How to wash your road bike...!?

Sando

Jun 22, 2006
Anyone know of a good website that shows you how to wash your road bike (REALLY) well?!?!

Any help would be appreciated!:)

Sando said:
Anyone know of a good website that shows you how to wash your road bike (REALLY) well?!?!

erm...with water? :confused:

Uhm....it's not particularly hard.....water....soap.....rag. Just don't point high pressure water at things with bearings........

As Alienator said, it's pretty simple. But let's do it logically.

1) Degrease those oily drivetrain parts ie. Cogs, chain, derailleurs.
2) Water (no jet), dish washing detergent, sponge.
3) Dry rag.
4) Car wax to polish the frame.
5) Re-lube.

Don't forget to turn your bike upside down to let out those water in the frame. Also, fully deflate the tyres and loosen those valve stems from the rim and let the wheels sit with the valve hole at the bottom. You'll find that water collected within the rims would drain out slowly.

sogood said:
2) Water (no jet), dish washing detergent, sponge.
BZZZZT wrong - lose 5 points

dishwashing liquid contains sodium (salt) try to avoid unless you have a bike made entirely of Satinless steel

suggest you use car washing detergent.

my 0.02c

Lama said:
BZZZZT wrong - lose 5 points

dishwashing liquid contains sodium (salt) try to avoid unless you have a bike made entirely of Satinless steel

suggest you use car washing detergent.
Really? That's an interesting one. Does the amount of Na in dishwashing liquid really make a difference?

sogood said:
Really? That's an interesting one. Does the amount of Na in dishwashing liquid really make a difference?
well lets just say i'd rather keep any Na away from the bike.

sure we sweat on the bike and all, but i always try wipe my bike down after a good sweat-a-thon and wash it once a week

Lama said:
well lets just say i'd rather keep any Na away from the bike.

sure we sweat on the bike and all, but i always try wipe my bike down after a good sweat-a-thon and wash it once a week
Fair enough. I understand that Dawn, a well known liquid detergent in the US is often the preferred product for washing bikes and cars (before the next wax job).

For me, I am less concerned as after you've diluted it in a bucket, the concentration is so low. By the time you've rinsed it with your hose, you've effectively taken it down to environmental levels.

Sando said:

Or if you’re slightly more ambitious…

I highly recommend learning how to disassemble and reassemble your bike. Most parts are much easier to clean off the bike than on. And a frame is dead easy to clean when all the parts are off! You can even use a little water pressure. Surprisingly, to me at least, most of the mechanical tasks on a road bike are quite simple to do!

It’s a little more work but it’s a labour of love! I do a full cleaning once or twice a season and it makes the regular periodic cleaning much easier. After a particularly wet or dirty ride, I won’t hesitate to remove the chain and cassette to properly degrease and re-lube them. I find this actually a lot easier and less messy than trying to clean the chain and cassette while they are still on the bike. There’s something very rewarding about having a smooth shifting, clean machine - all from your own work.

If you decide to take this on, there are a few good manuals out there to help you along the way. I would highly recommend 'Zinn, and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance.'

Good luck!
Pad

I just use these kitchen wipe thingsfrom Costco. It's clean and easy. I never use a hose. My road bike is never really that dirty.

Oh, and I wipe it down about once a week, depending on how much or where I've been riding.

i use simple green and paper towels on my fleet. makes it quick and easy to wash them in the basement. then twice a year i'll wax the frames with some mothers car wax, keeps them looking brand new.