How wear- and flat-resistant are Vittoria Corso EVOs?

Dave Stallard

Guest
Just had my first flat on the new bike, after about 1300 miles. A small
piece of glass was the do-er, rear tire.

Looking at the tire, which is a Vittoria Corso EVO, I did see the casing
had a lot of cuts, etc, in it. Which got me to wondering: how
wear-resistant and flat-resistant are these tires? I also wonder how
well they will hold on wet surfaces, as they're pretty treadless.

I had a Specialized Turbo 23C as my rear tire on the old bike, and I
never had a flat on that tire, in several years of riding. Before that,
I tried Specialized Armadillos, but the ride was harsh (and I wasn't
that impressed by the durability). Any recommendations for road tires
that are reasonably flat-resistant, but offer a good ride?

I know flats are inevitable, but I just hate 'em.

Dave

Dave Stallard said:
Just had my first flat on the new bike, after about 1300 miles. A small
piece of glass was the do-er, rear tire.

Looking at the tire, which is a Vittoria Corso EVO, I did see the casing
had a lot of cuts, etc, in it. Which got me to wondering: how
wear-resistant and flat-resistant are these tires? I also wonder how
well they will hold on wet surfaces, as they're pretty treadless.

I had a Specialized Turbo 23C as my rear tire on the old bike, and I
never had a flat on that tire, in several years of riding. Before that,
I tried Specialized Armadillos, but the ride was harsh (and I wasn't
that impressed by the durability). Any recommendations for road tires
that are reasonably flat-resistant, but offer a good ride?

I know flats are inevitable, but I just hate 'em.

Dave

I have been racing (tri) Armadillos and had good luck with them. Isn't there some protective strip that you can put between the inner tube and the tire? Do not know what it is called though. One of my mtb buddies puts an old tube around the good one that is used to inflate the tire, never tried this for the road though.

Pete

Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote:
> Looking at the tire, which is a Vittoria Corso EVO, I did see the casing
> had a lot of cuts, etc, in it. Which got me to wondering: how
> wear-resistant and flat-resistant are these tires?

not damn very. if you want that & vittoria the rubino pro are quite a bit
better on both counts.

> that are reasonably flat-resistant, but offer a good ride?

avocet fasgrip.

> I know flats are inevitable, but I just hate 'em.

goathead thorns.. how i learned to stop worrying and love flats.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 01:15:49 +1000, big Pete
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have been racing (tri) Armadillos and had good luck with them. Isn't
>there some protective strip that you can put between the inner tube and
>the tire? Do not know what it is called though.

One such strip is called Mr. Tuffy. It slows the tire down a lot.
Very good product, but not for racing.

JT

David Reuteler wrote:

> Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Looking at the tire, which is a Vittoria Corso EVO, I did see the casing
>>had a lot of cuts, etc, in it. Which got me to wondering: how
>>wear-resistant and flat-resistant are these tires?

> not damn very. if you want that & vittoria the rubino pro are quite a bit
> better on both counts.

I don't really care about having Vittoria; they were just what the guy
who built the bike for me put on. I wonder if 1300 miles is already
pushing their wear limit...

Dave

Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Just had my first flat on the new bike, after about 1300 miles. A small
> piece of glass was the do-er, rear tire.
>
> Looking at the tire, which is a Vittoria Corso EVO, I did see the casing
> had a lot of cuts, etc, in it. Which got me to wondering: how
> wear-resistant and flat-resistant are these tires? I also wonder how
> well they will hold on wet surfaces, as they're pretty treadless.
>
> I had a Specialized Turbo 23C as my rear tire on the old bike, and I
> never had a flat on that tire, in several years of riding. Before that,
> I tried Specialized Armadillos, but the ride was harsh (and I wasn't
> that impressed by the durability). Any recommendations for road tires
> that are reasonably flat-resistant, but offer a good ride?
>
> I know flats are inevitable, but I just hate 'em.
>
> Dave

Hi Dave, I think if you've went 1300mi on these tires, and just now
have experienced a problem, this doesn't sound bad to me, in fact it
sounds darn good.

I'll agree with you, it is a bit of a heartbreak when a $50 some odd
dollar tire goes caput.
I've been using these same tires, and I've been quite happy with them
so far. They seem like a quality product, and to me, it doesn't matter
that they're made in Thailand. I like the light weight of them, and
they do ride good. I run mine at 120psi front, and back. Mark

Mark wrote:

> Hi Dave, I think if you've went 1300mi on these tires, and just now
> have experienced a problem, this doesn't sound bad to me, in fact it
> sounds darn good.
>
> I'll agree with you, it is a bit of a heartbreak when a $50 some odd
> dollar tire goes caput.
> I've been using these same tires, and I've been quite happy with them
> so far. They seem like a quality product, and to me, it doesn't matter
> that they're made in Thailand. I like the light weight of them, and
> they do ride good. I run mine at 120psi front, and back. Mark

Well, yesterday on my century ride, I had another puncture. That makes
two flats on two successive weekends. So I have decided to impose the
penalty of death on the Vittorias. Time for new tires.

DaVe