James_Potter - Rettop_Semaj

-****, ****, ****!!-
-- Kris Holm

James_Potter wrote:
> *
>
> Umm.... Why would you buy the combo for fifty dollars,
> instead of the book for $20 and the DVD for $20? *

Because as I suggested, the combo would have all kinds of
special stuff the 2 seperately wouldn't have. As I mentioned
earlier. It's called marketing. I am sure they do similiar
stuff with Harry Potter books.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

much as i like the idea of the book and accompanying DVD
available seperately, i doubt if the volume of projected
sales would justify the expense of creating the DVD

some of the ideas expressed in this thread have been
stunning i love the idea of the split-screen shots comparing
the 'right' way to the 'wrong' way

i would definately buy the book (and the DVD, should that
happen. after buying UNiVERSe 2, i'm actually thinking about
buying a DVD-player...;))

and if the book turns out to be a lil' bit of everything,
ie. a major how-to muni/trails guide, a history of non-
freestyle unicycling and a coffee tabley kinda book, i think
it will do really well

what kind of format are u thinking of for the book kris? 'coffee-
tabley' (to coin a phrase) or ringbound with laminated or
plastic pages so u can take it out on the trials without
getting worried about it getting messed up?

--
GILD - Waffle-****** (ocfopgm)

only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. i think
it's
in my basement...let me go upstairs and check.
~ m. c. escher

'[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
(http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
Namaste!
Dave

yeah, I think I would like to buy a how to offroad unicycle
book or dvd. Even though the first part of my thread was
saying "how to" unicycle books are stupid. Haha I think I've
changed my mind.

--
Mike_Foote - Violinist and Unicyclist

Long live unicycling
Mike_Foote's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6204

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:26:42 -0500, "danger_uni" wrote:

>So if I wrote a book, would you be interested in buying it?

Put me down for a copy.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule
on the English weight system

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:22:12 -0500, "Mike_Foote" wrote:

>I'm just saying that the "how to unicycle" book that i've
>read didnt have enough actual helpfull information to be
>worth the money.

So, which book was it then?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule
on the English weight system

> I'm glad someone started this thread, because I'm thinking
> about writing a how-to book on mountain and trials
> unicycling. In other words, I want to write down what I've
> learned in this sport over the past 18 years or so of off-
> road riding.
>
> I also would like to do a DVD but the challenge is this:
> although sometimes it's easiest to show a technique (i.e.
> film it), it's possible to go into way more detail about
> moves and techniques if it's done in book format.
>
> So if I wrote a book, would you be interested in
> buying it?
>
> Kris Holm.

Yes.

More strongly: if you wrote said book, I *would* buy it.