How were last year's marathons?

Jonathan Bond

Guest
Compared to this year's? I was going to get a marathon SL, now I'm thinking maybe get a Marathon 100
from last year.... its like $125 less (already discounted on both counts).

Thanks!

Jon Bond

"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Compared to this year's? I was going to get a marathon SL, now I'm thinking maybe get a Marathon
> 100 from last year.... its like $125 less (already discounted on both counts).

Thought I'd answer fast before you amplify on your question! :)

My belief -- not necessarily impeded by facts -- is that the '02 Marathon is lighter (and therefore
slightly flexier) than the '03 model(s).

Chris at Speedgoat implied than the '03 was a better choice for disc brakes. I run V's, so the 2002
M seems plenty stiff for a stiff like me.

There were aslo issues with the negative air chambers on many '02's I've heard, but mine has been
trouble-free so far (knock on manganese).

Bill "H2 muddier O" S.

"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Compared to this year's? I was going to get a marathon SL, now I'm thinking maybe get a Marathon
> 100 from last year.... its like $125 less (already discounted on both counts).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jon Bond

It's been berry good for me. I ride it like a downhiller and it has held up fine to the abuse. I
have had a little problem with the negative cartridge sticking down and then spewing oil when I
released the pressure from it. It has been fine ever since I did that though. I need to service it
and replace the oil and check the seals. This will be the first time I've been in it in a year. The
only thing I could think is better in the '03 ver is the six position dampening cliker and maybe
they got the negative cartridge right.

Mike

Jonathan Bond wrote:
> Compared to this year's? I was going to get a marathon SL, now I'm thinking maybe get a Marathon
> 100 from last year.... its like $125 less (already discounted on both counts).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jon Bond

I am calling Marzocchi and asking for a refund/replacement on Monday for not one but two 2002
Marathons. The negative air chamber fills with oil and causes the fork to pack down. I have sent
both forks back to Marzocchi twice to have the problem fixed, and now each fork is exhibiting the
same symptoms a third time. Three strikes, they're out.

Fox 100 rl.

My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

> Jonathan Bond wrote:
> > Compared to this year's? I was going to get a marathon SL, now I'm thinking maybe get a Marathon
> > 100 from last year.... its like $125 less (already discounted on both counts).
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Jon Bond
> >

> I am calling Marzocchi and asking for a refund/replacement on Monday for not one but two 2002
> Marathons. The negative air chamber fills with oil and causes the fork to pack down. I have sent
> both forks back to Marzocchi twice to have the problem fixed, and now each fork is exhibiting the
> same symptoms a third time. Three strikes, they're out.
>
> Fox 100 rl.

Although I've never experienced this I would say that the positive air chamber leaks and the fork
drops down, in this position the negative chamber will fill with oil and come out of the valve hole,
it does that even if it's working properly and you let all the air out of the main chamber. I'm not
a big fan of any fork that uses air to support both ends for this reason, when things go wrong with
them they go really wrong.

--
_________________________

Chris Phillipo wrote:

>>Jonathan Bond wrote:
>>
>>>Compared to this year's? I was going to get a marathon SL, now I'm thinking maybe get a Marathon
>>>100 from last year.... its like $125 less (already discounted on both counts).
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>
>>>Jon Bond
>>>

>>I am calling Marzocchi and asking for a refund/replacement on Monday for not one but two 2002
>>Marathons. The negative air chamber fills with oil and causes the fork to pack down. I have sent
>>both forks back to Marzocchi twice to have the problem fixed, and now each fork is exhibiting the
>>same symptoms a third time. Three strikes, they're out.
>>
>>Fox 100 rl.

> Although I've never experienced this I would say that the positive air chamber leaks and the fork
> drops down, in this position the negative chamber will fill with oil and come out of the valve
> hole, it does that even if it's working properly and you let all the air out of the main chamber.
> I'm not a big fan of any fork that uses air to support both ends for this reason, when things go
> wrong with them they go really wrong.

guess I'll go with the new one then. I get really nice treatment because of the sponsorship gig, so
if anything goes wrong, its not a problem ;)

Jon Bond