How very pleasant.

Tony Raven

Guest
Laying a load of concrete today and did not get finished till quite late
but the sun was shining and there was just time if I was quick to throw
in a quick ten miler before sun down. So instead of the usual faff of
digging out the cycling gear, filling the camelback and putting on the
cycling shoes I just threw on a windproof gilet, swapped my sandals for
my Shimano sandals, took the bike down off the hook and headed out. And
although it wasn't quite as comfortable on the saddle without the padded
shorts I couldn't help but think how very pleasant and easy it was just
getting on and going rather than faffing with getting all dressed up and
changing again back home. Perhaps I'll start doing more trips this way
in future.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

> Laying a load of concrete today and did not get finished till quite late
> but the sun was shining and there was just time if I was quick to throw in
> a quick ten miler before sun down. So instead of the usual faff of
> digging out the cycling gear, filling the camelback and putting on the
> cycling shoes I just threw on a windproof gilet, swapped my sandals for my
> Shimano sandals, took the bike down off the hook and headed out. And
> although it wasn't quite as comfortable on the saddle without the padded
> shorts

Sounds as though you need a new proper saddle!

On Apr 29, 5:27 pm, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Laying a load of concrete today and did not get finished till quite late
> but the sun was shining and there was just time if I was quick to throw
> in a quick ten miler before sun down. So instead of the usual faff of
> digging out the cycling gear, filling the camelback and putting on the
> cycling shoes I just threw on a windproof gilet, swapped my sandals for
> my Shimano sandals, took the bike down off the hook and headed out. And
> although it wasn't quite as comfortable on the saddle without the padded
> shorts I couldn't help but think how very pleasant and easy it was just
> getting on and going rather than faffing with getting all dressed up and
> changing again back home. Perhaps I'll start doing more trips this way
> in future.
>
> --
> Tony
>
> "The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
> is no good evidence either way."
> - Bertrand Russell

I don't know if it's ol' school or just as it should be, but just
jumping on the bike and heading out is something I rarely do, but when
I do I always say I should do this more often. The only thing I do
have to switch are my shoes (spd pedals only), I have a couple pairs
of casual riding shoes, trainers with cleats. Years ago I used to live
in this sort of casual cycling shoes, I'd spend all day in school
wearing 'em.

My usual cycle rides include about 15-20 mins of prep time, filling
the camelpak, finding that missing left glove and missing right sock,
working out my route, letting the wife know where I'll be, trying to
find the damn cell phone, working out whether I need to carry extra
carbs, giving the cell phone a quick charge 'cos I let it go flat and
answering the phone because you know it always rings as you shut the
back door.

Yes, just grab the bike and go rides are a lot of fun.

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> Laying a load of concrete today and did not get finished till quite late
> but the sun was shining and there was just time if I was quick to throw
> in a quick ten miler before sun down. So instead of the usual faff of
> digging out the cycling gear, filling the camelback and putting on the
> cycling shoes I just threw on a windproof gilet, swapped my sandals for
> my Shimano sandals, took the bike down off the hook and headed out. And
> although it wasn't quite as comfortable on the saddle without the padded
> shorts I couldn't help but think how very pleasant and easy it was just
> getting on and going rather than faffing with getting all dressed up and
> changing again back home. Perhaps I'll start doing more trips this way
> in future.

mostly thats how i ride, ie jump on big green and peddle to where i'm
going to.

roger

> Laying a load of concrete today and did not get finished till quite late
> but the sun was shining and there was just time if I was quick to throw in
> a quick ten miler before sun down. So instead of the usual faff of
> digging out the cycling gear, filling the camelback and putting on the
> cycling shoes I just threw on a windproof gilet, swapped my sandals for my
> Shimano sandals, took the bike down off the hook and headed out. And
> although it wasn't quite as comfortable on the saddle without the padded
> shorts I couldn't help but think how very pleasant and easy it was just
> getting on and going rather than faffing with getting all dressed up and
> changing again back home. Perhaps I'll start doing more trips this way in
> future.

Did you manage to get a more comfortable saddle?

Paul Rudin wrote on 02/05/2007 18:14 +0100:
> Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> ...ten miler... filling the camelback ...

> Shome mishtake, Shirley?

No, and stop calling me Shirley ;-) I normally fill a Camelback to go
on a ride but since this was a short one I didn't feel the need to
bother, or to change or any of the other palaver I normally engage in
for longer rides.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:

> since this was a short one I didn't feel the need
> to bother, or to change or any of the other palaver I normally
> engage in for longer rides.

A variety of errands meant that I have done 35km today, mostly
around the city, in work clothes. Whatever about the Camelbak I
certainly would have liked to be in shorts! Unfortunately I had to
do a presentation to students at another site so had to stay in the
regulation jeans and t-shirt[1].

Brendan

[1] It's tough being an academic. Really!
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

Brendan Halpin wrote on 02/05/2007 18:58 +0100:
> Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> since this was a short one I didn't feel the need
>> to bother, or to change or any of the other palaver I normally
>> engage in for longer rides.

> A variety of errands meant that I have done 35km today, mostly
> around the city, in work clothes. Whatever about the Camelbak I
> certainly would have liked to be in shorts! Unfortunately I had to
> do a presentation to students at another site so had to stay in the
> regulation jeans and t-shirt[1].
>
> Brendan
>
> [1] It's tough being an academic. Really!

T-shirt and sandals surely with ungroomed beard ;-)

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:

> Brendan Halpin wrote on 02/05/2007 18:58 +0100:
>> do a presentation to students at another site so had to stay in the
>> regulation jeans and t-shirt[1].
>> [1] It's tough being an academic. Really!

> T-shirt and sandals surely with ungroomed beard ;-)

I'm planning to get a pair of SPD sandals, but my wife objects when
I let the beard go beyond about 10 days. That's not ungroomed, is
it?

Brendan
--

Brendan Halpin wrote on 02/05/2007 19:16 +0100:
> Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Brendan Halpin wrote on 02/05/2007 18:58 +0100:
>>> do a presentation to students at another site so had to stay in the
>>> regulation jeans and t-shirt[1].
>>> [1] It's tough being an academic. Really!

>> T-shirt and sandals surely with ungroomed beard ;-)

> I'm planning to get a pair of SPD sandals, but my wife objects when
> I let the beard go beyond about 10 days. That's not ungroomed, is
> it?

No, that's divorce ;-)

--

Tony Raven wrote:

> T-shirt and sandals surely with ungroomed beard ;-)

You've /no idea/ how hard it is to sew leather elbow-patches onto a
T shirt...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> Paul Rudin wrote on 02/05/2007 18:14 +0100:
>> Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> ...ten miler... filling the camelback ...

>> Shome mishtake, Shirley?
>>

> No, and stop calling me Shirley ;-) I normally fill a Camelback to go on
> a ride but since this was a short one I didn't feel the need to bother, or
> to change or any of the other palaver I normally engage in for longer
> rides.

What is a camelback?

Alan Holmes Alan Holmesd:
> What is a camelback?

I believe it's a variant spelling of "Camelbak".

If this doesn't clarify matters for you then GIYF.

"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

Alan Holmes wrote on 03/05/2007 12:06 +0100:
> "Membrane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> What is a camelback?

>> A drinking bottle different from most
>> http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=93&idproduct=14979
>> Not designed for use on a bike, but popular amongst cyclists
>> anyway.

> Thanks!

I think mine must have got run over because it's a flattened version of
those with a very long squished out spout and has to be held together in
a back pack ;-)